Spike Jonze (and now Megan Ellison)

Started by Teddy, May 23, 2003, 11:20:41 PM

jtm

just broke the tie, gotta go with adaptation.  as good as they both are once you get over the quirky idea that is BJM,  it doesnt hold up to repeat viewings...  plus that girl banging Donald was HOT HOT HOT.

ShanghaiOrange

Spike Jonze is better at making music videos than movies. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Spike

For me "BJM" and "Adaptation" are nearly equal but "BJM" just had a bigger impact on me, it was the weirdest experience I've ever had, so I voted for "BJM".

BTW, Spike directed a cool documentary called "Amarillo By Morning". Really great! And his music videos for "Feel The Pain" (Dinosaur Jr.) and "If I Only Had A Brain" (MC 900ft Jesus) are underrated!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

meatwad

has anybody seen the new video for phantom planet he did?

El Duderino

i chose his short "how they get there" on "The work of director Spike Jonze" DVD, fucking genious
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Stefen

Quote from: El Duderinoi chose his short "how they get there" on "The work of director Spike Jonze" DVD, fucking genious

I didn't dig that short too much, it was i guess "cute" but not that big a deal. Hes a genius and has done so much great stuff. I felt how they get there was lacking. It looked nice though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

El Duderino

Quote from: Stefen
Quote from: El Duderinoi chose his short "how they get there" on "The work of director Spike Jonze" DVD, fucking genious

I didn't dig that short too much, it was i guess "cute" but not that big a deal. Hes a genius and has done so much great stuff. I felt how they get there was lacking. It looked nice though.

i guess i kind of agree, though i was laughing really hard when i saw it last night. i thought his other short sucked, but his documentary about him and his dance group at the VMA's was great

Stefen

yeah that dance group thing is great. I liked the amarillo by morning doc also cause it was so odd. Spike Jonze hanging with these cowboys. What a pairing, I think thats what makes Spike such a unique indivudual, is he is so warm that people feel comfortable around him.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

El Duderino

i love him in the "praise you" and "rockafella skank" videos, fucking great

Spike

Quote from: El Duderinoi love him in the "praise you" and "rockafella skank" videos, fucking great

That's not Spike! That's Richard Koufey! Or is there a difference?  :-D
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

(kelvin)

btw, his real name is  Adam Spiegel, from what I have heard.

Stefen

Quote from: kelvinbtw, his real name is  Adam Spiegel, from what I have heard.

isn't the main character from that show cowboy bebop named Spike Spiegel?

LostEraser

lol! Adam Spiegal, Spike Jonze, and Richard Koufay are all the same person.

So does anyone really know what this guy's next project is? Some say it is going to be Where The Wild Things Are others say it is going to be a horror movie written by Charlie Kaufman. I really hope it is Where The Wild Things Are. Especially since he said he wanted to use Puppets instead of CGI. I think that's a brilliant idea. Plus, it would be great to see what he does with something other than a Kaufman script.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

El Duderino

LostEraser

Hey man. Thanks. This board kicks ass!

So, Where The Wild Things Are is official then? cool! I really think this project is perfectly suited for Spike. Anyone familiar with the playful, child like vibe he has in his music videos should agree.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra