Short Cuts

Started by bonanzataz, March 11, 2003, 08:33:54 PM

bonanzataz

Just got the criterion laser disc for $10 (hahaha) and this movie is fantastic. Nashville and Gosford Park were my only other Altmans. I loved Nashville but didn't like Gosford, maybe I have to see it again, I don't know - I thought it was overrated. Short Cuts, though, was wonderful. I loved it. It's a lot more in depth with the characters than Nashville and you connect with them more up close rather than the passing glimpse you get in Nashville. The movies are different in how the characters are shown but essentially the same in how they illustrate a portrait of a particular section of American society. I never understood the directorial similarities between PTA and Altman. The writing of the characters in Magnolia and the Altman movies being juggled through the screenplay is very similar, but PTA (esp in Magnolia) seems so big and grand, bringing out all the emotion possible in a scene. It's a lot more intense than an Altman film where I feel like he shoots the characters from a distance and wants you to feel for the characters while not getting yourself overly worked up. Kind of like, "these are things that happen in life every day, there's nothing we can do to change them so why bother dwelling" where PTA is like "the things that happen in life are important and personal. Feel bad for these individual people." Both movies are great, but it's unfair to PTA and Altman to say that they're very similar. I find them extremely different.

If you're so inclined, try and get your hands on a copy, whether it be pan and scan VHS or widescreen LD. It's grrrrreat!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Xixax

Quote from: bonanzatazJust got the criterion laser disc for $10 (hahaha)

WHERE? WHERE? WHERE?!?!?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

bonanzataz

Got lucky on ebay. REALLY lucky. The guy listed poorly and I did a careful search.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

I love this movie. You should check out Raymond Carver's fiction; the movie is based on his short stories. There's a collection available that's a specific tie in to the film, or you can find all those stories and more in larger collections, like Where I'm Calling From. It's beautiful stuff.

Duck Sauce

Short Cuts is for sure my favorite Altman movie, what is on the Laser Disc?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck Saucewhat is on the Laser Disc?

*Documentary: Luck, Trust and Ketchup, featuring behind-the-scenes interviews with every cast member and footage of Altman at work
*A look at the marketing of the film, including an extensive collection of advertising stills, two trailers, and six television spots
*The complete text of the Raymond Carver stories on which the film is based
*Outtakes and deleted scenes
*Audio commentary by critics Pauline Kael and Michael Wilmington
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

I agree on the Short Cuts vs. Magnolia thing, and seeing SC after Magnolia perhaps led to me feeling a bit disappointed, though I love the scenes between Tim Robbins and the dog, especially when he leaves it in the road.

Nashville I've never seen and that is the Altman I would like to watch out of curiosity for the PTA influence as much as anything. But The Player is superb, and better than Short Cuts I think. And often going cheap on DVD.

Satcho9

I love Short Cuts.

I dont get why people get on Julianne Moores case for gratuitous nudity in Boogie Nights. Have they seen Short Cuts? Well personally I dont find anything wrong with it, I quite enjoy it.
:lol:

MacGuffin

When I first saw Short Cuts in theaters, the film broke right at that scene between her and Matthew Modine. You've never heard an audience with more anger.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

children with angels

I love Shorts Cuts and Magnolia, and I think that Magnolia is a completely different beast. Both films do deal with interconnecting stories of, largely, depressed people living in LA - but the way in which they're dealt with, and the stories themselves, are very different. PTA has a defiant (and, at times, surreal and unbelievable) romanticism that Altman doesn't have - that's why it makes sense for all the characters in Magnolia to sing the same song - can you imagine that in Short Cuts? The difference in events that bring the story to a close, earthquake/frogs, is a perfect representation of the different ways they view the world. Doubtless Anderson was very inspired by the movie (maybe more by Nashville), but in my opinion what he's done with it bears little resemblance whatsoever to Altman's masterpiece.

Sorry: that started out being about Short Cuts, and ended up belonging in the PTA forum...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Markyboy

Quote from: MacGuffinWhen I first saw Short Cuts in theaters, the film broke right at that scene between her and Matthew Modine. You've never heard an audience with more anger.

'Angry' at the nudity? Really?

As PTA says quite often, I think this movie was just one of those in his DNA, it maybe wasn't neccessarily thought of much while making Magnolia but now we compare them & see that they have some stong correlations. They are like sisters. Especially with both movies' suggestions of listening to our kids, respecting them, taking care of them. That's what struck me as one of the big similarities.

Pretty damn sad when that kid gets hit by the car!
A shiny, gold, tall, inexpensive prick.

NEON MERCURY

..this film is near perfect.
there is nothing one can say to knock it...
pta did a good job also remaking this film and giving it a different title....

...downey is  8)

ono

There's so many places this could go, but I guess this is the most likely thread people would look in.

I came across this link: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=1286705&frm=sh_google

So on December 31st-ish, we should have Short Cuts on DVD?  Amazon.com doesn't even have this listing (sure they have a link for Short Cuts, but they say it's not in production yet), and I haven't heard anything from anywhere else.  Can anyone confirm?

Thecowgoooesmooo

I just finally saw this film, on Bravo. I really liked parts of the film, but I think another director other then Altman could have made the film better, and more to my likeing. I think the scenes had allot of potential emotion that could impact the audience in a much more powerful way.

I didn't like Nashville, because I thought that it was juggling wayyy to many characters for its own good. I felt even more disconnected from the characters then Short Cuts, but I still mildly enjoyed it.

One thing I absolutely hate about Altman though, and its just a personal thing, I hate those fucking slow zoooms! To me, it looks so amateurish...But its just a differing style, but I mean damn, I'd love to see some nice dolly in shots in place of some of those zooms.

chris

-----------------------------------
Insightful and informative, you can always count on P.

Quoted:

"u picked the wrong person to start shit with mang."

---------------------------------
Scary.