alt-cuntry...or that acoustic folk shit [lo-fi]

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 11, 2005, 09:49:56 PM

NEON MERCURY

lately, i can't stop listening to this shit

i need some help adding to my collection...

please add to the list of recomendations....once you add tomy list i will amazon 30sec. sample this stuff and if i purchase the cd i willl post back and give ya'll mad props.......thanks

wilco: being there, agib, yankeehotelfoxtrot
loose fur
jim o rourke: eureka, insignificance
bonnie prince billy/palace: viva last blues, i see adarkness, superwolf [just purchased and will review soon for those interested]
ryan adams: heartbreaker, cold roses
whisketown: faithless street, stranger's almanac
jerry garcia, david grisham, tony rice: the pizza tapes
sufjan stevens: illinois[ just purchased from ya'll recomendation]

***i plan on getting holopaw's: quit and/or fight?******

so, thats the shit i got....if ya'll know some good bluegrass stuff like garcia/ghrisham..suggest soem things...

as for what i got.......my top 3 are cold roses, yankeehotelfoxtrot, and insignificance.........

please hook a brotha up.........
show me what you know.......

i like that type of shit when you're half -drunk listening to thsi stuff out on the deck at nigth feelign despressed...

polkablues

Good list so far...

Off the top of my head (more to come later):

Minibar - Fly Below the Radar
Pete Yorn - musicforthemorningafter
Wayne - Music on Plastic
Willis - Rivers & Ditches
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Billy Bragg- Mermaid Avenue

I don't know if it counts, but it came to mind.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

life_boy

Quote from: NEON MERCURY***i plan on getting holopaw's: quit and/or fight?******

I plan on getting that album too (along with their first album), very soon.

Quote from: NEON MERCURYso, thats the shit i got....if ya'll know some good bluegrass stuff like garcia/ghrisham..suggest soem things...

David Grisman & Tony Rice - Tone Poems (1994)
Grisman (mandolin) and Rice (guitar) perform a number of instrumental bluegrass pieces with just the two instruments.  Wonderfully beautiful stuff.  They did a series of these "Tone Poems" releases, but I'm only familiar with their first one.
Favorite Tracks: "Turn of the Century"; "Swing '42"; "Song for Two Pamelas" (but really, there's not a bad track)

Bad Livers - Delusions of Banjer[/b] (1992)
I love this album.  It's not traditional bluegrass like Grisman & Rice tend to be...it is more like alt-bluegrass with a tuba and a sense of humor.  It's not depressing, so if you're intent on being half-drunk/depressed, maybe you should get drunk listening to Delusions of Banjer and then stick in Heartbreaker or some shit and contemplate depression and heartache.  Otherwise, just have a good time.
Favorite Tracks: "Uncle Lucius"; "Shit Creek"; "Crow Black Chicken"; "Precious Time"

Bad Livers - Industry & Thrift[/b] (1998)
The Bad Livers are not always easy to classify because they do all kinds of stuff in each song, but it is always rooted in bluegrass thanks to the banjo.  There's even some slower tempo, depressing songs ("Captain, Oh Captain").  But the record for the most part is fun to listen to, although not as straightforward as Delusions tends to be.
Favorite Tracks: "Lumpy, Beanpole and Dirt"; "I'm Convicted"; "Captain, Oh Captain"

NEON MERCURY

man.... :yabbse-grin: ...thanks for the recs.
i copied all that good shit down..and i will sample accordingly...

SHAFTR

Quote from: polkablues

I'm a big fan of this album.  His followup wasn't nearly as good...but musicforthemorningafter really sounds like the title name.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

polkablues

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: polkablues

I'm a big fan of this album.  His followup wasn't nearly as good...but musicforthemorningafter really sounds like the title name.

It's been said that you have your whole life to write your first album, and about eight months to write your second.  Pete Yorn demonstrated that.  Still, I'll buy whatever the dude puts out there.

And Neon... just add on as much Ryan Adams as you can.  "Love is Hell", "Rock N Roll", "Demolition" (you can take or leave "Gold").  Ryan Adams is a good thing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

meatwad

i don't think pete yorn really fits into the catagory you're looking for neon, but maybe that is just me

and here are some recs...

little wings- light green leaves

magnolia electric co- what comes after the blues

okkervil river- black sheep boy

pete

David Garza.
M. Ward (strong strong strong recommendation).
gilberto gil and jorge ben.
greg brown.
northwestern and folk (or something.  they were m. ward's backup band and the drummer was the chick from the decemberist)
devotchka
india arie acoustic soul?
I dunno.
David Garza.

me?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cecilia

The Jayhawks.  Check out Tomorrow the Green Grass, Hollywood Town Hall, Sound of Lies...I love the later albums not mentioned too but many fans prefer the earlier records.

The Scud Mountain Boys, look for the album Massachusetts.  Joe Pernice went on from that band and formed The Pernice Brothers with his brother.  All their albums are great to me, I don't see any reason to start with one or another but the latest is one of my favorites of this year.  It's called Discover a Lovelier You.  

I really like My Morning Jacket, I've only heard their album It Still Moves.  The singer has a super classic country high and lonesome voice.

Calexico "Feast of Wire"

Daniel Lanois album Shine is amazing.  Lots of slide guitar and atmosphere.  The song with Bono annoys me but the rest of it has really stayed with me for a long time now.

Aimee Mann's latest The Forgotten Arm approaches alt-country.

Super Furry Animals album Phantom Power is an amalgam of modern brit/psych-pop but also has a cohesive alt-country feel to most of the album.  I love this band and can't wait for the new one out soon.

More consistently great artists: Gillian Welch, Neko Case, Clem Snide, Uncle Tupelo, Sun Volt, Old 97's, Joe Henry, Autumn Defense, and anything to do with Gram Parsons "the father of country-rock".    

On Sundays 11a-1p Indie 103.1 in LA has a great program called Watusi Rodeo that I really enjoy.  You can listen online too.  www.indie1031.fm

Other online listening channels, some more alt-country than others:
http://www.kcuvradio.com/
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/thecurrent/
http://publicbroadcast.net/wncw/ppr/index.shtml
http://www.kexp.org/
http://www.woxy.com/ (not known especially for alt-country programming but great broad spectrum indie station nontheless)

If anyone else knows of any other good americana/alt-country online streams, I'd be interested.  I had one a year or so ago I liked and I can't find it in my bookmarks.  I think it was out of Colorado but that's all I can remember.
I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything.

Ghostboy

Townes Van Zandt. And, as recommended one post up, Gram Parsons.

modage

yes, i really like alt-country.  that is all.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weird. Oh

I would recommend a band called The Fruit Bats. They just came out with a new album but I recommend their 2003 release Mouthfuls (Sub-Pop). On mouthfuls, it features a boy-girl vocal duo which I enjoy very much. This is more like a folk-pop or something like that. I dunno. Check it out.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

life_boy

Also, Lucero's first album is good.  Self-titled.