Ingmar Bergman

Started by filmcritic, June 23, 2003, 12:11:24 AM

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: rustinglassGoon, watch the Virgin Spring, it's really beautiful/violent, very interesting. My favourite Bergman picture

Thanks for the tip.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SHAFTR

I just watched Wild Strawberries and it was very good.

So far I've seen
Wild Strawberries 5/5
Persona 5/5
Seventh Seal 4/5
Cries and Whispers 5/5
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

A Matter Of Chance

Damn, I really lover Bergman's work. My favprite Bergman is "Wild Strawberries," with "Cries Amd Whispers" a close second. Even though I do think that "The Seventh Seal" is so good. I love the idea of someone playing chess with death.

Ravi

I've seen Seventh Seal, Fanny and Alexander, and Wild Strawberries.  I loved the first two, but I thought WS was a little too ponderous when I watched it.

filmcritic

Did anybody see "Faithless", written by Ingmar Bergman? It came out only 3 years ago.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

luctruff

I've been wanting to see "Faithless" since it came out....it was directed by Liv Ullman...right??
I'd have to say "Fanny and Alexander" is his best film, only because I feel he said everything he's been trying to say over his whole career with this film....It's his "Brother's Karamazov"....It showed how he became the person he is....if i remember the film correctly, haven't seen it in a while....but it's a nice summation (i think i might have dreamed that word up, maybe it's real) of the man himself....just as "Ham on rye" was for the great bukowski....i'm just name dropping now....goodbye
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

meatwad

wild strawberries is amazing. It sent me for a loop. I was so fucking moved by this film, it was hard to imagine. I had seen The Seventh Seal before, and it was pretty good, but just never got around to seeing anything else of his till now. If Cries and Whispers is half as good as Wild Strawberries then i will be happy

Seraphim

In about a few months...

I'll discover the majestic world of Bergman.

Can't wait to see his major films (and yet I have to)...!!!

Spirituality, Death, loss of connection....yes, it'll work for me!

Persons who LOVE Bergman (or Tarkovsky) should also check out French director Robert Bresson, I strongly believe (haven't seen his films, but I will i two weeks from now)...same themes as Bergman, quite same visual style...bleak, extremely minimalistic...spiritual, much concentration required.

Yeah, I'll like Bresson and Bergman. Can't miss! :)
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SeraphimIn about a few months...

I'll discover the majestic world of Bergman.

Can't wait to see his major films (and yet I have to)...!!!

Spirituality, Death, loss of connection....yes, it'll work for me!

What's gonna happen in a few months?  :?

As for Bergman... I haven't seen them all, but I really like what I've seen. Wild Strawberries is great, and so are, in my opinion, Autumn Sonata (great performances) and Cries & Wispers. The Virgin Spring may also my favourite Bergman... I really loved the story and Max von Sydow there. I need to see Face to Face, Fanny and Alexander and The Seventh Seal - I still have a lot of Bergamn to see...

One film I really didn't care about was "In The Presence Of A Clown", a made for TV movie that didn't really work.
Si

cine

Definitely give The Seventh Seal a look first.. its one of his greatest. And obviously Woody Allen has been inspired by that film his whole career.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: CinephileDefinitely give The Seventh Seal a look first.. its one of his greatest

I will, as soon as I can.
Si

Seraphim

I will not.  :wink:

I never start with a major director's best work.
Always "working towards" them, so to speak.

But you can only do that when you have full confidence about someone's films/ careers AND when you have the necessary patience.

I know Bergman hasn't made just one great film, so why start with his best? Save it up, I'd say...
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos

SHAFTR

I don't think Seventh Seal is his best work.  Of the films of his I've seen (look above), It was the one I enjoyed the least.

cine

Quote from: SHAFTRI don't think Seventh Seal is his best work.  Of the films of his I've seen (look above), It was the one I enjoyed the least.
Well out of that list of the ones you've seen, its understood. Persona is my fav out of those. And I'm still waiting for MGM or whoever to release it on DVD.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: SHAFTRI don't think Seventh Seal is his best work.  Of the films of his I've seen (look above), It was the one I enjoyed the least.
Well out of that list of the ones you've seen, its understood. Persona is my fav out of those. And I'm still waiting for MGM or whoever to release it on DVD.

Do you know anything about that Criterion Box Set?  I haven't seen either of the films in that trilogy.