i started a film club

Started by JG, December 08, 2005, 08:18:07 PM

JG

So tonight I showed the 400 Blows at my school.  I started this club called film team, and the idea is to expose kids to great movies that they'd probably never see--mainly classic foreign movies.  400 blows was the first one we showed. next week is la strada (my personal favorite of fellini)

we projected the criterion version and it looked great.   kids that i would have never thought really liked it. 

modage

sounds cool, (the name needs some work though).  what was the turnout like?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

i seriously thought about trying to start something like this at MTSU, but never got around to it.
my first film would have been Vertigo, as it is my favorite film.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 08, 2005, 08:18:07 PM
So tonight I showed the 400 Blows at my school.  I started this club called film team, and the idea is to expose kids to great movies that they'd probably never see--mainly classic foreign movies.  400 blows was the first one we showed. next week is la strada (my personal favorite of fellini)

we projected the criterion version and it looked great.   kids that i would have never thought really liked it. 
very cool, but try to make the next one a colour film.
under the paving stones.

JG

Quote from: Pubrick on December 08, 2005, 11:22:38 PM
Quote from: JimmyGator on December 08, 2005, 08:18:07 PM

why's that

tpfkabi

what age group is this for?
if college, The Graduate, may be a good choice.
too, i don't know if you're allowed to show R rated movies or if they're are any stipulations as far as content.
if high school w/no stipulations, Rushmore may be a good one.

Pubrick

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 09, 2005, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: Pubrick on December 08, 2005, 11:22:38 PM
why's that
for variation. there's plenty of good colour foreign films. you said so yourself that you were surprised the other kids liked the 400 blows, and next your playing La Strada.. why push your luck? give them the pretentiousness of foreign film with the spectacle of colour once in a while and the numbers won't dwindle.

Quote from: bigideas on December 09, 2005, 10:01:51 PM
he said "mainly classic foreign movies."
under the paving stones.

JG

Quote from: Pubrick on December 12, 2005, 09:41:24 PM

Quote from: bigideas on December 09, 2005, 10:01:51 PM
he said "mainly classic foreign movies."

not to mention that a movie like rushmore is what i'm trying to move away from.  kids think if they know wes anderson, they know good directors.  they think if they've seen pulp fiction, they've seen an old movie, a classic.   

don't get me wrong, i love rushmore (the only wes anderson film i love), but a lot of these kids have seen wes anderson.   

modage

so take a movie that these kids know/love and trace its roots/inspirations backwards showing movies made 30 or 50 years before that were doing some of the same things these kids thought were new.  it'll blow minds.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

well what our idea is is for the first few movies we're gonna kind tour around the world and teach the kiddies that movies can be art.

week 1--france, 400 blows
2 -- italy, la strada
3 -- sweden, some bergman
4 -- japan, some kurosowa
5 -- germany, metropolis (this is like a double whammy)

etc. 

at first we just wanna expose these kids to the foreign classics.   i already had a couple kids who would have never thought of watching a foreign movie (because the subtitles make it hard to follow) said that they're now gonna go out and rent other truffaut.  kids genuinely appreciated it.   i'm not gonna lie though, a couple kids laughed at the end of 400 blows.  but they were kids who took french class and were only there cause they're french teacher was offering extra credit.   i had to explain my interpretation of what the ending "meant" to a few kids as well. 

400 blows is the perfect transition movie.  not too much talking.  not too dense.  and it's just really warm and hard to hate. 

modage, for a bunch of kids that like wes anderson, what would you recomend. 

Pubrick

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 13, 2005, 08:44:06 PM
the kiddies
these kids
a couple kids
kids
a couple kids
but they were kids
a few kids
a bunch of kids
aren't they the same age as you? i called them kids because i can.

and at least play Fanny and Alexander when doing bergman.
under the paving stones.

JG

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 13, 2005, 08:44:06 PM
the kiddies peeries
these kids peers
a couple kids peers
kids peers
a couple kids peers
but they were kids peers
a few kids peers
a bunch of kids peers

fixed

killafilm

I'd go with some Hal Ashby (Harold and Maude) or possibly Polanski cause there are plenty of 20ish year olds who have never seen

I think it might be easier to break them in with some American classics.

tpfkabi

i'm not mod, but since you said "mostly" foreign films, when you get done with the foreign only kick The Graduate would be perfect for people that like Wes Anderson since WA admitted he feels like he's ripping it off all the time.

context, context, context.