Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

SoNowThen

SoNowThen is apparently not allowed to have his own opinion on what he finds attractive in the opposite sex.

And as to LVT, he makes good movies, none of you know him in real life, so who cares if he's an asshole or not? You can't tell from a few interviews how someone conducts their personal life, nor should you care.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenSoNowThen is apparently not allowed to have his own opinion on what he finds attractive in the opposite sex.

Of course he is allowed that (who has the capacity/power to "disallow" it??)... but he's also encouraged to know when it's just not relevant. I personally think it's tiresome to have things devolve into "who's hot/hotter/hottest or not?" contests, particularly here; it's cool to say, "Oh that person's really attractive," but why do you have to rag on what other people find hot, merely because you don't happen to? Isn't that a TV show with pathetic Lorenzo Lamas? Isn't it like, the dregs of all popular culture? It's really the lowest form of discourse- it's proof you're keeping your brain between your legs.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Glancing at recent history, one would see that I simply said HS looked good in a picture, and then was promptly labelled a "she-male lover" and being "under the influence of gay fashion designers". Both funny comments, yes, but don't make me out to be the Bad Guy here, when all I did was offer a simple opinion.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

what bad guy, don't join the cry-me-a-river bandwagon now..

did i not just end this amicably on the previous page? yeah let's all ignore that then.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Just watched Dancer In The Dark again. I think this movie has one of the most perfect "sounding" openings ever. That overture is just spectacular. Still looking for an element of crime dvd, but I can never find it and end up buying something else. Oh well.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

Did I miss the thread for Kingdom Hospital?

Has Lars spoken of this at all?  Is he happy with the results?  How's he taking the ads that say "From the mind of Stephen King"?

Stefen

Quote from: hacksparrowDid I miss the thread for Kingdom Hospital?

Has Lars spoken of this at all?  Is he happy with the results?  How's he taking the ads that say "From the mind of Stephen King"?

Who knows. I think hes gets a characters created by credit though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

Aw, man!  Kingdom Hospital's theme song isn't as cool as the original's.  And the opening credit sequence was pilfered from "Six Feet Under" big time!

Ghostboy

The ads, which looked only somewhat cool, suggested that this new version is very far removed from the original. I take it from Hacksparrow's comment that it's already started, so I'll probably miss it--but I'm curious as to how it is.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: GhostboyThe ads, which looked only somewhat cool, suggested that this new version is very far removed from the original. I take it from Hacksparrow's comment that it's already started, so I'll probably miss it--but I'm curious as to how it is.

Not very good.

I'm a fan of Stephen King but two things are bringing this down: 1) the director is showing creepy things but managing to not make it scary; and 2) King is trying too hard to out-weird Lars and it's just not working.

Stick to the original miniseries.

bonanzataz

yeah, stephen king miniseries usually suck anyways.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

moonshiner

Quote from: hacksparrowHas Lars spoken of this at all? Is he happy with the results? How's he taking the ads that say "From the mind of Stephen King"?

Lars, as you so fondly refer to him as, is the executive producer...
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Fernando

Danny Glover Joins Lars von Trier's Manderlay
Source: Intertain Film
Friday, March 5, 2004

Danish filmsite Intertain Film reports today that "Lethal Weapon" series star Danny Glover has joined the cast for international acclaimed director Lars von Triers next film, Manderlay, produced by Zentropa.

Already aboard Manderlay - which is the second film in von Triers "USA" - trilogy starting with last years Nicole Kidman starrer Dogville (opens in the US later this month) - is Bryce Howard Dallas and African actor Isaach De Bankolé in the leads, while Dogville - veterans Jeremy Davies, Stellan Skarsgård, Lauren Bacall, Chloë Sevigny, Jean-Marc Barr and Udo Kier also will appear in the film.

Lars Von Trier will start shooting Manderlay on a soundstage in Trollhättan, Sweden, on Monday. Expected world premiere is sometime in 2005, pressumably at the Cannes Film Festival.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: FernandoLars Von Trier will start shooting Manderlay on a soundstage in Trollhättan, Sweden, on Monday.

And if Danny Glover thought he had a hard time catching a cab in New York...

kotte

John C. Reilly joins the cast of Manderlay

+ tons of british soap actors...