Wrong Turn

Started by Keener, June 02, 2003, 12:26:12 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

SPOILERS

This movie was horrid.  No background on the inbred brothers except for the brief newspaper clippings in the beginning credits.  They're killers.  Big whoop.  

Why do they kill?  Any info on the family at all? None.  This movie was utter trash.  Deliverance meets Jeepers Creepers.  The elements of those two movies blended, anyway.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

yeah i dont know where i heard this movie was good, but it wasnt here.  it sucked hard as i found out for myself tonite.  1.) i wasnt aware that a horror movie could exist so naively in a post-Scream world.  it fell into (and almost seemed to revel in) EVERY cliche possible without subverting any expectations or taking you anywhere unexpected.  just right on down the line, connecting the dots.  2. the direction was really distracting/bad.  i thought every other shot being the creepy 'watcher POV' was really really overused throughout the whole movie.  and most of all 3. as macg said, it just wasnt scary, no tension no scary.  also, so many plot holes, like if these cannibals are so notorious in all the newspapres why hasnt anyone like a helicopter or something noticed the pileup of cars in their open field?

and i think if the goddamn Friday the 13th movies and the whole slasher genre contributed one thing that was the most harmful to the genre, it was making the characters so unlikable.  inside of 3 minutes we learn that the two characters left alone to die get stoned, blow each other and lie to each other.  these are not (i guess depending on what sort of person you are) people you root for.  the genre created in making these characters so bad so that you want to see them get their comeupence so you actually root for the killer has drained any suspense and any REAL horror out of these films.  i love the genre, but i love it too much to settle for crap like this. when i remember whoever told me it was pretty good, i'm going to cut them up and eat them.  (not because i want to, but out of spite).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.