Lighting Kits?

Started by Bud_Clay, May 02, 2005, 12:29:31 AM

Bud_Clay

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should get concerning a lighting kit? I'm shooting in an apartment with natural low light on 16mm 200 ASA film. I have already a double halogen worklight set which I should probably use to bounce off a reflector. That is pretty much it though and I need two light sources for which to play with the key light and the background light. I would just get a quartz fresnel focusing kit but those seem to go in the thousands range, and I don't want to rent this equipment. Would this be a good kit to get? (I'm unable to tell if it will range from spot to flood.)  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=48833&is=REG

Is that a good idea or should I look into a simple clip on light?

Ghostboy

Clip lights are great for many things, but, like the halogens, aren't exactly paradigms of controllability. I'd consider renting a few lights. My favorite cheap light kit is the Arri softbank kits. They're in the 1000 dollar range if you want to buy them, but they're pretty cheap to rent.

Bud_Clay

I suppose purchasing a light kit isn't wise unless you have a lot to spend on a quality one. Yeah, I would rent them but considering how many times I would be renting them I think that would eventually equal out to buying them. Perhaps I should get a few clip on lights.

Ghostboy

When I use clip lights (which is often), I like to make fake barn doors out of black-wrap foil. I'd suggest picking up a box of it from a photo/video supply store. It's kinda expensive, but handy to have around.

Bud_Clay

That's a good idea. I was thinking about seeing if there are barn doors for sale which might clip on universally to any light.

killafilm

Does anyone have experience with cheapo Lowel or Britek kits?

And if so how would you compare them to MR or Arri lights? Ideally I'd love to have a couple of teenies and betweenies, but, I don't have a couple grand.  Also, I'm thinking I'll just shoot stuff for mah' reel.  Cause I don't really have any thing in the works, but I'm jonsing to shoot stuff.