Seabiscuit (sphinx approves)

Started by sphinx, May 24, 2003, 01:00:32 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Of course all movies manipulate. The difference is that I felt manipulated. Coldly manipulated. The more conventional/cliché/formulaic it is, the more on the surface it is, the less subconscious it is, the more you feel the manipulation. If it's a device that has been used forever in the same way, you can see it, you can recognize it, and you resent it.

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanOf course all movies manipulate. The difference is that I felt manipulated. Coldly manipulated. The more conventional/cliché/formulaic it is, the more on the surface it is, the less subconscious it is, the more you feel the manipulation. If it's a device that has been used forever in the same way, you can see it, you can recognize it, and you resent it.

I felt the same way about this movie- very Hallmark Presentation. Maybe I'll enjoy it more in its proper context when they re-broadcast it on the PAX network, but it was so not worth my movie ticket price.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ono

Anyone want to buy a copy of Seabiscuit (Full Screen) with the novel included?  Never opened.  I posted it on e-bay but, I'd be willing to let it go to someone here for a lower price.  PM me if interested, shoot me an offer, and we'll talk.

godardian

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnyone want to buy a copy of Seabiscuit (Full Screen) with the novel included?  Never opened.  I posted it on e-bay but, I'd be willing to let it go to someone here for a lower price.  PM me if interested, shoot me an offer, and we'll talk.

A rejected Christmas present?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ono

Haha, yes.  Two out of three from my brother ain't bad, though (he got me Rushmore and Finding Nemo, too).  It's not that I don't like Seabiscuit or anything.  Haven't even seen it.  I'd just rather see it wide screen (as I assume everyone else here would, too), and there's a sweet two-disc special edition out I'd rather have anyway.

Henry Hill

SPOILER ALERT!
Quote from: themodernage02yeah but arent all movies manipulative on some level?  like, any movie that has a twist ending?  or any movie where a likable character dies?

Like when Steven Seagal dies early on in EXECUTIVE DECISION. Oh wait...you said likeable.  :oops:

SHAFTR

so I FINALLY saw this film.  When it was in the theatres, I could get no one to go with me.  I don't know why I just don't learn to go to a theatre by myself.

Anyways, this movie would work perfectly in 1940s Hollywood.  It's a perfect example of Holywood Cause & Effect.  And just like the Hollywood movies of the 40s work today, this movie works today.  It was really, really good.  A pretty much flawless film.  I'm not saying it was the best or my favorite movie of the year but I can find nothing wrong with it (ie Casablanca or Wizard of Oz).  Extremely enjoyable, the film drew me in and kept me in for the entire running time.  Just an exellent, top notch film.

I'm still hoping Lost in Translation wins Best Picture, but if it doesn't...Go Seabiscuit!
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: SHAFTRI'm still hoping Lost in Translation wins Best Picture, but if it doesn't...Go Seabiscuit!

It's sad because both movies are long shots to winning. Lost in Translation has a better chance than Seabiscuit, though. Seabiscuit was just the filler for Best Picture.

modage

lost in translation doesnt have a snowflakes chance in HELL at best picture.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.