how would you rank his films so far?

Started by Robyn, October 23, 2017, 09:37:05 PM

Robyn

there is probably an older thread, but i'm interesting in seeing what everyone thinks a couple of films later.

1. the master
2. there will be blood
3. magnolia
4. punch-drunk love
5. inherent vice
6. boogie nights
7. sydney

Yes

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Boogie Nights
3. Magnolia
4. The Master
5. Punch-Drunk Love
6. Inherent Vice
7. Hard 8

wilberfan

Sure.  I'll play.  But my ranking is based on how much i respond to each film.  (It also more or less describes how many times I've seen them.)

1. Boogie Nights
2. Magnolia
3. Punch-Drunk Love
4. There Will Be Blood
5. The Master
6. Hard Eight
7. Inherent Vice

I think TWBB may well be his best film--but Boogie Nights will always be my favorite of his films.

[edit]  I just noticed that 1 - 5 on my list happens to match the order in which I first saw these films.

Jeremy Blackman

1. Magnolia
2. Punch-Drunk Love
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Boogie Nights
5. The Master
6. Inherent Vice
7. Hard Sydney

wilberfan

I've often wondered if the order in which you see PTA's films has any effect on your ranking of them...  Thoughts?

Lottery

I reckon if you're one of his earlier fans, you're more likely to rank Magnolia higher.

Probably:

1. The Master
2. Punch Drunk Love
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Boogie Nights
5. Inherent Vice
6. Magnolia
7. Sydney

polkablues

This is like Sophie's Choice, except instead of forcing me to choose which of my children I would let die, you're asking me to do something hard.

1. Blood
2. Mag
3. Mast
4. Boog
5. Punch
6. Vice
7. Syd
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

Even though on a scene-by-scene basis his more recent work may be stronger or more original, there's still nothing that matches the sheer emotional intensity of Magnolia for me, and I'm sure many of us. It's like a cathartic tidal wave. His filmography aside, the only other thing that comes close to achieving its feeling is Margaret, in my eyes. So...

Phantom Thread
Magnolia
Boogie Nights
Inherent Vice
There Will Be Blood
The Master
Punch-Drunk Love
Hard Eight

This is becoming increasingly hard. I dig the performance more in TWBB but the filmmaking more in The Master. The sort of beat down regal gentleman vibe of Hard Eight more than Punch-Drunk, but it being his earliest work, by nature it just isn't as tightly executed and doesn't have as unique rhythm. I'd probably care for The Master more if he'd done another draft. It was pretty shocking when the version that came out was so close to that early script that leaked. As much as I like it, the story seems a little undercooked to me. But then again, given that it was sort of his first non-adaptation, non filmmaker inspired movie (in the way Hard Eight had Bob le flambeur and Boogie Nights has Goodfellas etc as models) maybe that was to be expected. I don't know. I like them all. I like everything.

WorldForgot

1. Inherent Vice (... when I watch this film it's as if all of my feelings about life, and the reverberations of the feelings I've forgotten, have been distilled onto celluloid)
2. There Will Be Blood
3. The Master
4. Punch-Drunk Love
5. Magnolia
6. Boogie Nights
7. Hard Sydney

Drenk

Well.

1) Magnolia
2) There Will Be Blood
3) Punch Drunk Love
4) Whatever
5) Sydney
Ascension.

Shughes

Ranked:

1. There Will Be Blood
2. The Master
3. Magnolia
4. Boogie Nights
5. Punch Drunk Love
6. Inherent Vice
7. Sydney

Order I first watched:

1. Boogie Nights (VHS)
2. Sydney (VHS - UK so 'Hard Eight', ratio cropped, etc)
3. Magnolia (DVD)
4. Punch Drunk Love (Cinema)
5. There Will Be Blood (Cinema)
6. The Master (Cinema)
7. Inherent Vice (Cinema)

I'm not sure if the order in which I watched has had an effect on my rankings, but would argue that the format in which I watched had an effect on the impact of each film. Down to the fact that Sydney/Hard Eight was pan and scan VHS and looked like crap. I later re-watched in the correct aspect ratio and liked it a whole lot more. Still at the bottom of my list - but every film on the list is great!

Sleepless

Based on nothing more than my personal love:

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Magnolia
3. Boogie Nights
4. Punch-Drunk Love
5. Sydney
6. Inherent Vice
7. The Master
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

1. Punch Drunk Love
2. Magnolia
3. Boogie Nights
4. There Will Be Blood
5. The Master
6. Hard Eight
7. Inherent Vice

HACKANUT

I'm a very compulsive film watcher, often rewatching the same film many many times because I enjoy living in their worlds. I've lost track of how many times i've seen Pauls movies but I'm gonna try to guess as well.

In order by how compulsively I rewatch each film:

1. The Master (50+)(5 times in theaters)
2. Inherent Vice (50+)(4 times in theaters)
3. Punch Drunk Love (~30)
4. Boogie Nights (~30)
5. There Will Be Blood(~30)
6. Magnolia (~10)
7. Hard Eight (5)

I much prefer post-coke PTA.
but I do think There Will Be Blood and The Master are his most important films, even though I tend to not rewatch Blood nearly as much as the comfort food that is The Master and Inherent Vice.

Reel

I can never believe someone who says they've seen a movie over 50 times, unless you actually made that movie or you're 4 years old watching "Frozen". My conclusion is that you may have pressed play and had it on in the room 50 times, but you haven't actually sat down and seen the thing front to back that much. That's just too many goddamn times! The only movie I could honestly say I might have watched that much is Disney's "Beauty And The Beast" because it was the first VHS I ever owned so it I played it like clockwork everyday after school.