Foo Fuckin' Fighters!

Started by Xixax, October 03, 2003, 12:45:39 PM

Xixax

I've admired Dave Grohl for a long time. Ever since Nirvana's demise, I've seen him show up here and there - always with a great sense of humor, and always rocking hard and furious.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to just break down and do it, so in one fell swoop I bought all three Foo Fighters CD's and haven't been able to stop listening to them.

These guys are one of the great underrated bands of our time, I'd say. Dave will never reach "legendary" status because Kurt stole the show with his suicide and all, but he deserves to...

"Sometimes I feel like I get stuck between the handshake and the fuck."
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

Dude, there are four Foo Fighters albums.

But, yeah, I've always thought they were really good.

Thing is "Colour and the Shape" is one of the best albums ever and it was the second album... from that point, everything seems a little bland in comparison.  

My favorite Foo-Fighter's moment:  When David Letterman came back after his heart surgery, he was asked what band he wanted to play and he said "I want the Foo Fighters to play my favorite song, Everlong".  FF were on a huge European tour supporting the third album and they cancelled a sold out show to come to play on Letterman.

Also, Mike, if you dig the Foo, you should check out the European release of Nirvana's In Utero... it has a bonus track "Marigold" that was recorded entirely by Grohl (same as the first two FF albums).

Pedro

Foo Fighters are great.  They're one of the first rock bands i found by myself when i was younger.  Before that it was all my dad's music

aclockworkjj

I think this is the 1st thread Mike has started here....foo fuckin' fighters...rock on!

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjI think this is the 1st thread Mike has started here

He's done at least four, but any reason to bring this thread back to life:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=600
He's got new material now.

As for the Foo Fighters, I liked them better when Pat Smear was still in the group. And the video copying those Mentos ads was great.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

I never thought they were That good. I mean they've made some pretty good pop/rock-songs, but Dave Grohl is a lauzy singer, especially live! I liked some of the songs on the new album, but they don't excactly bring anything new to the genre.

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteFoo Fuckin' Fighters!

bah...
Si

Gamblour.

Quote from: XIXAX

Oh god, this quote is the story of my life. I'm so glad this thread got started. Nothing describes the joy I feel when I listen to the Colour and the Shape. That album is one of the best albums ever made. God, I love it so much. Every track is gold.
WWPTAD?

ono

I have nothing to add to this topic, other than:

"We can all sleep easy at night knowing that somewhere at any given time, the Foo Fighters are out there fighting Foo."
-David Letterman

damn the new song is really really good.

from the official website:

Hey there. Dave here. Sitting in my favorite chair in the control room with a few minutes to spare. Nick is mixing. MT is doing some technical shit that no one else could even begin to understand. BB is probably on the phone in the office, or practicing his pong skills (which have become utterly unstoppable). Sean is whittling wood in the warehouse. Geoff is back at home. Taylor just left after his usual afternoon visit. It's a hot one, today, though it makes no difference here deep in the bowels of 606, where it's always a cool, comfortable 72 degrees. Fortunately, I just had my week in the sun, taking a nice break before we begin the mix. Many beers were spilled (down my throat) beside the pool. Many listens of the new album. Many viewings of NAPOLEON DYNAMITE. Many hours sleep. The past month was a flippin' bear. Noon to 6 am everyday. I have probably single handily depleted the Kona coast of all coffee reserves. But, we did it. It's done.

"In Your Honor" will be the bands fifth album. Almost exactly a decade from the release of the first Foo Fighters record, it will come out in June. It is a double album, as promised. One CD rock, one CD acoustic. It will surprise you. It surprises me. Almost a year in the making, from 5 hours of bedroom demos, to warehouses being built from the ground up, to months of rehearsals, to the construction of an 8,000 square foot classic recording studio, to the recording of 40 songs, to the final track list of 20 songs, it is by far the most ambitious project I have ever had anything to do with in my entire life.

There are subtleties. There are complexities. There are extremities. There are familiarities. There is orchistration. There is simplicity. There is a pile of blown speakers on the floor. There is full bottle of whiskey covered in drywall dust. There is a full bottle of whiskey covered in drywall dust that is about to disappear.

Never before have we ever put so much effort into the making of an album. 1st record- 6 days. 2nd record- 2 months. 3rd record- 3 or 4 months (but mostly just drinking and BBQ) 4th record- 2 and a half weeks. 5th record- writing, rehearsing, recording = 9 months. And now we are the proud parents of a beautiful 2 headed baby. Born with a 606 on her head, just like that creep from the Omen.

I will spare you the track by track bullshit. You can decide for yourselves. There are a few guests. They may seem strange to you. They don't seem strange to me. I just love music. Music can be faceless. It can be nameless. After all, it's the sound that makes your hair stand on end, right? It will.

I will write more soon (I always say that), but just so you know, I have a calendar in front of me that is a year long, fucking packed with tours that will spin us around the globe over and over and over again. It makes me dizzy just looking at it. I can't fucking wait.

See you soon,
Dave

album cover
context, context, context.

modage

cool album cover.  reading that makes me want to hear the album.  i havent listened to the foo since colour and the shape, (and havent heard the new song yet).  i will probably listen to this album though to give it a shot.  i also saw them a few times years ago.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

The Foo Fighters do indeed rock and are one of the few bands than everyone can enjoy, hipsters and meatheads alike cause they're just a really good band.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

The new song is pretty fucking awesome. Somewhere between the intensity of Colour and the Shape and the pop catchiness of There is Nothing Left to Lose. It's just really intense is all I can say.

The new album seems intriguing.
WWPTAD?

Myxo

Quote from: Gamblor Posts Drunk
Quote from: XIXAX

Oh god, this quote is the story of my life. I'm so glad this thread got started. Nothing describes the joy I feel when I listen to the Colour and the Shape. That album is one of the best albums ever made. God, I love it so much. Every track is gold.

Their acoustic version of Everlong is outstanding. Did that ever get a release?

Weird. Oh

new album is fantastic! Gotta love pirates.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.