Too into PTA

Started by kotte, August 23, 2003, 08:41:45 AM

kotte

I have a problem...maybe you have it too.

The last year I've been watching his films daily (almost obsessively). If it's not Magnolia, it's one of the others.

When I to write scripts of my own I subconsciously think "Is this something Paul would like. Would he write this if he was me?" etc.

I know this is VERY unhealthy for a writer and I try to block these thoughts out which I've done succesfully lately.
I think I've looked at his films as perfect but now I realize there are many writers/directors as good has him (but different). Coens for example.

I tend to like dialogue with a twist to it, you know. Not the ultra-realistic but realistic in a 'highten reality'. I think the Coens and PTA does this.

I'm pretty sure this didn't make sense...but if it did...

neatahwanta

I've listened to new albums at least once a day for up to a year, but after a while, it wears on ya.  Best thing to do is put those movies away where you can't play them (a locker at school or work, perhaps?).  During the time you'd be watching the movie, read a short story or something...or write.

Unless Paul is gonna grade your writing, you should probably stop wondering if Paul would like it.  :wink:

neatahwanta

"Extra cheese is 2 dollars."

I watched DTRT again a week ago, and damn that's a good movie.  I even wrote a crappy poem after watching it, which I haven't done in a year or so.

kotte

It's not that I wanna write like him...I have my own ideas how story and dialogue should play out but I think it can be dangerous to obsess about a director like I've done. Lately my own creativity and productivity have suffered because of this...

I'm finally getting out this phase...

Cecil

dont worry, i used to be the same with tarantino. youll grow out of it

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

So Cecil B. Demented DOES know Quinten Tarantino...and after you shot into the ceiling and yelled at the cashier girl....

For shame.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: kotteI have a problem...maybe you have it too.

The last year I've been watching his films daily (almost obsessively). If it's not Magnolia, it's one of the others.

When I to write scripts of my own I subconsciously think "Is this something Paul would like. Would he write this if he was me?" etc.

I know this is VERY unhealthy for a writer and I try to block these thoughts out which I've done succesfully lately.
I think I've looked at his films as perfect but now I realize there are many writers/directors as good has him (but different). Coens for example.

I tend to like dialogue with a twist to it, you know. Not the ultra-realistic but realistic in a 'highten reality'. I think the Coens and PTA does this.

I'm pretty sure this didn't make sense...but if it did...

what you have is a very commen problem amungst people who never get their scripts let alone made but looked at by anyone else except their co workers at kinkos

take a break clear your head and try again, writters are born not made if it was meant to be , it was meant to be

to prove my point look at all those bad tarantino rip offs that came out in 95 and 96 by guys who had zero expeierence and less talent, their films went straight to video and now they have to suffer the indignity of watching their films not get rented , because they all got jobs at blockbuster

not to be harsh, dont be a copy of anyone

i love pta's films , more then most people but im nothing like him in style

Cecil

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobSo Cecil B. Demented DOES know Quinten Tarantino...and after you shot into the ceiling and yelled at the cashier girl....

For shame.

NO ADD LIBING!

aclockworkjj

someone should start an offical..."I wannna fuck PTA" thread...cause seriously there are way too many stupid ass threads stating this very notion.

IHeartPTA

"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

Cecil

Quote from: aclockworkjjsomeone should start an offical..."I wannna fuck PTA" thread...cause seriously there are way too many stupid ass threads stating this very notion.

this comes close http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=296

aclockworkjj

lots come close...there is a fine line between "fanboy" and "faggot"...a lot of you need to kill your hard-on's...cause seriously I am sick of faggot ass threads all coming back to .."pta is so cool, and sexy.."...check yerself, cause you wreckin' shit here!  where is the substance in this shit?...reconize the flava in which ya throwin' it is stickin' shit n' sweet!

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: mogwaiyou're as obsessed as 'chainsmoking nut'. you can't compete with paul or try to be as him. watch a lot of various movies to get some inspiration. my advice is to watch spike lee movies. i don't why because i don't think it'd help anyway.

No truer words have been said mogwai.  only, my name is chainsmoking insomniac.  And I'm slowly but surely growing out of this.  It is dangerous to compare yourself to director/writers that you admire, creatively speaking.  But there's nothing wrong with gleaning inspiration from them.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pubrick

Quote from: aclockworkjjlots come close...there is a fine line between "fanboy" and "faggot"...a lot of you need to kill your hard-on's...cause seriously I am sick of faggot ass threads all coming back to .."pta is so cool, and sexy.."...check yerself, cause you wreckin' shit here!  where is the substance in this shit?...reconize the flava in which ya throwin' it is stickin' shit n' sweet!
dude, stop trying to be me.. or sum fucked up version of alguien with those painfully inept attempts at ebonics.

go back to being bland and fake cos this pretend integrity is worse than ur pretend gushing-praise. a message to all other wannaPs, just cos u start acting tough and pseudo-wise doesn't mean that u hav any fuckin perception of what is good and bad. especially since ur trying to fuckin copy sumone. clones.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

that would be kind of cool ..though..it could be like your..crew or something.you already have a good name for them

and introducing......the..   ::drum roll::
wannaPs

clever....