Division Of Laura Lee

Started by modage, May 20, 2003, 12:27:16 AM

modage

im not sure i saw these guys on here.  theyre from sweden so kind of got lost in the whole swedish "invasion" thing of 2002 (with the hives, sahara hotnights, the international noise conspiracy, etc), but are really pretty good.  their album Black City is very good and rocks without being too retro or arty.  heres the soundbite...

'Black City' is a tremendous album. Its 12 tightly-wound, retro-punk tracks mix the brooding sensuality of Girls Against Boys with the dark atmospherics of Joy Division and the hip-shaking drive of latter-day Primal Scream. Throw in cool lyrics like ''I'm not your toy for penetration" and smartly subversive titles such as 'The Truth Is F**ked' and 'We've Been Planning This For Years', and - to borrow a phrase from The Hives - DOLL could well prove to be your new favourite band.

they are also really good live.  does anybody else listen to these guys?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatwad

i like these guys alot. The Hives old stuff was much better then the new stuff. I.N.C i can not get in to.

I do like Sahara Hotnights. CD rocks. Much better then those shitty Donnas

//www.thestate22.com

modage

this thread is HUGE!  let me just extend my personal recommendation to everyone out there, Division of Laura Lee's second album Das Not Compute came out today in the US (its been out a few weeks everywhere else), and it rocks.  you can check out one of the new songs by downloading the mp3 off their site www.divisionoflauralee.com  its not the best song on the album (although it is the first), but its pretty good.  

they are pretty unknown, but deserve to be more known than that.  for anyone downloading off of something illegal i recommend "Dirty Love", "All Streets End", and "Loveless".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

GoneSavage

Good to know some new stuff is out.  I caught them in January '03 when Burning Brides opened up for them.  I was there for the Burning Brides but I stayed to get drunk and keep watching bands and was pleasantly surprised by DOLL.  A lot of their countrymen were there aparrently following their US tour, they were holding a big Swedish flag in this small Chicago bar.  I bought Black City that night and it's a great piece of work.

modage

oh my god, a RESPONSE!  yeah, i think they're really cool so it's weird that absolutely nobody has heard of them yet.  maybe because they're still so relatively new and have yet to develop a following.  if it can happen for a band like Modest Mouse...

GoneSavage

Well, since it took FOREVER for Modest Mouse to break, making that link may be detrimental.  DOLL was getting mentioned a lot when The Hives were big because the journalist would feel compelled to trot out all the rockin Swedish bands at the time.  As a result of The Hives' success, bands like Sahara Hotnights, DOLL, Hellacopters, and (I)NC got a lot of free press.  Out of all of them, Hellacopters slay the most but I'd have to make a new thread for that.