The Killing

Started by RegularKarate, April 04, 2011, 02:05:51 PM

RegularKarate

We might as well start talking about it.
I saw it last night at the Drafthouse and I'm reasonably hooked.
It takes its time and doesn't jump from murder to clue to catching the criminal like most procedurals.  There were a couple of moments that I felt took a step too far into the sappy territory, but I still really liked the characters and the pacing.  It's patient intriguing like Rubicon without the complicated layering (not that I even finished the first season of Rubicon).

Fernando

:yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup:

glad someone else watched, im already hooked too and intrigued where are they going with this, i mean solving the murder in its 1st season (if they even plan to make a 2nd) or keeping the mystery for as long as they can...

I like the writing too, its no the wire (yet) but pretty solid. I already hate a character, the supposedly ex-boyfriend jasper, that guy is the biggest douche.

modage

Yeah I watched the 2nd hour the other night, it definitely helps draw you in. The first hour alone wasn't quite enough. I'm not super hooked but it has potential.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

I Love a Magician

i enjoyed it quite a bit, but with reservations. the only character i'm really feeling beyond the stereotype of cop/grieving parent/politician is holder, the partner. my main fear is that this will be a typical murder mystery stretched out with the "boring" parts included. i'm interested to see what they've got in mind as far as continuing it past the first season.

Reel

everyone has gotta be thinking of Twin peaks watching this, but I'd like another one of those type of shows!!  Still will never top it though.

polkablues

Note to the sound designers: there are no cicadas in the Pacific Northwest.  Knock that shit off.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SiliasRuby

This is really quite good. I loved it to death. Of course I'm not dead right now. Little drunk and really happy. This has shades of 'twin peaks' and not just because its set in the same Pacific Northwest. Really in depth character and it has huge promise.

Hyperbole Man OUT bitches!
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Tictacbk

polkablues

It seems I'm the only person in the world who actually liked that ending. Since when was a cliffhanger such a cause for outrage?
My house, my rules, my coffee

SiliasRuby

LOST, anybody? I just wonder how many seasons they can spread this out. 3, maybe? I don't know. I kind of was 'eh' on the season finale.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

diggler

I stopped caring around the 4th episode, did it get any better?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

socketlevel

Quote from: ddiggler on June 21, 2011, 09:02:16 AM

same for me.
the one last hit that spent you...

RegularKarate

Quote from: ddiggler on June 21, 2011, 09:02:16 AM

Yes, then it got worse again (then better, then worse again)

MILD SPOILERS

Quote from: polkablues on June 21, 2011, 02:00:59 AM
It seems I'm the only person in the world who actually liked that ending. Since when was a cliffhanger such a cause for outrage?

I know most people were mad because we were promised that one season = one case.  This means the case should be solved in the one season.

I think my biggest problem was that it didn't deserve a cliffhanger.  The show keeps making reveals that go completely against character.  It's one thing to keep making everyone seem suspicious so anyone could be a baddie, but just making a character turn bad on a dime to keep up with the plot twists is boring.

For a show that wants to break the cliches of a Law & Order type show, this show sure did rely on a lot of Law & Order cliches.  I was up and down throughout the season and the finale left me on a definite down.

Pozer

i couldnt stand gumchewing frowny McGee so i too, tuned out early on.

also the show turned terrible quick. i'm talking Heroes terrible.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pozer on June 21, 2011, 11:52:17 AM
also the show turned terrible quick. i'm talking Heroes terrible.

it never got THAT bad.