the pledge.

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 07, 2004, 10:39:31 PM

NEON MERCURY

>i watched this last night for the first time in about 2 years...and it still rocks..i am not familiar w/ sean penns other directorial works [ :?: the crossing guard...and ?carlitos way??]......but this is something..first the cast ...even in small roles its really engrossing....and you remeber each one.....of corse del toros role is the "biggest" of the small roles.and he eats it up...but i totally forgot that v.redgrave, rourke, and h.d. stanton were in this flick...w/ a cast that includes helen mirren, nicholson, r.w.penn, patricia clarkson, and aaron ekhart [who is underrated]........but there maybe more that i am forgetting but....i think the film takes the typical murder mystery and rides it on  a different wavelenght then the typical sh*t of this genre......i like the films slow pace ....and the music/score is just beautiful...itys very depressing yet enjoyable....maybe not  worth a thread about....but i am interested in what you guys think about it since i enjoyed it so much....its easier this way rather than i PM everyone and ask them......

MacGuffin

Quote from: On July 27, 2003, in the Jack Motherfucking Nicholson thread, MacGuffinJust watched "The Pledge" last night, and damn does Jack Muthafuckin' Nicholson command the screen in that role. It's like the dark side of Warren Schmidt.

The film, by the way, foregoes the normal 'cop out to find the killer' story line that starts off the first act and quickly becomes a brilliant character study.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I love this movie. Here's the review I wrote back when it came out.

Myxo

Huge fan of this film too.

I firmly believe it's one of Nicholson's finest works. God..

THE ENDING! The look on his face along with his mannerisms.. just.. perfect..

matt35mm

Thank you very much for reminding me to rent this.  I've really wanted to see it for a long time but just totally forgot about it.  It'll be in the mail before the day is over!