Ingmar Bergman

Started by filmcritic, June 23, 2003, 12:11:24 AM

filmcritic

Ingmar Bergman is a wonderful director. I just saw his film "Cries and Whispers" and several other of his films. Is anyone else aware of this gem of a director out there?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Cecil

SHAFTR

I've seen Persona, Cries and Whispers and Seventh Seal...next up is Wild Strawberries.

I really liked Persona and Cries and Whispers (fade to red, I love it); Seventh Seal had scenes I really enjoyed.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

One of my faves. Cries And Whispers is probably my favorite, although I don't know when I'll have the guts to make it through it again.

SHAFTR

Quote from: GhostboyOne of my faves. Cries And Whispers is probably my favorite, although I don't know when I'll have the guts to make it through it again.

I really liked it but I don't know if I could watch it again.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Bud_Clay

I love all the films I've seen by Bergman, with the exception of "The Magic Flute".....While it was still an interesting film and idea to make a film entirely shot on set of a Mozart play I wish there was more to the film.  Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, and Cries & Whispers are simply incredible.  

I can't wait for the Bergman Trilogy releases by Criterion in August.

filmcritic

Ingmar Bergman is 85 today! Happy Birthday to Bergman!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

chainsmoking insomniac

I didn't like Cries and Whispers.  The only other film of his I've seen was the Seventh Seal, and I loved it.  

I'm going to watch Persona next.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

filmcritic

Wow! You didn't like "Cries and Whispers"??? It was such a masterpiece! :shock:
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

chainsmoking insomniac

I know.  I fully accept my stigma for this too....I think the pacing more than anything else bothered me.  And I don't have a short attention span either.... :oops:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

filmcritic

Be patient with it. The pace is what is so great about the film. It's very queit, creepy, disturbing and passionate. I encourage you to go back and see it again.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

rustinglass

Goon, watch the Virgin Spring, it's really beautiful/violent, very interesting. My favourite Bergman picture
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ono

Persona is brilliant, one of the best movies ever.  Unfortunately, I watched a cruddy VHS; I'm sure I would've liked it even more had I seen a decent transfer with legible subtitles.

I saw Nattvardsgästerna (Winter Light) a while back, and it wasn't that good.  Boring and depressing par-for-the-course examination of God's presence in life.  A better film though is Det Sjunde Inseglet (The Seventh Seal).  The knight plays chess with Death.  Love it.  And "Death bids them dance."  One of the best endings ever.  Still, the transfer on this sufferend as well, as did the subs.  So I'll need to see it again, too.  I also need to see Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries) because I've heard it was good.  And Cries and Whispers.  All his films are very slow, though, so you have to be in the mood.

filmcritic

The interesting things about Ingmar Bergman is that he always pushed the limit with his material. Several of his films were threatened or got the X rating.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

rustinglass

You should watch the virgin spring too, film critic.
(talk about pushing things to the limit)
it's an adaptation of a 14th century poem
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica