PTA featured in new book

Started by Find Your Magali, January 22, 2005, 05:36:58 PM

Find Your Magali

I'm guessing you groovy folks are already aware of this book that comes out Tuesday...

Description:

The 1990s saw a shock wave of dynamic new directing talent that took the Hollywood studio system by storm. At the forefront of that movement were six innovative and daring directors whose films pushed the boundaries of moviemaking and announced to the world that something exciting was happening in Hollywood, even as much of the industry was mired in mediocrity. Sharon Waxman of the New York Times spent the decade covering these young filmmakers, and now in Rebels on the Backlot she tells this fascinating story by weaving together the lives and careers of:

Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction
Steven Soderbergh, Traffic
David Fincher, Fight Club
Paul Thomas Anderson, Boogie Nights and Magnolia
David 0. Russell, Three Kings
Spike Jonze, Being John Malkovich

With their movies, these directors let the moviemaking establishment know that there was a new vanguard ready to take over from the previous generation, and that they were ready to shatter the accepted constraints of filmmaking to do it. Their films toyed with form and narrative, shocked with their explicit sex and violence, and dizzied audiences with surreal themes and images. In making their films, the rebel directors fought their way through a studio system that by the 1990s had become part of America's larger corporate culture, conglomerates brutally focused on the bottom line and not inclined to take artistic risks.

Waxman, who conducted more than one hundred interviews with actors, producers, executives, and the six directors themselves, has written a provocative and insightful behind-the-scenes account, a glimpse at the clash between the studio culture and the rebel spirit of artists working within it.

meatball

The book sounds really interesting. I like all those directors, but I'd never thought of lumping them together in one group like that.

Find Your Magali

I think it's interesting that, in the writeup, PTA is the only one specifically mentioned for two films.

ono

Quote from: MeatballI like all those directors, but I'd never thought of lumping them together in one group like that.
Xixax did.  Well, 5 out of 6 ain't bad.

EDIT: I noticed that too, Magali.

meatball

Quote from: wantautopia?
Quote from: MeatballI like all those directors, but I'd never thought of lumping them together in one group like that.
Xixax did.  Well, 5 out of 6 ain't bad.

Okay. Whatever that means.

ono

First you ask me what it means, then you edit your post to be a bit more flippant about it.  Nice.  :yabbse-thumbup:  Better post again quick.  Don't want the mark of the beast hanging over your account too long.

meatball

Xixax did. Well, 5 out of 6 ain't bad.

So what do you by that, wantautopia??

:yabbse-thumbup:

ono

Quote from: MeatballSo what do you by that, wantautopia??

Oh!  So close!

meatball

Quote from: MeatballSo what do you by that, wantautopia??

Oh!  So close!

Never going to answer are you?

Find Your Magali

I got lost at "Mark of the Beast"  :saywhat:

meatball

Just humor him anyways. He gets a kick out of it.

cine

Quote from: MeatballJust humor him anyways. He gets a kick out of it.
jesus meathead, he's talking about our directors forums!!

5 out of 6 --we don't have a david o russell forum-- see? get it now? feel better?

didn't think you even needed somebody to explain that to you.

Satcho9

This book is gonna be really interesting to read...

I hope you all got a chance to read Sharon Waxmans articles on Dovid O Russel during the release of Huckabee's...clearly painting him to be an insane person....I cant wait to see her take on PTA.

Myxo

You too can own Paul Thomas Anderson's only essay which he wrote shortly before leaving college. This guy claims to have a copy of it. Better hurry! Only FIVE DAYS LEFT TO BID!

ono

PTA got into NYU, not Emerson (maybe he applied to Emerson, I don't know), and dropped out after a few days because some professor badmouthed Scorsese.  At least, that's what I've heard, so one of us is wrong.  Since I'm not trying to make money off of it, I'm betting it's him.  I also heard a story about him turning in something Mamet wrote and getting a C on it.  It's all a jumble.  The full story, whatever it is, would definitely be interesting.