Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

bluejaytwist

Quote from: BonBon85You have to admit Radiohead was pretty cool before they became uber-pretentious. I'll listen to their stuff up until Kid A.

kid a/amnesiac/radiohead is much like tool in the sense that you wont like it until you are in a time in your life where it all starts to make sense...one day youll hear a track from it, and go back to the album and youll fall in love. i see you shaking your head now, but please re-read the first sentence again....
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

phil marlowe

:morning: (just to post something)

Newtron

Quote from: bluejaytwistkid a/amnesiac/radiohead is much like tool in the sense that you wont like it until you are in a time in your life where it all starts to make sense...one day youll hear a track from it, and go back to the album and youll fall in love. i see you shaking your head now, but please re-read the first sentence again....

You're only helping her cos you think '85 is her birth year. In which case, it's true and good, she may remember this post.
But in my experience, they'll only care less... or too late.

RegularKarate

Quote from: BonBon85You have to admit Radiohead was pretty cool before they became uber-pretentious. I'll listen to their stuff up until Kid A.

I think your confusing pretense with innovation.

I can see how people who prefer a certain kind of music wouldn't like Kid A, but it's really one of the most brilliant albums in existense.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateI think your confusing pretense with innovation.

Exactly. I think pretense is doing the same thing that has been done before and assuming people will think you're God.

Kid A and Amnesiac are brilliant, and I like where Radiohead is going. Well at least no one is saying they're "selling out" ...  :roll:  ....

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Kid A and Amnesiac are brilliant, and I like where Radiohead is going. Well at least no one is saying they're "selling out" ...  :roll:  ....
Somebody go get Bill Maplewood  :wink:

BonBon85

I knew I'd get yelled at for this. I suppose it's because listening to music is such a subjective experience. I don't hate all of Kid A. I think "Everything's in its Right Place" is a great song. But when I listen to a song like "Treefingers" I have to laugh that somebody probably considers it the most deep, meaningful, life altering song ever. I just think that Radiohead got to the point where they could have released a song of Thom Yorke clearing his throat and it would have been hailed as genius. I could go so far as to say that they weren't innovative as much as they were combining things The Velvet Underground and Pink Floyd had already done with the techno sound that was big at the time, but I think I'd be pelted with tomatoes. Maybe I sound immature/ignorant, but who knows, maybe you'll change your mind in a few years too.

RegularKarate

Quote from: BonBon85I could go so far as to say that they weren't innovative as much as they were combining things The Velvet Underground and Pink Floyd had already done with the techno sound that was big at the time, but I think I'd be pelted with tomatoes

PELT!

They were doing things the velvet underground and Pink Floyd did... and that was "being innovative".

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: BonBon85I could go so far as to say that they weren't innovative as much as they were combining things The Velvet Underground and Pink Floyd had already done

I'm sick of hearing that OK Computer is a Pink Floyd ripoff. Why does everyone say that? I don't even think Pink Floyd is that great, except for one or two songs. They were experimental though... so then Radiohead is unoriginal for being experimental?  :roll:  (that's for you RK, since I know you're above smileys)

Quote from: BonBon85I just think that Radiohead got to the point where they could have released a song of Thom Yorke clearing his throat and it would have been hailed as genius.

I would actually probably really really like that...

BonBon85

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI'm sick of hearing that OK Computer is a Pink Floyd ripoff. Why does everyone say that? I don't even think Pink Floyd is that great, except for one or two songs. They were experimental though... so then Radiohead is unoriginal for being experimental?  :roll:  

Actually OK Computer is one of my favorite albums and I never really liked Pink Floyd either. I wasn't saying that experimenting is bad but that experimenting in a manner that is just like another artist isn't innovative.

RegularKarate

Quote from: BonBon85I wasn't saying that experimenting is bad but that experimenting in a manner that is just like another artist isn't innovative.

if you're experimenting like someone else has already done, it's not really experimenting.  

How do you think that they're experimenting like Pink Floyd?  Because they're breaking bariers?  Changing the way instruments are used?  Using new techniques and equipment?  Using accelerated technology to come up with things that have never been done before?

Duck Sauce

Bon Bon, so wise for such a young age?  8)  

Off what we were saying, whens the new album come out?

Dirk

Quote from: Duck SauceOff what we were saying, whens the new album come out?

Apparently near the end of March.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Victor

I dont think its pretention, I think theyve always been a progressive band and theyre just trying to push themselves and their music to the next level. My favorite Radiohead of this moment is a cross between The Bends-style and Kid A-style, for me making OK Computer their best album and The National Anthem my favorite song.

Off topic - has anyone else noticed the similarity between 'treefingers' and the closing score of 'traffic'? And 'Motion Picture Soundtrack' reminds me a lot of the score and mood of Punch-Drunk Love.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Dirk

Quote from: LesterOff topic - has anyone else noticed the similarity between 'treefingers' and the closing score of 'traffic'?[/quote[

I've heard them both and don't see too much of a similarity. The "traffic" song is much better though. Always get to me.

QuoteAnd 'Motion Picture Soundtrack' reminds me a lot of the score and mood of Punch-Drunk Love.

Again, it doesn't really remind me of the PDL mood or score. That song is very depressing, at least to me.
Motion Picture Soundtrack =  :cry:
PDL =  :kiss:
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.