Buying a new computer

Started by SoNowThen, August 11, 2003, 01:12:56 PM

SoNowThen

'kay boys, I need your expert opinions here...

We just finished shooting a just-under 30 min short on Canon XL1S. We're gonna buy a new comp to edit on. What kinds of comps should I pick from (so far I've heard a Dell, or maybe a powerbook G5)? I don't know dick all. Also, what editing programs should I go with (avid has a new personal home program, don't they?) Perhaps Final Cut would be better?

We need to be able to mask the picture for 1.85:1, and re-frame, and possibly speed up and slow down shots, and maybe even blow up frames a little bit. I know avid can do that, can the other editing programs?

I also need an easily learnable sound editing program. Also, I want a comp with a dvd burner, so we can go in with firewire from my camera, and come out super-high res onto a dvd.

I'm looking at about 4-5 hours of raw footage to bring in.

We wanna spend around $3000 American. Can we get what we need for this?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, p.s., - is there anything else I should add/consider???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

G5.

Final Cut Pro.

Good luck.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

metroshane

can you cut HD on final cut pro?  I know the express box says you can do MiniDV, but the Pro version doesn't really say.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

metroshane

never mind, found the info and it does.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThen' Also, what editing programs should I go with (avid has a new personal home program, don't they?) Perhaps Final Cut would be better?
tons of info here.....
Quote4-5 hours of raw footage to bring in
that's close to 40Gb's of space right there...need a big hard or a nice external firewire drive.....
QuoteOh, p.s., - is there anything else I should add/consider???
If you don't get a laptop....a decent Monitor will set you back a couple bills....and make sure you have a good video card....