Best Cover

Started by kotte, November 03, 2003, 03:56:26 PM

mogwai

Quote from: SlorgHow's about
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (prince)
that's really not a cover because skinhead o'corpse recorded it before prince did. there's only a live recording of prince version. how do i know this about prince?

Sleuth

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: SlorgHow's about
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (prince)
that's really not a cover because skinhead o'corpse recorded it before prince did. there's only a live recording of prince version. how do i know this about prince?

Okay then, well how about Mr. Bungle's version
I like to hug dogs

mogwai

Quote from: SlorgOkay then, well how about Mr. Bungle's version
i'm cool with that. i'd love to hear that version.

Sigur Rós

Fantomas - Omen theme :twisted:

Sleuth

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: SlorgOkay then, well how about Mr. Bungle's version
i'm cool with that. i'd love to hear that version.

They only played it live a long time ago, the mp3 I have says 1990.  I wasn't really sure about it actually, but I checked www.bunglefever.com and they list it as one of the many covers they've done, so...
I like to hug dogs

Film Student

Quote from: Slorg

Fantomas- Omen theme

Holy shit, two Mike Patton fans on the same board?  that man rules the world as far as I'm concerned... saw him with Tomahawk open for Tool... one of the creepiest, greatest experiences of my life...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Sleuth

Quote from: Film Student
Quote from: Slorg

Fantomas- Omen theme

Holy shit, two Mike Patton fans on the same board?  that man rules the world as far as I'm concerned... saw him with Tomahawk open for Tool... one of the creepiest, greatest experiences of my life...

Phil Marlowe is a much bigger fan than I am.  If you like Patton look into Radiation 4, they remind me of something he would do
I like to hug dogs

Sigur Rós

I saw Tomahawk last year. It was the first time I saw Mike Patton in action. He was both fucking mad and very cool and relaxed.

blueminded

what about PEARL JAM!!!

i think pearl jam is one of the bands that have made more covers...and i think theyre great! sometimes the song sounds much better!...and hearing those covers alive is just...just.... :shock:

i saw them on july 17 and 19 here in Mexico City.
the last concert (that was also the last one of the whole tour) was just amazing. They played some covers:LAST KISS, YOUVE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY,KEEP ON  ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD, I BELIVE IN MIRACLES, HUNGER STRIKE (i dont know if i can call this last one a cover....but it was awasome)and some of them with the help of sleater kinney...
they also play with a "mariachi" LAS MAÑANITAS (a birthday song) because of stone gossard's birthday; they wore "el santo" masks....it was incredible. one of my favourite concerts.

http://www.pjvault.com/coversA_H.html

another great cover is "heroin", cover of The Doors by The Velvet Underground.
and Patton!!!...well...i dont have anything more to say about him, youve said it all. :wink:

phil marlowe

even though i love mike patton to death, it kinda sucks that he takes so much credit all the time. as far as i know then fanthomas is the only project of his that is fully his own, while in bungle and fnm he had no bigger creative control than any of the other members, everything in tomahawk is written only by the guitarist, and i think that most people see that as mikes group.

every bungle fan should give secret chiefs 3 a listen, which is basically mr bungly without patton and the saxophonist. they're really really great.

how could anyone not mention  the Pet Shop Boys' Where the Streets Have No Name (I can't take my eyes off you)  ?????

EDIT:
Quote from: bluemindedanother great cover is "heroin", cover of The Doors by The Velvet Underground.

speaking of covers and Velvet Underground and the Doors,there's Nico's version of The End .[/b]
context, context, context.

xerxes

radiohead's cover of rhinestone cowboy is great

Pubrick

cake - i will survive

i totally won.
under the paving stones.

slice

Quote from: Pcake - i will survive

i totally won.

:yabbse-thumbup:

polkablues

Jimi's version of "Watchtower" is the obvious choice, but then there's also Jeff Buckley's cover of the Smith's "Boy With The Thorn In His Side", Mayfield Four's cover of Marvin Gaye's "Inner City Blues" (BEYOND good... absolutely amazing), and A Perfect Circle's version of "The Nurse Who Loved Me" might be the best song I've heard in the last two years.  Of course, most reviews I've read of the album didn't even know the song was a cover.   :?
My house, my rules, my coffee