Nirvana

Started by Spike, September 08, 2003, 06:27:10 AM

MacGuffin

Political life is no Nirvana for bassist
From Associated Press

Former grunge rocker Krist Novoselic has changed his mind and decided not to run for lieutenant governor of the state of Washington, but he wants to remain active in politics.

Novoselic said he will keep working with Music for America to boost voter participation among young people and continue his efforts for election reform, but he concluded that "the whole thing about running a campaign and being a public servant isn't the way to do it."

Novoselic was the bass player and a founder of Nirvana, which broke up after the suicide of co-founder Kurt Cobain in 1994. Novoselic had some later musical projects but is now retired from performing and lives in southwest Washington state.

"I found out firsthand that it's really considered bad form to run against an incumbent of your own party," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffinPolitical life is no Nirvana for bassist
From Associated Press

Former grunge rocker Krist Novoselic has changed his mind and decided not to run for lieutenant governor

hmmmmm.......NEVERMIND...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

..........do you guys get it?

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SloyjWhat, dude?

he at first said he wanted to run for govenor.but he changed his mind.so in a way he said "nevermind".......which is funny b/c nevermind was the name of their(nirvana) second album......which propelled them into the statosphere..................................wee!!!

::yabbse-wink::

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SloyjHuh???????!!?!?

hahahaaha.........

MacGuffin

NEON should have said, All Apologies....HaHaHa. Get it?...No?...Hello?... We're all fine here, now. Thank you...How are you?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffinNEON should have said, All Apologies....HaHaHa. Get it?...No?...Hello?... We're all fine here, now. Thank you...How are you?

hahahahaah......

.....and while were on the subject of Nirvana  ...they actually kind of suck.......pearl jam..  :yabbse-thumbup:

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: NEON MERCURY.....and while were on the subject of Nirvana  ...they actually kind of suck.......pearl jam..  :yabbse-thumbup:

:yabbse-thumbup:

Pas

MacGuffin

Kurt Cobain Wanted to Quit Nirvana

SEATTLE (United Press International) -- Kurt Cobain wanted to quit Nirvana to join his wife Courtney Love's band, the Seattle grunge rocker said in a previously-unseen interview in Uncut magazine.

Cobain, who committed suicide in April 1994, is quoted as saying in the article: "To tell you the truth, I would rather just quit my band and join Hole," the BBC reported Friday.

Cobain also discussed his desire to move away from the grunge rock scene he helped make famous.

"It might be nice to start playing acoustic guitar and be thought of as a singer and a songwriter, rather than a grunge rocker," he said in the interview, which was originally meant for French TV.

"I could sit down on a chair and play acoustic guitar like Johnny Cash or something, and it won't be a big joke."

Following Cobain's death, Nirvana's surviving members, Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, publicly battled Love over the band's music and royalties.

Grohl went on to form the Foo Fighters; Novoselic has worked on a variety of musical projects

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Nirvana was the only band from this neck of the woods' little hyped-up "grunge" boredom of the nineties that had anything to say. Cobain was dead set on undercutting any macho cock-rock-isms falsely attributed to his band, which is to be respected; they could always be counted on to show up in Oregon to play benefit concerts to defeat anti-gay ballot measures there. Certainly, Cobain would've been chuffed to see gay marriage making headlines. Not least, they knew about melody, something way too many guitar bands forego (maybe melody is too sissy for them...?), and dynamics. In other words, they had a style.  

Mudhoney's "Touch Me I'm Sick" is an okay single, but they're not a great band. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains... they all mean less than nothing to me. Wastes of time.

I loved Hole's last two albums, but they're hardly "grunge"; much more "new wave," I'd say.

Portland has The Dandy Warhols and Sleater-Kinney... but then, Portland has always been way cooler than Seattle.  :wink:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Just Withnail

This:

Quote from: godardianCobain was dead set on undercutting any macho cock-rock-isms falsely attributed to his band

And this:

Quote from: godardianNot least, they knew about melody

Perfectly (you seriously have no idea of how perfectly) sums up my love for Nirvana and Cobain. And that quote about going accustic, it just brakes my heart. Unplugged in New York is my favorite Nirvana record, and I would've died to hear what Cobain might've done in that vein.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardianPearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains... they all mean less than nothing to me. Wastes of time.

....oh dear.......how could you say such evil things about three bands that are WAY more talented musicians then Nirvana.... :roll: .......especially Alice in Chains....damn those guys phucking rock......Dirt is is solid......and they can play stripped down also....jar of flies/unplugged......and layne staley has an incredible voice.....so phucking unique.......sad that the needle did him in.. :( ........and as for Pearl Jam.......those reasons that you mentioned your liking for Nirvana and how they were saying something and the stands that Cobian took (politically and socially).....eddie is the same vien in those tastes.....ALSO......pearl jam went up against CORPORATE CONGLOMORATE TICKETMASTER....and sent them to court b/c of TICKETMASTER's outrageous  service charges that they make fans pay.....but i guess Nirvana had "better" things to do..like make more cheesy high school suicide music.....  :wink: