This place is BIPOLAR.

Started by Stefen, July 31, 2008, 10:27:58 AM

Stefen

Is xixax dying?  :yabbse-sad:

I thought it was just a lull, but it's lasted a very long time.  :yabbse-thumbdown:

What can we do to get this place hopping like it used to be? Sure, it's never been bursting with activity (that was part of it's charm imo), but this place is a graveyard these days.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Quote from: Stefen on July 31, 2008, 10:27:58 AM
Is xixax dying?  :yabbse-sad:

I thought it was just a lull, but it's lasted a very long time.  :yabbse-thumbdown:

What can we do to get this place hopping like it used to be? Sure, it's never been bursting with activity (that was part of it's charm imo), but this place is a graveyard these days.

agree. said something about it a couple of weeks ago, cause if you look at the site stats, it blows.

it's all pubricks fault.

it's been a while since a thread was locked. do it again, guys. for me. for old times' sake.
context, context, context.

Stefen

Someone needs to just log onto P's account and make a 10,000th post and get it out of the way.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

this place has definitely slowed down, but as far as i'm concerned, xixax is still simply wherever your MacGuffin is.

is there a way to be proactive about the silence without spending money on advertisements or whatever? maybe try sending a pm to all the members just to see if they'd like to come check it out again or putting the word out on other sites to attract other users?

one thing that i think will help would be to keep personal attacks out of threads... it seemed to me like there was a streak of time prior to now in which most of the non-news posts were vaguely film-related fights that aren't any fun to read. it's the type of thing that discourages people from lurking, let alone posting. maybe more posters will return with a more welcoming atmosphere.

maybe we could also try making idle chatter visible to unregistered users. ... plus, if it's possible to bring back custom ranks, that seemed to be popular.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

RegularKarate

Quote from: reinhold on July 31, 2008, 12:36:45 PM
one thing that i think will help would be to keep personal attacks out of threads...

Great idea! 
Spoiler: ShowHide
You fucking idiot

maybe cinema is dead

hedwig

Quote from: RegularKarate on July 31, 2008, 12:46:43 PM
maybe cinema is dead
you got it.

and for everyone who's been wondering what it's gonna take to bring back pubrick, i have the answer for you: Power Play. :shock:

Stefen

If Wall•E didn't bring him back, then maybe new PTA will.

for petes sake

why did he leave in the first place?

pete

no one is watching movies.  I used to come here to find out about the movies I can't find in the papers, but fuck, man, fuck.
andykal thought I was tailing him a week ago, but really, it was because he was the only person actually watching movies these days.
also the lack of search button - sometimes I wanna discuss shit or wanna add to something I've read here long ago but can't find the last discussion on the said subject.
but I'm still here, wishing, hoping, thinking, and praying.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

Yea, even I've lost a little zest for watching movies. My problem has always been that I've lived in the sticks and had to wait til video for most interesting releases, but its hard to always wait for the great new film to get on DVD. It gets tiring because everyone you know has already seen it and the excitement is already on the next film to come.

I still watch and think about film a lot, but I've also gotten into music pretty big. Music releases are equal for everyone so its easier to feel like you are in the mix with exception to being able to see all the shows I want to, but I feel I'll prioritize film back to my immediate future in the near future. These things go in circle. You can't always be huge about film, but I try to bring as much discussion to the board as I can.

But yea, the board seems dead for members. I always see a million guests and wonder why they aren't more active.

matt35mm

Hey, I watch movies.  My movie-watching experiences are as manifold and rich as ever.  I just don't talk about them here because this place is dead.

hedwig

pete's right about the search button, that was a tough loss.

and now i feel inspired.

who killed xixax
lack of search engine.
hack, polka, and pub are DEAD.
facebook movie reviews.
other message boards (TRAITORS! you know who you are..)
people getting jobs.
people getting girlfriends, wives.
people getting old.

cine

it's a combination of old members growing up and new members not being approved.

this site could be a big deal if it had stronger advertising. it's not like going online and posting your thoughts went out of style..

MacGuffin

Quote from: pete on July 31, 2008, 10:15:11 PMalso the lack of search button - sometimes I wanna discuss shit or wanna add to something I've read here long ago but can't find the last discussion on the said subject.

Make a new thread. If it's related to something, I'll merge it. Otherwise, it'll be fine to start a new discussion.

Quote from: matt35mm on August 01, 2008, 01:13:54 AMI just don't talk about them here because this place is dead.

Talk about 'em here. I post my reviews even if it's a capsule size one in hopes that others will weigh in (21 being the most recent example).

Quote from: Cinephile on August 01, 2008, 05:24:59 AMnew members not being approved..

That's not true. I've approved everyone. They just don't post.

Losing the Search does suck donkey balls, and if there's a way to get it back (swapping the chat for it; moving servers, etc.) we'd like to know. But in the mean time, feel free to start new topics. The days of being afraid of being redirected are loooong gone. If it's connected to another thread, everyone knows I have a photographic memory to weed through the pages and find it.

Xixax is only active as long as it's members are. So, let us be the first place you come to (again) to share your thoughts on any subject. We pride ourselves on being a close knit family atmosphere message board where friendships have formed outside of the board; we are free from flame wars and arguments. We can and will remain so. So never second guess about sharing yourselves.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks