Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

rustinglass

Personnaly I think that the dogme thing was a joke that got out of hand. I only saw 2 dogme films and I didn't like them, i just thought that they didn't work: the acting was bad, the camera was annoying some times...
On the other hand, I think that the lars von trier films do work. It's so good how he directs the actors and handles the camera, the editing, every thing down to the music in them (my favourite trier thing are the chapter titles in breaking the waves, what's that all about? it's fuckin excelent!). I just think that trier is a brilliant director, whatever rules he breaks or follows, he makes excellent films, thats what filmaking is all about (duh!....) and that's what this thread should be about. thumbs up for a lars von trier's own category!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

Time to resurrect this thread. Von Trier's new film is premiering at Cannes, and the trailer just got released.

http://www.tvropa.com/Dogville/index.html

It's pretty nifty. Gives nothing away about the movie, but is very striking and intriguing. Although if you don't like Von Trier, you'll probably like him even less after seeing this.

Gold Trumpet

Is this movie going to be Dogme influenced like his last two movies?

~rougerum

phil marlowe

ive been looking forward for this trailer for a long time and now it wont fucking work for me. all it does is play a short audio loop, appearantly from the movie.

but actually i dont care, cause im going to se it a long time before any of you guys. and that because im a cool dane.

SoNowThen

I would just like to say that I LOVE Element Of Crime. Whoooo!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Here's what I found from another forum in which someone spoke about what Dogville may be like:

I don't think Dogville will be even close to Dogme. It's done in filmed-theater style (von Trier has cited the old Royal Shakespeare Company production of Nicolas Nickleby as an example). He's not using sets either -- the entire thing is supposed to be in an empty studio, with chalk outlines on the floor representing locations. (I heard von Trier wanted the actors to mime all the props as well, but supposedly he was talked out of this.) I read an interview with Peter Aalbaek Jensen where he says that von Trier has decided to completely switch styles again (much like the transition between Europa and The Kingdom), so there shouldn't be much more than a trace of Dogme here.

~rougerum

modage

just saw my first Von Trier film "Dancer In The Dark" and now i want to kill myself.   :cry: are all his movies this uplifting?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

BonBon85

Quote from: themodernage02just saw my first Von Trier film "Dancer In The Dark" and now i want to kill myself.   :cry: are all his movies this uplifting?

I think Dancer's the saddest, but Breaking the Waves is close behind

MrBurgerKing

Don't read this if you haven't seen Breaking the Waves, but it has one of my favorite last scenes ever. Von Trier made a real powerful closing scene, totally unexpected.

I don't know, I can't equate it to cheeseburgers this time. Anyone else want to jump in?

modage

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI don't know, I can't equate it to cheeseburgers this time. Anyone else want to jump in?

jump into a cheeseburger?  mmm........ i wish.  would i still get burned? and would i have to eat my way out?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: MrBurgerKingI don't know, I can't equate it to cheeseburgers this time. Anyone else want to jump in?

jump into a cheeseburger?  mmm........ i wish.  would i still get burned? and would i have to eat my way out?

Well, if you jump into a Burger King cheeseburger, you would get burnt. Did you hear the new logo? "Come on over, the fire's ready." I could be mistaken, but I never saw them cooking my burgers over an open fire. I just see them pop it in the microwave with a look of contempt on their faces. Those fast food employees truly despise life and humanity, just like Mr. Von Trier. Or perhaps they are scared of life?

modage

the pieces are beginning to fall into place...

+

=

jonas

Quote from: SoNowThenI would just like to say that I LOVE Element Of Crime. Whoooo!!!

WOW, i just rented this. It was great.

Part mystery, part sci-fi, part surreal fantasy.

Very good cinematography and a great story.

I recommend it. The DVD (criterion) includes a 50 minute documentary about von Trier as well.

:-D
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

rustinglass

I saw this one a little while ago too. It's very good.

I really like those tarkovsky looking shots of the rusting decadent landscape.
That splitting headache Fisher has while he is driving looks almost exactly like the end of lost highway.

Still, I prefer Blade Runner.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Gold Trumpet

Given the fact that Dogville feels like a stage production acting as a movie, I can't wait to read what Stanley Kauffmann says about Dogville considering he may be the only critic who has as much chops on theatre reviewing as he does for film reviewing.

~rougerum