a _______ __________ film

Started by sphinx, January 21, 2003, 03:00:09 PM

Ernie

I think it's deserving personally. I think it's really cool, I may or may not do it when I become a filmmaker. I think it sounds so stupid with my name...

An Eric Beaman Picture
An Eric Beaman Film
An Eric Beaman Production

It sounds so terrible. Anyways, the one thing that pisses me off concerning pretentious titling is the shit that Wes Craven does. The Wes Craven presents stuff. I think that's pretentious personally. Whatever, I don't even like Wes Craven.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: ebeaman69

An Eric Beaman Picture
An Eric Beaman Film
An Eric Beaman Production

Just call yourself "Be A Man"

Ernie

Duck Sauce

Maybe if you dont like being called Eric Semen, you shouldnt have mentioned it. Eric Semen.

Ernie

sphinx

both of you get out of my thread right now

moonshiner

thinking about this, when reading some of the posts i realized that PDL just started, very alarming, and two minutes into the picture i knew this was gonna be a movie so artsy, and so over the head of 90 percent of the people who viewed it, and that i was going to love it.  that made a statement and almost served as a warning....the opening credit sequence was very powerful and meaningful in Punch Drunk Love, but maybe not so in a lot of movies
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

sphinx

Quote from: moonshiner1620the opening credit sequence was very powerful and meaningful in Punch Drunk Love,

nonexistant, but sure

Duck Sauce

Quote from: sphinxboth of you get out of my thread right now

Cmon, something new.

Ghostboy

I hated hated hated the title sequence for Spiderman. I also hate the one for Daredevil, which is a blatant rip off of Spiderman's lame 'spinning round the city' thing.

When you think about it, most movies integrate opening titles into the actual film pretty well. Actual title sequences, when done well (Fincher movies, obviously), can be extraordinary precursors to the story. Still, if my cast and crew waive that part of the contract, I don't think I'll ever use any on my movies.

I also think that whichever way the director wants to credit himself is fine...but he should really only do it once. M Night Shyamalan always gives himself a directing credit twice (once at the beginning, once at the end) and its regoddamndiculous.

P.S. I like Von Trier's titles, actually. Nice and distinctive and quick. I also loved the lengthy overture that opened Dancer In The Dark (similar to the one in 2001).

Ernie

Quote from: moonshiner1620thinking about this, when reading some of the posts i realized that PDL just started, very alarming, and two minutes into the picture i knew this was gonna be a movie so artsy, and so over the head of 90 percent of the people who viewed it, and that i was going to love it.  that made a statement and almost served as a warning....the opening credit sequence was very powerful and meaningful in Punch Drunk Love, but maybe not so in a lot of movies

Are you talking about the first color swipe? When Barry is backing out of the office, somebody says good morning to him and he finally answers Lance's question (where did this piano come from?) with his usual "I don't know."  That was really fucking powerful. That was the point where I knew PTA had done it again. I knew I was going to love the movie.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyI also think that whichever way the director wants to credit himself is fine...but he should really only do it once. M Night Shyamalan always gives himself a directing credit twice (once at the beginning, once at the end) and its regoddamndiculous.

Spike Lee does it too. He always recalls his his cast and crew with: The Players and The Filmmakers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Hmmm. I guess I have a double standard! I think what bugged me about Shyamalan is that at the end of the opening credits, he puts Directed by M Night Shyamalan, and then the first thing you see when its over is An M Night Shyamaln Film. I wouldn't have so much of a problem with him getting two credits if he didn't bookend the movie that way.

Upon further thought, most directors will put their name twice in the opening credits...starting off with so-and-so presents a ________ film, and then at the end of the opening credits they'll have Directed By__________. Then, at the closing credits, it usually starts with the cast and Unit Production Manager, and I realize suddenly that I am thinking about this WAY too much and that I probably just have a problem with Shyamalan (I love his films, but I feel that he's a bit of an egotist).

©brad

Quote from: GhostboyHmmm. I guess I have a double standard! I think what bugged me about Shyamalan is that at the end of the opening credits, he puts Directed by M Night Shyamalan, and then the first thing you see when its over is An M Night Shyamaln Film. I wouldn't have so much of a problem with him getting two credits if he didn't bookend the movie that way.

Upon further thought, most directors will put their name twice in the opening credits...starting off with so-and-so presents a ________ film, and then at the end of the opening credits they'll have Directed By__________. Then, at the closing credits, it usually starts with the cast and Unit Production Manager, and I realize suddenly that I am thinking about this WAY too much and that I probably just have a problem with Shyamalan (I love his films, but I feel that he's a bit of an egotist).

I think you're right. That M. Night Shymalan at the beginning and the end pissed me off too- Directed by M. Night Shymalan- okay we heard you the first time asshole, it's bad enough we have to watch your ass in one of the worst director cameo appearances in history. I remember bitching about it at the old message board when Signs first came out.

The Coen Bros. are more modest, and bless them for that. They edit under a pseudonym.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: cbrad4d...Directed by M. Night Shymalan- okay we heard you the first time asshole, it's bad enough we have to watch your ass in one of the worst director cameo appearances in history...

I cracked up when that happened too.  Did anyone else think a young Indian guy seemed out of place in cornbread-fed, rural Americana?