My Stand Up

Started by SiliasRuby, September 11, 2009, 04:22:49 AM

SiliasRuby

Hey guys. I know you are going to be brutal about this and I was a bit nervous having the camera focus on me for such a long time since I am more of a writer than a comic but I needed to get this on camera for prosperity and because I needed it to be out there. If it really sucks I'll give it up because this was a shot in he dark and I'm more of a writer like I said but here it is.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

If you are easily offended by religious or political skewering, don't watch
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

cine

i watched the first two minutes and it was you just being bitter and ranting. before i continue with this... do you try to be funny or are you aiming more for preachy for the entire 4 clips?

Pas

My Drunken Rant is more like it, no? I also just watched the first minute because I'm at work so I'll check it later on and comment. It may get funny later on, we'll see!

but you def. look drunk hahaha

and also you look like Tom Yorke (spelling? the radiohead guy)

Stefen

Good stuff, man. Have you ever gone in front of an audience? I'd be too scared :o(
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

shit going in front of people must be scaaaary. Especially in the US, I hear your crowds are cruel.

It still takes guts to post the vids so I'll definitely check them out tonight!!!

pete

open mic nights aren't bad.  people can't possibly be cruel to every single person there, so they've learned to only be cruel when acts are really awful (or when they're really drunk).  It's mostly a bland crowd there to support their friends.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Cinephile on September 11, 2009, 10:18:11 AM
i watched the first two minutes and it was you just being bitter and ranting. before i continue with this... do you try to be funny or are you aiming more for preachy for the entire 4 clips?
I wasn't really aiming for anything. It's just some shit and observations I had written down that I thought was funny. I was told by some people that I should do it because I was just talented enough. Its possible I was going for a little of all three: bitter ranting, funny, and slightly preachy. But only preachy about superficial shit. Again, if I coming off as bitter, good. That's a persona I'd like to try to do when and if I do this live at any open mic's. Like I said, its pretty raw and I am more of a writer not a talker. And no I wasn't really drunk. When you guys see the whole 4 clips, please over-rate me, tell me I'm unfunny like conan, or completely write me off. I'm waiting for all of the heavy criticism.

Also, Pas? Tom Yorke? Really? I always thought I looked like a cross between Keanu Reeves and Jim Carrey.

My Collection

Pas

haha no you don't seem so drunk after a while, my bad. You do look on medication tho (no offense haha! probably nervousness or something)

It's not really uninteresting, but it's definitely never funny. It's probably something that should be in a book (as you say you're more of a writer) and not be told on stage. You are really telling a lot about yourself but when you go see stand up you wanna laugh, not learn to know a character or something. A book is good for that. It's also really negative and a bit depressing, which again is better for a book.

So yeah, a bit diluted into a novel this should make a good character.

You do look like the radiohead singer!

cine

Yeah, pas nailed it. There's no heavy critcism to be given. Just plain and simple: you wanna be preachy and bitter and you did that the whole time. But you think it's funny and we don't. More than likely, others won't either.

john

Quote from: SiliasRuby on September 11, 2009, 01:56:08 PM

I wasn't really aiming for anything. It's just some shit and observations I had written down that I thought was funny.

Maybe try aiming for something. A little more focus and direction. I've heard the observations you're making before, and I've heard them expressed better. What you're saying isn't a revelation, but the way you present it could be. You can be as bitter as you want, just find a better way to deliver. Sneak it in, maybe. You probably have the ability to achieve that because you're articulate enough and I imagine you're influences are pretty terrific as well. I imagine, if you think about it and work at it, you'll post a video a couple months from now that will be absolutely spot on and stellar.

It's really cool that you shared this, though. One of the best parts about visiting this board is seeing people posts songs, art, and films they've made. I don't know you, Silias, I've never met you, but after watching this I have a lot more respect for you.

Thanks for sharing.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pas Rap on September 11, 2009, 05:04:37 PM
You do look like the radiohead singer!

You just gave him new material. His next thread will be called My Sit Down, Stand Up.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I am a masochist. I've always been a masochist so therefore I've been re-reading Pas' and Cinephile's criticism today after work while drinking heavy amounts of vodka and cursing myself. I wasn't really expecting anything different since I grew up being told by my parents and believing I was either a complete shit head with no talent who would never get anywhere in the world or I was great and significantly talented but you would again never make it anywhere in a city like Los Angeles. It was one extreme or the other. There was no middle ground. But on the other hand I showed them by getting a decent albeit worthless job that goes nowhere but pays well and a agent who believes in me. After all I do write 4 hours minimum every day. No matter what.

Sorry, I had a really tough week. I was mugged and beat up monday night after leaving a bar in burbank. Luckily I carry no cash on me and the guy threw my wallet at my chest. He proceeded to beat me and berate me before running off when he noticed some others coming around the corner leaving me in a burbank parking lot. I tweeted what happened to me that night, drove home and no one asked what was wrong. I proceeded home, put in 'newsradio' and had a white russian before trying to go to sleep. I'm not really looking for sympathy. Well, scratch that, maybe I am but I would prefer a high class prostitute. Any fellow Angelinos know of any?

My Collection

john

You got mugged in Burbank? shit, somehow that seems even worse. Nothing happens in Burbank. Sorry, dude.

Newsradio and a White Russian sounds like a pretty decent remedy, though.

The Aero is playing the first three Phantasm films tomorrow night. That's a pretty good remedy, too. You should go to that and sneak alcohol into the theater in your belly.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Pas

You can drink outrageous amounts of vodka but don't blame it on me! I wasn't even mean or negative!!! It's just not stand up!

ono

Quote from: SiliasRuby on September 11, 2009, 10:26:40 PM
I tweeted what happened to me that night, drove home and no one asked what was wrong. I proceeded home, put in 'newsradio' and had a white russian before trying to go to sleep. I'm not really looking for sympathy. Well, scratch that, maybe I am but I would prefer a high class prostitute. Any fellow Angelinos know of any?
See, now this is funny.

I like the part where you truly don't care.  Better than the Allens and Newmans of the world who can't even watch themselves on screen (or, maybe not, who knows).  Work that pain into the next one, preferably with the scuffmarks from the scuffle still intact.

And Mac, I lolzed.  I kicked myself after, but I lolzed.