Film Recommendations

Started by SHAFTR, February 11, 2003, 10:36:28 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Hedwighe wanted pre-1990. :(

"Die Hard"
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: Reinhold Messneri didn't even read page 1 before i posted. i just went by the title.
yeah, maybe u should read the first page of a thread before u post in it, whether it's old and useless like this one, or a currently active one.

there's no point to this.
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

Quote from: Hedwighe wanted pre-1990. :(

Quote from: SHAFTREDIT:  Changed Post to Pre.
Last edited by SHAFTR on Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

hedwig

Quote from: SHAFTRpre-1990

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:41 pm

im gonna start giving yall an obscure recommendation every couple of days or so unless anyone is opposed.

The Dead Mother (La Madre Muerta) by Juanma Bajo Ulloa

a young girl witnesses her mothers death during a robbery and reconnects with the killer later in life.
a beautiful gem long forgotten. pretty dark at times but visually playful and engaging. i recommend to all but mainly to people who like Almodovar and Jeunet.

Frederico Fellini

I'm definitely gonna spend some time in this thread. Love it when people recommend stuff I probably would've never seen otherwise.

Now my turn. I've been on my bukowski shit for the past couple weeks, 2 nights ago I watch a Belgian film based on some of his writing:

It's pretty much about a kid (and later on a man) just looking for love. The movie looks like a fantasy film but it's actually one, if not the most realistic outlook on "love" I've ever seen. It's heartbreaking as fuck. Well shot, the acting is superb and it's well written.  As a whole I can't even compare it to any other film, though there were certain parts that reminded me a bit of Eyes Wide Shut, The Man without a Past and The Master.  It's a rare movie but I definitely recommend watching it if you can get a hold of a copy with english subs (The whole movie is on youtube but sadly only with spanish subtitles).

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

yeah crazy love is a pretty powerful and disturbing movie. one of my favorites for sure.

*THREADREVIVE*

Resolution, 2012, by Justin Benson.

whoa. this shit was heavy. very impressive psychological stuff. premise is fairly original, performances are fluid, surprisingly funny while still being pretty dark.
edit: realized i didnt actually say anything about the film haha.

this guy goes to try and get his best friend off of meth, so he goes to his house in the middle of the woods and basically holds him hostage as an intervention. then shit starts getting weird. various outside forces start threatening them in a confusing and mysterious way. they discover old film reels that didnt exist before. random objects appear. it pulls off spooky surprisingly well.
CHECK IT OWT MANG

so i've been finding a few movies lately that are better earlier versions of current or upcoming ones (see elysium thread) and this is definitely one of my favorites.

Burning Palms by Christopher Landon (2010)

this is basically movie 43, but good. really good. its a little anthology film with a bunch of solid actors all dealing with pretty fucked up stuff. they go for the shock in a much more subtle and intelligent way than the aforementioned. its five different stories all loosely connected and it's very fun to watch. it stays funny and gross throughout.

pete

along the same vein, I'll recommend "The Kings of Summer" as the summer comedian-studded coming-of-age indie counter programming, which is way better than "The Way Way Back", which seems almost paint by the numbers by comparison.

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

when kings of summer first played in la -- i think this will help growing interest, along with its award -- it was double-billed with stand by me and then the goonies

Gold Trumpet

No idea where else to put this since I don't think it deserved its own thread, but anyways...

I do have a new blog going. I abandoned the last one because it was without structure, and more importantly, without much updates. Instead of abide by anything which would force me to write and think about movies, I just kept rain-checking the idea of writing about movies until a later date. Also, like most of you, my chance to obsess about movies is gone. Keeping up with work and bills is the bullshit I get to occupy most of my time with.

Thing is, lots of people around me are trading in their hobbies for adult things. Like Sam Kinison complaining about marriage getting him to worry about his lawn, I'm fighting the new responsibility of work and obligations completely taking over my life. So, I devised a plan to write one weekly column about movies - could be a review of a new film, an old one, or whatever. Inspiration is Christopher Hitchens old weekly Slate column. It felt both timely and personal. Trying to occupy the same space. One thing I will do is every month (exception two months of the year) is I will choose a film I consider to be great. Basically want 10 films to parade around every year.

Yes, I'm promoting on here, but since I roughly carved out an education on film here and filled it with some opinions that when I look back on now, I sincerely wonder what the fuck I was thinking, I figured a part of my continued film interest/education will always have to be here. I chime in less these days, but I definitely enjoy reading the remarks and contributing what I can when I feel I actually can..

Anyways....http://filmicfragments.com/

(New column up every Friday. Every week is subject to possible day or so delay depending upon how busy I am.)

P.S. Columns will not be ambitious in length. Generally around 1,000 to 1,500 words per. Maybe a bigger column idea will have to be two parts. Eh, who knows?

Pubrick

glad you're still alive and writing about film.

i skimmed the blog and picked up some recommendations so i guess this thread was appropriate.

had never heard of that LaBute film with the OC dude. also made me want to rewatch 8 1/2.

thanks for sharing.
under the paving stones.

Robyn

I would love some recommendations on low-key dramas similar to You can count on me and maybe The Shape of Things, preferably from the beginning of the 00s. They are so comforting to watch for some reason.

You can count on me are also the perfect film to watch before going to sleep. It might be the Mark Ruffalo effect. I would much rather watch a film if Ruffalo is in it, and I haven't decided if it's a gay-crush yet or if it's one of those manly dude-crushes you have on someone like Marlon Brandon, but he's weirdly great, right? Right!?

Anyway..

Lottery

I can't say I've seen those so my rec may be a bit off, but the great master of low-key drama is Koreeda.
Shillin' my thread below.
http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=12808.0

Still Walking and Nobody Knows are good starting points.

Robyn

Oh, yeah. I was going to watch these years ago, but never did for some reason. Thanks.