my new film/music video "MAPS"

Started by md, July 11, 2004, 10:07:04 PM

md

http://studentfilms.com/film/get.do?id=702

shot in nyc for school in the spring its a story about a man looking for love.

Mark Manne - The John
Katie Donahue - The Call Girl

set the Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Maps"

enjoy!
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

picolas

started very well, then it got awkward after it became a montage. eg. sitting on bench for no reason, getting up seconds later, the last line.. i'd call it really promising based on the beginning, but it's pretty much not a good idea to start a movie as a movie and then deliver the whole rest of the story, including an entire relationship, as a music video.

Pubrick

what pic said.

the best part was the sarah chalke lookalike, but she ruined it all when she spoke and i cringed. way too long for whatever story was being told, it felt more like a commercial or music video than a short film, many shots went nowhere. the stolen song didn't help much.

keep at it, big fella.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

Yeah it started off fine, and some of the shots towards the end looked pretty nice, but ultimately the movie doesn't succeed in making me feel anything.  I get the feeling that I'm supposed to feel some chemistry between them, but I didn't.

But then again it's not very long and is still worth the running time to watch it.

RegularKarate

yeah... same stuff here... you didn't show why the hooker fell for sad man... you just established general upsettedness with nice slow pacing then jumped into a music-video montage of boring date scenes that didn't really show anything at all then ended with a dud bullet.

I would say cut off the end and the begining and just leave it as a music video, but it doesn't work very well as just a music video.  It could be really good if you put more into it, like a story and let us get to know the characters better.  There are some pretty good shots in it.

El Duderino

i thought it was good. when "MAPS" came up, the background reminded me of the Collateral trailer/Focus Features thing. overall, it was good. it's a great song. good job.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

md

thanks for the feedback.....it is appreciated.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche