Ingmar Bergman

Started by filmcritic, June 23, 2003, 12:11:24 AM

cine

I had seen Through A Glass Darkly and the Silence on TV before.. I really want the DVDs but I have a good chunk of films on my priority list before that box set. You surely won't be disappointed by those films though... I haven't seen a bad Bergman film, and I doubt I ever will.

(kelvin)

Yesterday, I have watched Cries and Whispers. I found it breathtaking, cruel,...a mixture of sorrow and beauty that I have never seen before.
After seeing Wild Strawberries and this film, I am somehow in a Bergman hype. I absolutely must see Persona.

cine

Yes, you must. Purchase the VHS for now or something and then buy the DVD in February. But it's a must see Bergman - like just about all of his films.

(kelvin)

I think Persona already exists in a UK DVD version. I'll see to purchase this one.

Sanjuro

i agree its a must see bergman, but the VHS is really a terrible copy.  the subtitles are so bad, you cant even read them on some scenes...
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

SHAFTR

I saw a 35 mm print of it last year.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

classical gas

i've yet to see a bad bergman film.  i've seen, maybe seven or eight.  all great.  i'm getting 'virgin spring', i think it's this one, from netflix.  anyone seen it?  i saw something on imdb.com about a sequel to 'scenes from a marriage' a while ago.  anyone know anything about this?  i'm not sure what else they could add to this wonderful film, but how could i criticize the master of cinema?

Ghostboy

The Virgin Spring is fantastic. It was actually the first Bergman film I ever saw, so it made quite an impression on me.

abuck1220

the only bergman i haven't liked is cries and whispers. if you like crying and/or whispering, then maybe you'll like it because there is lots of both. visually, however, it is pretty impressive.

i liked persona, virgin spring, seventh seal and wild strawberries.

Ghostboy

I like Cries And Whispers best (haven't seen Persona yet, though). It affected me the most of any of his films, in a rather painful way. It's the most horrific non-horror movie I can think of.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyI like Cries And Whispers best (haven't seen Persona yet, though). It affected me the most of any of his films, in a rather painful way. It's the most horrific non-horror movie I can think of.

I predict you'll like Persona even better. It's my favorite of his and probably his most important contribution to cinema.

I love Cries and Whispers, too, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Alethia

Quote from: GhostboyThe Virgin Spring is fantastic.

only bergman ive seen so far, i really loved it as well.

"if she said one more thing about bergman i woulda knocked her other contact lens out!".....hehe

SHAFTR

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: GhostboyI like Cries And Whispers best (haven't seen Persona yet, though). It affected me the most of any of his films, in a rather painful way. It's the most horrific non-horror movie I can think of.

I predict you'll like Persona even better. It's my favorite of his and probably his most important contribution to cinema.

I love Cries and Whispers, too, though.

I think Wild Strawberries is more important b/c it was one of the first popular art films.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

classical gas

the man has such a tremendous body of work with so many classics, that i can hardly pick a favorite.  it's usually just the one i'm watching at the time.  they all have a way of stirring emotions within you.  and they're always fun to pick apart.  
if i had to pick a favorite, it would be 'fanny and alexander'.  that was so amazing.  i almost don't want to watch it again, for fear that it would ruin my previous experience with it.  
also, two other great titles of his that may or may not have been mentioned are 'scenes from a marriage' and 'autumn sonata'.  it's great to have ingrid and ingmar bergman (no relation, of course) working together.

Ghostboy

I haven't seen Scenes From A Marriage yet -- I almost rented it about a year ago, but was afraid that it would too heavily influence a screenplay I was working on at the time. So I rented Autumn Sonata instead. Which ended up influencing that screenplay too (I've since put it away to return to in the future).