Wholphin

Started by Ultrahip, November 09, 2005, 02:18:14 AM

Ultrahip

Was not sure quite where to place this, as it is a DVD from literary quarterly McSweeny's (founded by Dave Eggers) but it is a project that involves talent typically respected around these parts, so take a gander.

From McSweeny's:
Wholphin is our new quarterly DVD magazine, featuring short films, documentaries, animation, and instructional videos that have not, for whatever reason, found wide release. The debut issue includes films by Spike Jonze, David O. Russell, Miranda July, and Miguel Arteta, as well as appearances by David Byrne, Patton Oswalt, and many others.

Trailer: http://store.mcsweeneys.net/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.detail/object_id/2AF2AE97-8E22-4F9C-AC58-FA31F8D5347F/WholphinDVDSubscription.cfm

72teeth

QuoteOur debut issue includes Spike Jonze's revealing portrait of Al Gore
...okay, im sold...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

72teeth

did anyone else subscribe to this...

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Bethie

Looks like you're swimming with the Wholpins alone, 72teeth.
who likes movies anyway

72teeth

give it time...more will follow...

Yowza Yowza Yowza

hedwig

72teeth

not sure, i just ordered it last night...ill be sure to give a review when i see it though...

Yowza Yowza Yowza

picolas

i just subscribed because this stuff is serious compacted awesome. fills the hole left by no director's label (i've been really concerned it's dead forever) and then some. and i'm saying/doing this based on 40 minutes of one at a friend's house + perusing the official site.

Ghostboy

One of my films is on their official site. I feel Eggers approved.

It really is an awesome magazine. This and the Journal Of Short Film are some of the the best things the short film format have going for it right now.

w/o horse

Soderbergh had one in there recently, didn't he?  His Alphaville inspired short?  When I saw it I thought I either needed to watch the short again or watch Alphaville again.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Mesh

I now own Wholpins #1, 2, and 3.  Watched and enjoyed the first one.  Subscribed a few weeks back and got the other two straight from a McSweeney's table at Chicago's Printer's Row Book Fair.  Haven't got to 'em yet.  Perhaps I'll report here though.