Not-so-Classics, classics.

Started by Kev Hoffman, April 25, 2003, 12:07:26 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetYou should get into this argumentive mode some more. I feel like you are holding back in responding these days in a lot of posts.

:?  .... give me the links and I guess I can try.....

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetNow, onto what I considered overrated classics, the most obvious for me is the Star Wars Trilogy. The effects for it were great, but much has dated.

I think Star Wars (first three, anyway) has rightful place as the king of all cheesy mythological sci-fi film. I like it.

Gold Trumpet

You're assessment of Star Wars is better than what most fans are willing to say. Either way, it appeals on cult level. You either are on the train or not.

And also, I guess it is a general feeling of you holding back than anything.

~rougerum

ShanghaiOrange

The people who like Star Wars the most now are the people who saw it as preteens.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

sexEdnorton

The best movie ever was Primal Fear.  You know I fooled you all by the end.  Cause i'm just that damn good.

But the best classic is Fight Club.  Oh man, when i punched myself in the face, it felt so bad.  I was swallowing blood for days afterwards.  My wife thought i was an open sore.

Alethia

snaporaz

Quote from: ewardfight club is overrated

you're probably right, but i still think it's fucking brilliant.

Alethia

i think the first forty-five minutes are brilliant, then it just turns into shit

Duck Sauce

fightclub is entertaining

Alethia

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: ewardi think the first forty-five minutes are brilliant, then it just turns into shit

I don't know, I think the whole film is hypocritical of itself in many ways. Perhaps there lies the brilliance.. Here's what I can think of right now

*It deals with anti-commercial and capitalist issues, yet it had a huge budget, campaign, memorabilia, blah blah etc..

*Ed Norton escapes the repetitive, nihilistic, lemming lifestyle of a corporate executive only to end up as a repetitive, nihilistic, lemming. Seems like he becomes exactly what he was escaping throughout the first half.

What is Fight Club trying to say? Perhaps its message is just as responsible as Ronald McDonald teaching kids McDonalds propaganda?

Sleuth

You wouldn't understand because you're a corporate whore for BK
I like to hug dogs

MrBurgerKing

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: ewardi think the first forty-five minutes are brilliant, then it just turns into shit

I agree with you 90%. For me, the first hour  or 55 mins is brilliant, then it turns to shit.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck Sauce

fightclub is entertaining

Fight Club is, at heart, a love story.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks