Ingmar Bergman

Started by filmcritic, June 23, 2003, 12:11:24 AM

NEON MERCURY

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^thanks..Godardian..i'll check it out...
i liked the film i just wish i knew/understood it more and this should help....

Pubrick

haha there's nothing above u.
under the paving stones.

cine

©brad

Quote from: Cinephilestory of my life.

hahah. that was actually funny.

godardian

Quote from: Cinephilehttp://www.sun-times.com/ebert/greatmovies/persona.html

That might to clear a few things up too, Neon.

Thanks for the book plug, godardian. I'm going to order that.

There's a really good Godard essay in it, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Seraphim

Just rented DVD-copies of Sasom i en spegel (Through a Glass, Darkly) and Tystnaden (The Silence).

First encounter with Bergman; have been "saving" him for later (and first seen almost all other great directors, except for Kurosawa).
I'm sure I'll like his work.

Also the best Bergman's I'll save for a later time, but since I expect much from all his works, I'll probably easily can step in with some "lesser" works (which will probably still be great).
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos

Ghostboy

I just watched 'Scenes From A Marriage' this evening, and suddenly Bergman's back at the top of my list of favorite filmmakers (I haven't watched anything by him in about a year). It's so simple and probes so deeply into the issues that I constantly find surfacing in my own work (i.e. love and commitment); it's sort of the opposite of Cries And Whispers -- painful at times, but ultimately optimistic and comforting (with interjections of soft blue, rather than red). It reminded me quite a bti of Eyes Wide Shut, especially the end, when Liv Ullman wakes up from her nightmare. A beautiful look at the complexities of marriage.

If I can think of one reason to get a job soon, it's so I can buy that box set and finally see Persona.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: GhostboyIf I can think of one reason to get a job soon, it's so I can buy that box set and finally see Persona.
A-men to that! I love my income tax check =).
I'm glad you enjoyed it, it makes me want it even more. Isn't Scenes released on March 9th?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

The Perineum Falcon

Is Scenes a good blind buy if all I've seen of Bergman is Cries & Whispers? I've heard good and bad things about Scenes and was wondering if maybe I should get my feet wet alittle more before taking the plunge with Scenes. I'm jonesin' for more Bergman and have been waiting for Scenes ever since I heard it's announcement. However, I don't want to...underappreciate it, if you will.
Does any of that make any sense??
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ghostboy

If you started out with Cries And Whispers, then Scenes From A Marriage won't be a problem for you. Get it.

Did anyone else know that he did a sequel to Scenes From a Marriage last year called Saraband? I guess it was for TV, like the original, but apparently its hitting theaters as well at some point. I can't wait to see it.

classical gas

I do remember hearing about that like two years ago.  It was then credited as "Scenes from a Marriage II".  Where did you hear about it coming to theaters?  It'd be nice to see a Bergman film on the big screen.

Ghostboy

It was a review from a festival somewhere...I figured that if it's playing at a festival, it might get theatrical distribution as well.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: GhostboyIf you started out with Cries And Whispers, then Scenes From A Marriage won't be a problem for you. Get it.
I feel almost obligated to thank you for saying that. I'm afraid that if you hadn't I might not have bought it.

But, I did buy it today and have just finished the first episode (I figured it'd be better to go with the series first, then the movie later). If I say "blown away" I'm afraid that'll give the wrong impression. That would seem over the top, especially for something so....quiet?
It was great, though. It was like watching a train-wreck with Johan and Marrianne's friends. And like a train-wreck I couldn't help but be fascinated at what I was witnessing. Bergman's composed something that feels so real, little moments of real, that I already connect with the characters and I've only been with them for an hour.
I already saw moments of tension, distress, and unease between the two. I can only imagine where these moments will take me and in a way I already feel sorry that maybe their marriage isn't all it's "painted" to be.
I don't know, I'm afraid I'll go into a nonsensical rant if I continue, if I hadn't started already.

But again, GB, thank you.

Ghostboy

I'm jealous...I haven't found enough cash to buy it yet. But if I were you, I'd watch the movie first (I say this without having seen the series), so that once you've become involved with the characters and grown to love and care about them, you can go back and watch the series and gain a better understanding of them. A common comment about cherished films is that one wishes one could spend more time with the characters...this seems like an ideal circumstance in which to make that a reality.

The Perineum Falcon

Good point, I'll certainly consider it.

And yes, $50 is an insane amount of money to spend on one item, but it might be well deserved.