Does It Get To You?

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, March 11, 2004, 04:29:03 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

When you're reading what someone says with a heavy negative context on Xixax, does it ever bother you?  Sometimes it can bother me, sometimes not.  I suppose it depends on the person, and I know that context is difficult to decipher as you are reading things online.  

But do you ever find yourself pissed off at someone's sarcasm?  Mostly, it doesn't get to me.  But sometimes it will be just enough to set me off and put me in a temporary bad mood to want to reply with an insult.  Generally, I do, but that only perpetuates the problem.

I've butted heads with several individuals and posts later only found myself wasting space in a thread with insults.  I apologize to those that have created serious topics, and they feel victim to my negativity.  

I like Xixax when it's a positive place to be.  It's not only just fun to post in, but also a nice way to transfer intellectual conversations.

Them's my thoughts.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ghostboy

Hey, congrats on the great avatar!

SoNowThen

I can get pretty worked up sometimes because of the board, but I find here, as opposed to other boards (barring the extreme political divisions) we usually find some kind of meeting point.

The abundance of humor here helps a lot. Some boards demand you type "f***" for fuck, which, I'm sure we can all agree, is fucking stupid.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Duck Sauce

Quote from: SoNowThenI can get pretty worked up sometimes because of the board, but I find here, as opposed to other boards (barring the extreme political divisions) we usually find some kind of meeting point.

The abundance of humor here helps a lot. Some boards demand you type "f***" for fuck, which, I'm sure we can all agree, is fucking stupid.

The political thing will never be resolved. But I do get tired of all of us being so cruel and negative in every post. But sometimes its hard to say something nice, especially when it usually sounds cliche.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I realize the necessity of being sarcastic, I do it all the time.  But sometimes, and I'm not exempt to this, the negativity gets out of hand.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI realize the necessity of being sarcastic, I do it all the time.  But sometimes, and I'm not exempt to this, the negativity gets out of hand.

YOU SUCK!
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

bonanzataz

i'm sorry, were you saying something?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ono

Supposedly, one way guys show affection for and bond with each other is by insulting each other.  Assholes.

Seriously, though, sarcasm sometimes is tough to read on the Interweb, but I find that most of the time, it's best to assume someone is joking and let it roll off your back if you're not sure.
Quote from: SoNowThenSome boards demand you type "f***" for fuck, which, I'm sure we can all agree, is fucking stupid.
Hey, f*** you, man, I f*** you up!  You pull any of your crazy s*** with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your *** and pull the f***ing trigger 'til it goes "click."  (J***s.)  You said it, man!  No one f***s with the J***s!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Nothing like a Big Lebowski reference used in any context.  :lol:

cine

In short,  threads like this get to me.

Ghostboy

Threads likes this are negated by the banner at the top that says 98% sarcasm. Everyone knows what they're in for.

NEON MERCURY

here is a parable that helps explain my thought on this thread:

The Monkey and the Apple: Isaac Newton's Persistence ver. 1

.a while back i got bored.i was tiresd of the same sh*t that was going on in my life..to much decaying flesh on my windshield..so rather than using the wipers i grabbed a towel  and rubbed it off.this would suffice any feeling of boredom i thought.but life's not so easy.......

after watching tv, ironing my clothes, celebrating photosyntheseis (sex-plants).........i began to wonder "where would charles darwin have a birthday?".ohh, the ZoO....and off into my car...i decided to listen to lou reed..his music is quite interesting.....especially lyrically.take for instance his song "The Blue Mask"...(sample lyrics)   i get a thrill from punishment....luxuriate in pain...make the sacrifice..mutilate my face...pushing pins into my nipples.take the blue mask off my face and LOOK me in the eye.......as you can see/read...its quite a ..___________(insert adjective)..................

at the ZoO.i saw many of species.bears, parrots, snakes.........but nothing affedted me.i still didn't give a sh*t.i became so bored i started to look at the people looking at the animals....their expressions are phucke up....and that help my curiousity until ii meet my match.........THE MONKEY....i looked at this creature and wonmdered:

1.) the zoOkeepers managing of the further procreation of the monkey
2.) tossing my belongings over the fence and become a liqiud tonic for the ape
3.) "sunsets over monkeys"---a painting that could inspire me....

...while staring at the monkey i noticed in his left hand a shiney red apple. i looked at it .and gave it a wicked grin(the kind of grin that you make if you see someone drop a $50 bill and you wait long enough for them to walk by hoping that he/she wuill not notice it and you pick it up).i gave it a "sarcastic" grin you copuld say........then BOOM.he threw the apple at my phucking face.....and i fell.down -hard .peopel rushed, i cried, Newton was right........chalk it up for Isaac........his laws never get beat.........

DOES IT GET TO ME YOU ASK?????...........

phuck yes............

godardian

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: SoNowThenI can get pretty worked up sometimes because of the board, but I find here, as opposed to other boards (barring the extreme political divisions) we usually find some kind of meeting point.

The political thing will never be resolved. But I do get tired of all of us being so cruel and negative in every post. But sometimes its hard to say something nice, especially when it usually sounds cliche.

One thing that's helpful to remember is that strong political feeling comes from strong personal feeling; some of us here have had life experiences which have shown us rather unequivocally that the personal is, indeed, the political; we don't necessarily have the luxury of easily compartmentalizing the political away from everything else. Who you vote for, communicating with your elected officials, supporting organizations, etc. is only a very small part of politics. There is also the much deeper and more indicative everyday political dimension; how you behave and the choices you make reflecting your convictions (or absence thereof) regarding ways we human beings can treat each other to preclude as much suffering, misunderstanding, and chaos as possible.

All that being said, I hate the hostility that comes from the disagreements over such things. But Duck Sauce is right; it will probably never be resolved. And to quote an old political slogan, "Silence=death," which is why I'm never skittish about sharing my view; this is the strongest way in which I'm an American.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: CinephileIn short,  threads like this get to me.

You don't have to post negatively all the time.  This thread, I was hoping would be devoid of it, but if you feel you need to be, if you feel you have a quota of saying things to piss people off, then go on ahead.