Die Antwoord

Started by Neil, February 06, 2010, 11:36:33 PM

Neil

Has anyone here heard of this?  Here are 3 must watch video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3f4xU_FfQ&feature=related

I'm just not sure what to make of it.   South African Rap
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pedro

That is some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen.  There is no way they are taking themselves seriously.  A Richie Rich tattoo?  Also, what the fuck is happening in the second video?  Pretty terrifying.  Also hilarious.

Stefen

lol. I liked homeboys Dark Side of the Moon boxers.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Yeah, it's fake, but who cares? It's insane. That white chick creeps me out Gummo style.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Yeah, I'm with that article.  Who is using the word "fake" though?
I saw a couple of these videos last week and it's immediately obvious they are characters... they're just really good characters and the videos are fantastic.  Who thought they were really as messed up as they're pretending?

Quote from: Stefen on February 07, 2010, 10:22:36 PM
That white chick creeps me out Gummo style.

She gives me a creepy boner, Gummo style.

Neil

a buddy of mine showed it to me and i kept saying, "is this serious" and he said said it was.  So without further investigation i posted it up here.   Kind of a bummer, but still very funny

Next level beats.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

matt35mm

I shouldn't like this as much as I do.  Jokey white rappers have definitely been done before, but this is definitely the best I've ever seen.  Next level, indeed.

RegularKarate

Quote from: matt35mm on February 08, 2010, 03:59:53 PM
I shouldn't like this as much as I do.  Jokey white rappers have definitely been done before, but this is definitely the best I've ever seen.  Next level, indeed.

Yeah, I don't even see it as just "Jokey white rappers", I think it's actually pretty skillful and more of a unique character than a joke.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This is why hype sucks.  If this band just came out, we could all assess what we liked and didn't like about it.  But they have a "story" and because it isn't true, then it undoes their talent somehow.

Whatever happened to separating art from the artist?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on February 08, 2010, 04:21:36 PM
Whatever happened to separating art from the artist?

what are you talking about man? if it's known to everyone in south africa that they're not a real band, that they're actors and this band is like a sketch in a tv show then that's how they're sposed to be known as artists.. as comedians. it's OBVIOUS from the fact none of the dude's marks on his body look real, among other things.

neil's friends are idiots if they thought it was real. but the context is what makes it even better art, if u wanna call it that, i would just say it's clever entertainment. the videogum dude explained it really well, and it doesn't take anything away from it to know that it's part of a show or whatever. the context that it's a bunch of white dudes that were born to apartheid era bigots (probably, from the shots of the old ppl, they look like the souf african equivalent of white trash) is the ENTIRE POINT.. so why wouldn't you want to know that?

ignorance is shit.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Ok, that makes sense.  I overlooked the context of them being a joke band, but still, Flight of the Conchords are talented.  In their own way, Die Antwoord are talented in maintaining a false image and producing it fairly well.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye