I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

picolas

you mean much more awesomer.

jtm

Quote from: RegularKarateAmerican Psycho is crap.
It's mildly humorous at best (yes, the Huey Lewis stuff was funny).

....my sentiments exactly!  i think if i understood wtf really happened in the end, i might like it a little more.  and yes, 25th hour is awesome!  worth the price just for the f-you montage alone!  i'm amped now to check out more spike lee films.  i don't believe i've seen any.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
I haven't seen 25th hour  :shock:

The Rules of Attraction is horrendous and boring.

Neither have I, and I agree completely. I hate Rules of Attraction. American Psycho, I appreciate individual parts of it more than the whole itself. Each scene has good merits, but put em together and it kinda fails. I still think its a great satire, the business card scene is great, Walking on Sunshine, "Don't just stare at it, eat it"...all really great. I think it took me a few viewings to grow and like it more. And I just ignore the ending, I never liked it.
WWPTAD?

ElPandaRoyal

I think American Psycho is a very good movie and I'm yet to realize why the fuck didn't I see The Rules Of Atraction in the theaters. 25th Hour Is very near-perfect to me.
Si

godardian

American Psycho was one of my favorite films of '99.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardianAmerican Psycho was one of my favorite films of '99.

...me also.....

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardianThe Ring

..i thought that you were above this kind of stuff...... :wink:

godardian

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

Oh, what ever would have given you that idea? :)

It's all about Watts, these days... anyway, it's not a bad movie. Not astoundingly great, but definitely has its worthy points.

Gamblour.

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: NEON MERCURY

Oh, what ever would have given you that idea? :)

It's all about Watts, these days... anyway, it's not a bad movie. Not astoundingly great, but definitely has its worthy points.

It's a great horror movie, a nice stylized fun movie. And it's damn entertaining.
WWPTAD?

jtm

Quote from: Gamblor du Jour

American Psycho, I appreciate individual parts of it more than the whole itself. Each scene has good merits, but put em together and it kinda fails. I still think its a great satire

i think i could say the same thing about rules of attraction.  i thought there were some great parts, like the suicide and the trip to europe and so on. but what should have been a simple story of a threeway love triangle turned into a jumbled mess.  could've done without the trip to the hospital where the guy thinks hes od-ing, and the second trip to the drug dealers house.  out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?  most people i talk to think its trying to be too flashy but i don't agree. flashys good in my book.

©brad

the book is soooo much better. i'm curious to see the film again, cuz i've only seen it once and it was a while ago.

a question:

in the book, sean and paul actually do have sex a repeated number of times. but in the movie, if i remember correctly, paul has a daydream about bringing sean to his room and they kiss, and that's it. i don't get why they didn't include that subplot in the film.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: ©bradthe book is soooo much better. i'm curious to see the film again, cuz i've only seen it once and it was a while ago.

a question:

in the book, sean and paul actually do have sex a repeated number of times. but in the movie, if i remember correctly, paul has a daydream about bringing sean to his room and they kiss, and that's it. i don't get why they didn't include that subplot in the film.

It's ambiguous whose character in the book is telling the truth or whose character is imagining it all.  

The only way I could think of doing this on-screen would be how they told the story in "Rashomon," but that really would be out of place in the movie.  The scene where Paul masturbates is more of a homage to the novel's ambiguousness (if that's a word).

bonanzataz

it's ambiguity. and rules of attraction sucked anyhow.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls