My Playlist

Started by MoosethePR, February 27, 2004, 05:03:07 PM

godardian

1. "Piano Trio in E-Flat" - Schubert (from Barry Lyndon)

2. "Dear God, Please Help Me" - Morrissey

3. "Human Being" - New York Dolls

4. "China Girl" - Iggy Pop

5. "Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets" - Dionne Warwick

6. "Meat and Potatoes" - Belle and Sebastian

7. "Totally Wired" - The Fall

8. "I'm Your Villain" - Franz Ferdinand

9. "Equator" - Sparks

10. "Superstar" - The Carpenters

11. "The Collector" - Sarah Nixey

12. "Reeling" - PJ Harvey

13. "Street Corner Love" - Jobriath

14. "The Wings (Closing)" - Gustavo Santaolalla (from Brokeback Mountain)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Slick Shoes

1.  "The Swimming Song" by Loudon Wainwright III

2.  "Come A Long Way" by Loudon Wainwright III

3.  "Train Under Water" by Bright Eyes

4.  "The Classical" by The Fall

5.  "Fairytale In The Supermarket" by The Raincoats

6.  "Cosmic Dancer" by T. Rex

7.  "Cross Bones Style" by Cat Power

8.  "Moonshiner" by Cat Power

godardian

Quote from: Slick Shoes on February 05, 2006, 07:48:29 PM

What does he sound like, anyway? I just watched Undeclared and was reminded that Morrissey was a teenage fan of Loudon Wainwright. (Yes, I'm that slavish a Morrissey fan--one of my few indulgences.)

4.  "The Classical" by The Fall

5.  "Fairytale In The Supermarket" by The Raincoats

6.  "Cosmic Dancer" by T. Rex

:yabbse-thumbup:

Quote from: Slick Shoes on February 05, 2006, 07:48:29 PM7.  "Cross Bones Style" by Cat Power

8.  "Moonshiner" by Cat Power

I've always preferred You Are Free to Moon Pix, but it's been a looooong time since I've given it a spin...maybe I'll put out my copy sometime soon for a recheck.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

i'm doing a sad playlist, here's what i have so far, without order :

yo la tengo - needle of death
beck - broken drum
adam green- who's your boyfriend
antony and the johnsons - hope there's someone
rufus wainwright- the art teacher
jonathan richman and the modern lovers - hospital (back in your life version)
belle & sebastian - dress up in you
mew -white lips kissed
xiu xiu- crank heart
devotchka- how it ends

context, context, context.

Slick Shoes

Quote from: godardian on February 05, 2006, 08:27:36 PM

What does he sound like, anyway? I just watched Undeclared and was reminded that Morrissey was a teenage fan of Loudon Wainwright. (Yes, I'm that slavish a Morrissey fan--one of my few indulgences.)
Sadly, my familiarity with Loudon Wainwright doesn't extend beyond a single album, Attempted Mustache, from which these two songs were culled. From what I've heard, it's not his best. I purchased it on the strength of the two songs, particularly The Swimming Song. Overall, I'd describe his sound as a twangy, world weary, tongue-in-cheek brand of folk. I'm looking forward to the time when my finances will permit me to delve further into his catalogue.

godardian

1. "Dress Up in You" - Belle and Sebastian

2. "You Have Killed Me" - Morrissey

3. "Everyone Thinks He Looks Daft" - The Wedding Present

4. "Sherlock Holmes" - Sparks

5. "Mickey Mouse" - Sparks

6. "Boys of Melody" - The Hidden Cameras

7. "The Tide That Left and Never Came Back" - The Veils

8. "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" - Joni Mitchell

9. "Never Here" - Elastica

10. "My New House" - The Fall

11. "Nothing Rhymed" - Gilbert O'Sullivan

12. "Song for the Migrant Worker" - The Tears

13. "I Want a Boy for My Birthday" - The Cookies

14. "Beginnings" - Elmer Bernstein (from Far from Heaven)

meatwad

1. "Miranda"- Slowdive
2. "I Saw Her In The Anti War Demonstration"- Jens Lekman
3. "I Tried To Leave You"- Leonard Cohen
4. "Heaven"- Talking Heads
5. "Now That I Know"- Devendra Banhart
6. "Come Down Softly To My Soul"- Spacemen 3
7. "Motion Pictures"- Neil Young
8. "You Were The Fool"- Ween
9. "Losing On A Tuesday"- Adam Green
10. "Born On A Train"- Magnetic Fields
11. "What Are You"- Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & Matt Sweeney
12. "Big Engine Nazi Kid Daydream"- The Gris Gris
13. "Hercules"- Mercury Rev

Gamblour.

I would've hated this playlist a year ago, but I'm just so addicted to these bands. This is probably the greatest playlist ever made.

1. The Verve - "Weeping Willow"
2. Broken Social Scene - "Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl"
3. Mogwai - "2 Rights Make 1 Wrong"
4. Oasis - "Champagne Supernova"
5. Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees"
6. Sigur Ros - "Seaglopur"
7. Wilco - "Reservations"
8. My Morning Jacket - "Into the Woods"
9. Sufjan Stevens - "The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades"
10. The Helio Sequence - "Stracenska 612"
WWPTAD?

squints

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on March 24, 2006, 02:24:28 PM
I would've hated this playlist a year ago, but I'm just so addicted to these bands. This is probably the greatest playlist ever made.

7. Wilco - "Reservations"

The most beautiful song ever recorded
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil

This is what came up when I hit "Party Shuffle" on Itunes

1. The Cure - Why Can't I Be You
2. The Police - Can't Stand Losing You
3. Fiona Apple - Tymps (The Sick In The Head Song)
4. Ozma - Continental Drift (Flight Of The Bootymademoiselle)
5. Cursive - Driftwood: A Fairy Tale
6. The Beatles - Happiness Is A Warm Gun
7. Bob Dylan - Masters Of War
8. The Pixies - Alec Eiffel
9. Park - Gasoline Kisses For Everyone
10. Weezer - In The Garage
11. Glassjaw - Ape Dos Mil
12. Nada Surf - Do It Again
13. Muse - Time Is Running Out
14. Taking Back Sunday - Little Devotional
15. Ted Leo And The Pharmacists - The Gold Finch and the Red Oak
16. The Good Life - Album Of The Year
17. Say Anything - The Futile
18. Simon And Garfunkel - Cecilia 
19. Hot Hot Heat - Goodnight, Goodnight
20. Moneen - Are We Really Happy with Who We Are Right Now?

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

squints

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2006, 02:55:02 PM

11. Glassjaw - Ape Dos Mil

this band doesn't get enough credit. Their two albums are amazing and they pretty much started the whole "screamo" thing. I hear so many bands that are just trying to sound like Glassjaw
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil

this band doesn't get enough credit. Their two albums are amazing and they pretty much started the whole "screamo" thing. I hear so many bands that are just trying to sound like Glassjaw

Seriously couldn't agree more, and i challenge anyone ever to listen to glassjaw and tell me that what they do isn't pure brilliance...If you need physical proof, buy any Glassjaw cd, and listen to a song in the right speaker, then proceed to listen to the same song in the left...You'll hear some of the most amazing guitar work to ever grace ears..oh, and be sure to listen to that song in both speakers once you've listened to each seperately...The first time i heard them, i was confused, and scared (ha ha ha ha) but i warmed up to them, and realized that since they kind of came out when the "screamo" thing was hitting mainstream they got tied into it, sort of like what happened when incubus broke through, i mean we all know they're not "rap rock" Limp bizkit, and linkin park are "rap rock."  Incubus, is  not even close to those bands...So, yeah, i'm glad people like glassjaw around here... :yabbse-thumbup:  :bravo:
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

mogwai

firefox ak - madame, madame!
nanko - lucky you
mogwai - glasgow mega-snake
whyte seeds - bold as love
boards of canada - bocuma

Slick Shoes

"cheree" by suicide

"the more you ignore me, the closer i get" by morrissey

"what in the world" by david bowie

"let's move to the country" by smog

"pretty in pink" by the psychedelic furs

ono

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2006, 02:55:02 PM
This is what came up when I hit "Party Shuffle" on Itunes
The concept of "playlist" seems so foreign to me ever since I switched from Windows to Mac almost two years ago, and hence, Winamp to iTunes.  For those not in the know, iTunes allows you to create playlists (different from Winamp [last I used it] in that you don't have to load them up -- just click on one), so I use those to put all songs from each album I have in its own playlist.  Nothing special there, it's probably a common practice.  But I bring this up because since I've used iTunes I've never really had a solid playlist.  This is because of iTunes' wonderful Party Shuffle.  I haven't used the Library as a source in a very long time.  What I've found works for me is throwing all the albums I'm currently obsessing over into one large playlist and pulling from that.  I like to set it to 10 recently played, 10 upcoming, and lots of times I'll throw whole albums onto the queue as well.

Anyone got any quirky listening habits they wanna throw out there?