Federico Fellini

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 01:58:36 PM

classical gas

Quote from: MacGuffinAnybody going to check out the new doc: "Fellini: I'm A Born Liar"?

[/size]

anyone seen it? i've been so tempted the last couple of weeks to get it...but i need some encouragement.

modage

Quote from: classical gas
Quote from: MacGuffinAnybody going to check out the new doc: "Fellini: I'm A Born Liar"?
anyone seen it? i've been so tempted the last couple of weeks to get it...but i need some encouragement.
c'mon buddy, you can do it.  just get out there and show em your stuff.  i believe in you.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

classical gas

:lol:

i guess i used the wrong word....anyone recommend this?

meatball

Is that a girl or a boy?

I saw it at the video store thinking she was really cute, but after reading some synopsi for the movie -- I'm not sure.

cine

Quote from: meatballIs that a girl or a boy?

I saw it at the video store thinking she was really cute, but after reading some synopsi for the movie -- I'm not sure.
That's a boy, pedophile.

pete

don't you mean "that's a boy, homosexual"?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

I thought I'd give meatball more credit and presume he's an adult.

meatball

Just to clarify, I thought the person was cute.
Puppies are cute. Kittens are cute.
I don't turn everything into an object of sexual desire.

tpfkabi

the La Dolce Vita DVD is released Tuesday:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=KCH003012

for some reason i thought this was released earlier.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

yeah, it was originally set to come out a few weeks ago (the 7th i believe), but got delayed slightly although i'm not sure why.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I saw Fellini Satyricon tonight on the big screen -- and while I can imagine not liking it at all watching it at home, seeing it in the theater was  a sort of magical nightmarish experience. I have only the most scant clue what it's actually about or what's going on from scene to scene, but I could tell there was something going on behind what was on screen. If I had seen this without knowing what it was or who directed it, I'd never have guessed it was Fellini -- there were so few of his signature touches. It felt more like Jodorowsky (and it also reminded me a great deal of the film within a film from Contempt), and there were a huge number of elements I noticed that must have influenced other directors -- most notably and obviously Julie Taymour, but also possibly Lynch and Matthew Barney, and there were even some Star Wars-ish elements to it here and there.

Overall -- highly recommended, but ONLY on the big screen.

Alethia

yeah i definitly fucking hated it when i saw it at home...i did give it a second chance however and now i only sorta kinda like it in that i dont really wanna see it again but i think about it alot way

MacGuffin

Final 'Journey'
Lost Fellini project will finally be filmed -- The ''8 1/2'' director's last unfinished project, ''Journey to Tulum,'' is being revived Source: Entertainment Weekly

As any viewer of 8 1/2 can attest, Federico Fellini thrived on turning self-indulgent fantasy into cinematic genius.

Now the Italian director will embark on one last trip. Just as Stanley Kubrick's A.I. was realized posthumously by Steven Spielberg, Fellini's never-filmed project Journey to Tulum is being revived by producers Michel Shane and Anthony Romano (I, Robot), who stumbled upon it during a visit to Italy.

Before he died in 1993, Fellini teamed with frequent collaborator Tullio Pinelli on a long outline for Tulum, a movie based on his trippy 1980s visit to Mexico, where bizarre, paranormal events supposedly occurred as he researched the magical lore of the Aztecs. Shane is hoping to attract backing for the movie, which will be in English, from an indie company; Marco Bartoloccioni — who helped rediscover the outline a few years ago — is directing. ''It'll be completely far-out, but it won't be an art-house ride,'' Shane says. ''I think we'll do it as an homage to Fellini in the Fellini style, but accessibly.''

So why didn't Fellini ever make the movie himself? ''Rumor has it,'' says Shane, ''that shamans at the time contacted him and told him that he shouldn't do it because bad things would befall him.'' Hmm, perhaps reviving Tulum doesn't seem like such a good call. ''Am I worried at all?'' Shane laughs. ''No one's told me not to make the movie.''
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Nothing good can come of this.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Shane
''It'll be completely far-out, but it won't be an art-house ride,'' Shane says. ''I think we'll do it as an homage to Fellini in the Fellini style, but accessibly.''

I don't know which part of that pains me the most.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye