City of God

Started by budgie, January 09, 2003, 01:43:15 PM

lamas

Can anyone confirm this?  It was taken from an IMDB message board.

According to www.folha.com.br, City of God will have a worlwide re-release in the end of 2003, hoping to run for the 2004 Oscar. That will be possible since, for the Americans, it is a 2003 movie, because it was released in the U.S. last January.

The site said Miramax thinks that City of God not running for the 2003 Oscar was "the biggest injustice in the history of the Academy".

Read the news (in Portuguese) here:

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/ilustrada/ult90u33520.shtml

p.s. It will be released in DVD - in Brazil only - this June.

MacGuffin

Confirmed, which will probably delay the DVD release:

Rerelease Note: (5/18/03) Talking to "The Hollywood Reporter" this week at Cannes, Harvey Weinstein of Miramax revealed that he plans on rereleasing this movie in December, 2003 so that it can be considered for the Academy Awards again (in all categories except Foreign Language, since its chance in that category was last year).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cecil

does this mean that the film will be elligible for a xixaxie this year?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cecil b. dementeddoes this mean that the film will be elligible for a xixaxie this year?

I would say yes, especially because it wasn't last year. One person had seen it by Xixax Awards time.

Vile5

It's incredible but you guys have watched this movie and you are so far away from Brazil, but this movie has not been distributed here in Southamerica!!! and i can't watch it snif snif :cry:
and that's a great problem in Latinamerica we don't appraise our cinema as we must
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

dufresne

Quote from: lamas
The site said Miramax thinks that City of God not running for the 2003 Oscar was "the biggest injustice in the history of the Academy".

i thought the reason for this was explained thoroughly, and accepted by everybody.  geez.
There are shadows in life, baby.

Jake_82

Just watched this on my computer today, I really wish I could have seen it on the big screen... I hope Miramax still plans to do a re-release near Oscar season, it seems like such a theatrical movie. I was impressed by it... it's a great achievement in filmmaking, probably the best of the decade so far. But there were a few things that were left to be desired... (SPOILERS) the ending didn't feel like it wrapped up much about the narrator. It sort of felt like they just said, "alright, the movie's over, and, uh, yeah, now the narrator has a job at the newspaper, so... the end." I realize the movie was more about the slum itself, and not really the narrarator but it felt like it shifted focus a couple of times. And what about the girl he was on the beach with? She was with the hip hoodlum guy, but then what happened to her? (note my inability to remember character's names)

So the basic problem was that the movie seemed to be about the slums, but sometimes it seemed like it was about the characters themselves, and then it would flip back to the general picture sort of thing, and leave the viewer at a loss. But overall I thought it was fantastic. I think I might like it better if I see it in a theater or at least on DVD because the compression wasn't so great on the file I had.
your reality is at the end of your dream

MacGuffin

City of God: Extended Edition: Revista de Cinema reports that Director Fernando Meirelles is preparing a special version of his acclaimed "City of God" to be broadcast as a four-part mini-series on Brazilian television in 2004. The mini-series will incorporate scenes not used for the theatrical release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

argh! tricked. i thought for sure, the dvd release had been announced since the topic alive again! damnit. the fucking thing came out 8 months ago, and they havent even announced the release date yet. this is torture.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02argh! tricked. i thought for sure, the dvd release had been announced since the topic alive again! damnit. the fucking thing came out 8 months ago, and they havent even announced the release date yet. this is torture.

With the Oscar push later this year, you can probably plan that the DVD won't be out till next year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Lund Directing "Lil' Romeo and Lil' Juliet"
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

"City of God" co-director Katia Lund has been tapped by MGM and Artists Production Group to direct the Lil' Romeo-starrer "Lil' Romeo and Lil' Juliet".

Originally set up as a pitch, the project is a teenage/hip-hop take on Shakespeare's classic "Romeo and Juliet", with the violence in the original tale expressed through music and dance. Lund is expected to take a serious approach to the material, with a realistic approach to the gang lifestyle, much like her work in "City of God".

Dallas Jackson penned the screenplay, with another writer expected to board the project shortly to do a rewrite.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

cool, "Lil' Romeo Must Die."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

lamas

so what's the deal with City of God?  does anyone know if it's gonna be rereleased during the end of the year or not?  i just checked imdb and there's no word on another release.  i also haven't read anything about a rerelease in the fall preview issues of premiere or entertainment weekly.

Finn

This movie is still playing in theaters! I saw it back in March in Dallas. While I was in the theater, I could have sworn that a guy who looked just like PTA was in front of me. I was sitting right behind him and basically just looked at him throughout the whole movie. When the movie was over and the lights went up, I saw the man get up and I got a quick look at his face. It wasn't him...but it was close!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."