Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Weak2ndActI just read the script for 'Dear Wendy,' which is shooting now.  It stars Jaime Bell and some chick I've never heard of (Alison Pill I believe is her name?).  LVT wrote it, but turned over directing duties to Thomas Vinterberg to he could finish the USA trilogy.
Basically-- Dear Wendy is LVT's 'love letter' to the US regarding gun control, and kids shooting adults.  It's pretty absurd... and strangely wonderful.  Basic premise: a 17 year old w/ no family falls in love w/ a gun, becomes empowered by it, then encourages the other outsiders in his small town to join him.  They all pack heat and create a child-like club-- built on studying guns and the damage they inflict.  They make a pact to never use their guns.  And once a new member enters the group, everything changes...
The whole thing is scored to music by The Zombies, and has an incredibly shocking climax.  This guy knows how to provoke audiences.  People will be talking about this one in a year or two.

:onfire:

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman:onfire:
So what exactly does this mean?

***beady***

Jeremy Blackman

I guess it means something close to this:

:multi:

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI guess it means something close to this:

:multi:

Glad we cleared that up.

rustinglass

Since friday I have seen two von trier films that I had never seen before:

Medea- This is a visually beautiful film. I felt that I was watching a dogme-film made by tarkovsky. Note that this is pre-pre dogme, however has some of the movement's elements. It tells the greek myth of Medea in a scandinavian setting, based on a carl t. dreyer script that never got made, and with a fantastic performance by udo kier. Once again I could count on lars to shock me and make all my limbs numb as the raw dramatic climax took place. Those of you who liked breaking the waves and the element of crime should watch this. I believe there is a new dvd edition out.

Epidemic- von Trier's horror documentary comedy drama film-within-a-film. A very interesting experiment in story-telling. We follow lars and niels vorsel as they try to write a film about a disease that is wiping out all of europe. I think of it basically as a prequel of the kindom (which I believe is the hospital that lars visits in epidemic). It has some very funny parts, as they were thinking of how to make the blister effects and their vision of a america based on pen-pals they had when they were 14. Also some very dramatic and scary moments. also highly recommended
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

classical gas

i must be lost or something, but when is 'dogville' coming to theaters, or did i completely miss it, i've heard it's being moved back and so on.  does anyone know the truth?  i'm lost in the dark.

Ghostboy

I think sometime in the spring -- I think I heard March mentioned somewhere, but  I don't remember where.

MacGuffin

Howard Heads to 'Manderlay' with Von Trier

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Stepping into a role that had originally been earmarked for Nicole Kidman, Bryce Dallas Howard is in negotiations to play the lead character in "Manderlay," Lars von Trier's newest film, sources said.

Howard, oldest daughter of director Ron Howard, is making her feature film debut in M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" (formerly known as "The Woods"), which is scheduled for release in August.

"Manderlay" is the second installment in a trilogy that began with "Dogville," which stars Kidman and Paul Bettany and is scheduled for release next year via Lions Gate. It is expected to pick up thematically where "Dogville" leaves off, telling a story of slavery in the American South.

Shooting is scheduled to begin in March in Denmark. Von Trier will direct from his own script.

At this year's Cannes Film Festival, von Trier publicly offered the role to Kidman at the "Dogville" news conference, and she appeared to accept. But she declined the role two months later because of scheduling conflicts.

Before "The Village," Howard had compiled a theater resume, including Manhattan Theater Club's "House/Garden," the Roundabout Theater's "Tartuffe" and the Public Theater's "As You Like It."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: classical gasi must be lost or something, but when is 'dogville' coming to theaters, or did i completely miss it, i've heard it's being moved back and so on. does anyone know the truth? i'm lost in the dark.
December 26, 2003 in Australia.
March 19, 2004 in the US.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinHoward Heads to 'Manderlay' with Von Trier

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Stepping into a role that had originally been earmarked for Nicole Kidman, Bryce Dallas Howard is in negotiations to play the lead character in "Manderlay," Lars von Trier's newest film, sources said.
i see, von trier is finally going to address the issue of ugly chicks.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MacGuffinHoward Heads to 'Manderlay' with Von Trier

Does that even make sense? Isn't Howard like 19 and Kidman 30 something? Howard will be playing Kidman's role from 'Dogville', right?

Ghostboy

The Silver Bullet

I was under the impression that the three films of the trilogy would be connected only by von Trier's commentary on the country and nothing else...
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

godardian

I've always been dying to see The Kingdom miniseries he made for Danish TV (I believe there were two separate miniseries...?). I wonder if anyone has seen them, and if there's any chance of a DVD release someday? MacG?

Watching Kieslowski's Decalogue made me think of it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.