Peter Jackson's KING KONG

Started by Spike, December 14, 2003, 01:15:38 PM

Stefen

this movie is already starting to become overrated.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

Quote from: The Disco KidDo we really need yet another King Kong movie? I mean, gimme a fcking break.

I'm skeptical too.

El Duderino

i'm actually interested in it, i think it sounds good, though i do think once it comes out, it's not going to be what i expect from Peter Jackson, but what do i know?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

picolas

Chester R Pennywinkle

Terrible, terrible expedition gone horribly wrong.  But we must go on as I say. I am glad this stout Jackson fellow has seen to it to let future generations know of this monstrous travesty.
Rather...

MacGuffin

Peter Jackson Talks King Kong
Source: Entertainment Weekly

The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly includes an interview with "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson talking about his upcoming adaptation of King Kong. Naomi Watts will play the big ape's love object, Ann Darrow. Adrien Brody will play Darrow's boyfriend, former WWII pilot Jack Driscoll, and Jack Black will be blustery adventurer Carl Denham, who imports Kong to Manhattan.

"We are not reinventing it," says Jackson referring to the 1933 original film. "Our story follows the same structure. It starts in New York, goes to Skull Island, and there's dinosaurs on the island. Then it comes back to New York and there's the Empire State Building and the biplanes and the whole thing."

He says that one thing they're trying to do that the original didn't is to make it more "emotionally truthful. I put that ahead of anything else, including technology and the realism of the effects," he adds.

"Everybody's image of 'King Kong' is that it's this amazing beauty-and-the-beast love story. And when you look at the original film, there is as sense that Kong is feeling an attraction toward Ann-probably the first empathy he's felt in his life toward another living creature. But Ann is not giving him a thing. She just looks at him as an object of horror the entire time. She screams at him, she's terrified. Her relationship with Kong doesn't go beyond that. We're having a lot of fun making it more psychologically real."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Andy Serkis is King Kong!
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Andy Serkis, who brought to life Gollum's movements and voice in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, is reuniting with Peter Jackson to become the man behind the monster in Universal Pictures' King Kong.

Like he did for Gollum, Serkis will provide motion capture reference for the character of Kong, who will eventually be realized as a completely computer-generated creature.

Serkis also has been cast as Lumpy the cook, a member of the crew of the Venture, the tramp steamer that sails to Skull Island.

"I expect this time round will be a very different experience for both Andy and myself as we'll actually get to shoot extended drama sequences together," Jackson said. "It will be a little weird seeing Andy out of his Gollum gimp suit -- and I hope we can both make the adjustment!"

Commenting on Kong himself, Jackson said: "While Andy will provide very valuable onset reference, this doesn't mean we will be softening Kong by attempting to humanize him. The power of the story lies in the fact that this is a savage beast from a hostile environment, and we don't intend to compromise that."

Serkis joins Naomi Watts, Jack Black and Adrien Brody in the cast. Jackson and his "Rings" colleagues, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, are writing, with Jackson and Walsh also producing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

oh come on!  andy serkis is like 5'5'' and really flaily, no way can he pull off king kong
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Just Withnail

Quote from: rustinglassscript here

need I say spoilers?

Actually I'm not sure you do, I think that draft has been substantially rewritten.

EDIT: This part is hilarious, though (Spoilers?)

KONG suddenly CHARGES at the WOODEN GATE! He crashes against it,
causing the ENTIRE WALL TO SHUDDER violently ... A NATIVE loses his
balance and topples off! He THUDS INTO THE GROUND at KONG'S FEET ...
KONG quickly scoops him up and BITES HIS HEAD OFF in a PG 13 kinda way!

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

Si

modage

Jack Black Talks King Kong Script
Source: MTV.Com Tuesday, June 29, 2004

MTV reports the following:

"When it was announced that Jack Black would be starring in the new remake of "King Kong," a lot of people wondered: He's not going all serious-actor guy, is he?

"There are some funny things about my character but, yeah, it is a different thing for me," Black revealed backstage at the 2004 MTV Movie Awards. "But I'm not approaching it differently. I'm approaching it with the same balls-to-the-wall attitude."

And there'll be a similar attitude throughout Peter Jackson's "Kong" remake, which Black promised will feature a much fiercer giant gorilla than some of the kinder, gentler versions.

"I just read the script for the first time. It's so rad. And it's top secret. I can't tell you much, but I can tell you this," he teased. "King Kong is going to be scary as hell, dude. He's not gonna be sweet and cuddly. It's not gonna be the cute kind [of movie]. He's a f---ing carnivore, as in, eats flesh!" "

Hanks and Chandler Aboard King Kong
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Thursday, July 1, 2004

Colin Hanks and Early Edition star Kyle Chandler have joined Peter Jackson's King Kong remake, says The Hollywood Reporter. They join Naomi Watts, Jack Black and Adrien Brody in the Universal Pictures remake.

Hanks is on board to play a production assistant to filmmaker Carl Denham (Black) with Chandler in negotiations to play a 1930s B-movie actor opposite Watts' character, Ann Darrow.

Andy Serkis (Gollum in Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" films) is providing the reference for the character of Kong, who will be a completely computer-generated character, as well as playing the role of Lumpy the cook.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Bell, Parke join 'Kong' journey
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Jamie Bell and Evan Parke are booking a trip to Skull Island. The actors have joined the cast of Peter Jackson's "King Kong" for Universal Pictures alongside Naomi Watts, Jack Black and Adrien Brody. Bell will play a young cameraman who accompanies Black's character, a filmmaker, on a quest to find the giant gorilla, while Parke portrays the first mate on the Venture, the tramp steamer that sails to Skull Island. He ends up heading the rescue team sent into the jungle to save Watts' character.

Skeleton FilmWorks