About Schmidt----->DVD

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, June 03, 2003, 06:14:22 PM

Thecowgoooesmooo

I fucking love this movie.

The dvd is out. I picked it up.

It's the dvd I was looking forward to the most this summer and in my opinion, one of my fav movies for 2002. Transfer is great, deleted scenes are excellent! I wish they would have included some of them in there, like the resturant sequences.

Anyone else pick this excellent buy up today!?

chris

MacGuffin

$15 at Target! What a deal.

Being New Line, it's too bad this didn't get the Infinifilm treatment. What's missing is a commentary track. I love Payne's track on "Election"; one of the best commentaries ever. Would've been great to hear what he had to say about this one.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah i loved this movie too.  certainly top 10 for 2002.  saw it twice in theatres, picked up the dvd today. cant wait to watch it again.  the extras are pretty skimpy though, yeah i wouldve really liked a commentary for this one.  isnt the election commentary him talking about how he filmed in a "real school with real students" for 2 hours? i cant remember much else about it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Shit, I wish I'd known about that Target sale before mail-ordering....

Hopefully, my copy will arrive tomorrow.

Payne's commentary (along with some of the cast and crew) on Citizen Ruth is really interesting, too. I love his laid-back yet extremely intelligent way of speaking. He seems like a very cool guy.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

tpfkabi

i rented this today. i enjoyed it a lot.

it wasn't quite what i was expecting. i remember all the reviews talking about kathy bates a lot. i had the impression that the entire movie was about him dealing with the in-laws and trying to get his daughter to change his mind. i thought it was going to a more in-your-face type comedy. luckily it wasn't, and i was presently surprised.

but really.
was the k.b. and nicholson nudity really needed? i could've done without that.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SHAFTR

My problem with the movie (and only problem) is that the family of Kathy Bates is full of really stereotypical people...you would have thought there would have been more depth to those characters.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRMy problem with the movie (and only problem) is that the family of Kathy Bates is full of really stereotypical people...you would have thought there would have been more depth to those characters.

isnt that what middle america is like?  more stereotypical than say....the characters in Mallrats? or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SHAFTRMy problem with the movie (and only problem) is that the family of Kathy Bates is full of really stereotypical people...you would have thought there would have been more depth to those characters.

isnt that what middle america is like?  more stereotypical than say....the characters in Mallrats? or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

No, it isn't what Middle America is like.  Also, I don't think it is fair to compare Mallrats/J&SB Strike Back to About Schmidt.  About Schmidt is a drama first, comedy second; Mallrats and J&SB Strike Back are comedies, with drama not even fitting in there.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ernie

I definitely picked this up. It was weird, I didn't really know what to think of it the first time I saw it and then the more I thought about it the more I loved it...then I watched Election and absolutely knew for sure that I had to pick it up. It's a really cool movie. I think Dermot Mulroney steals it, he's so funny just looking at him and hearing his voice.

godardian

This is a persistent complaint about the film, but I personally think that Payne really avoids stereotyping people. Kathy Bates's family may be odd, but they certainly don't match any Midwestern stereotype I know of.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Royal Tenenbaum

"About Schmidt is a drama first, comedy second; Mallrats and J&SB Strike Back are comedies, with drama not even fitting in there."

I completely disagree with you. The film is a comdey; it may have dramatic elements, but it is a really really dry comedy. I find the film hysterical, I love it, and it's easily the best film of 2002.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Royal Tenenbaumit's easily the best film of 2002.

ahem...

i thought this was a pta message board!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Quote from: Royal Tenenbaum"About Schmidt is a drama first, comedy second; Mallrats and J&SB Strike Back are comedies, with drama not even fitting in there."

I completely disagree with you. The film is a comdey; it may have dramatic elements, but it is a really really dry comedy. I find the film hysterical, I love it.

i agree. i just didnt feel like arguing alone.

©brad

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Royal Tenenbaum"About Schmidt is a drama first, comedy second; Mallrats and J&SB Strike Back are comedies, with drama not even fitting in there."

I completely disagree with you. The film is a comdey; it may have dramatic elements, but it is a really really dry comedy. I find the film hysterical, I love it.

i agree. i just didnt feel like arguing alone.

u film geeks and ur arguing. why do movies have to be cubby-holed into separate sections at blockbuster? all movies are drama, first off, yes? can't about schmidt be a dramatic story with comedic and sentimental elements, along with a whole other shit? geez, dont we have anything better to argue about?

Yeah.. ask me a question about omaha... I live here...

Also.. anywhere you go there are "white trash".. but the stereotype wasn't the purpose of why they are like that...  Its more of an uncomfortable situation for Schmidt to be in...

And yes I actually was cast as an extra but didn't get to the phone in time :(
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"