The Girl Next Door

Started by Film Student, February 02, 2004, 06:56:03 PM

Ghostboy

In the UK trailer, no. In the movie, yes (from reviews I've read), although apparently it was shot in a way that leaves open the possibility of a body double.

Banky

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Bankyi heard that the nudity is in a good John Hughes kind of way and not in a teen gross out comedy kind of way

Quote from: BankyJoblo's review said that the movie itself was more of a John Hughes teen sex comedy

:yabbse-huh:  What John Hughes movies are these people watching? Nudity is non-existant in a Hughes film, and it's not like "Sixteen Candles" or "Weird Science" is "Porkys" or "Losin' It."

thats why i restated.  It can still be a teen sex comedy without nudity.

for GB and Mac

Quote from: JobloI saw THE GIRL NEXT DOOR a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The film had its problems (it ran a little too long and had some odd-feeling scenarios interlaced within all the comedy), but it took me right back to the 80s "teen comedies" and even more specifically, the wonderful John Hughes numbers. And yes, for all who wondered...the film does feature nudity, but nowhere near as much as EUROTRIP or as gratuitous. The gorgeous lead, however, Elisha Cuthbert, doesn't go nudie, but does convey the perfect sweet, stunning, smart and sexy prize in the film, a la Kelly LeBrock in WEIRD SCIENCE.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Bankythats why i restated.  It can still be a teen sex comedy without nudity.

Notice:

Quote from: Joblobut it took me right back to the 80s "teen comedies" and even more specifically, the wonderful John Hughes numbers.

He didn't use "sex" in his description of the John Hughes comparison. That's why I stated that Hughes movies are not "teen sex comedies" like "Porky's".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

ugh... john hughes movies... that's what people watch when they're trying to be retro and cool. i hate those movies. except for ferris bueller's day off. that's just plain funny no matter who you are.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

pete

I'm in LA right now at some kinda resort for people trying to break in (oakwood something?) and I guess the kid from the movie stays here too.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

bonanzataz

haha. oakwood. that place is for divorcees who've moved out of their houses, struggling child actors, and kids who are doing the nyfa program. i was number three two summers ago. at one point, and i don't know how this happened, i was hanging out with kyle from moolah beach (survivor for teenagers) and a bunch of other actors comparing their resumes.

"well, i was in moolah beach. that was a great start for my acting career."
"i was in a kraft mac and cheese commercial. i had to eat SOOO much mac and cheese. it was crazy."
"i got a callback for a tang commercial. i hope i get it."

it was ridiculous. and that's all i have to say.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

pete

yeah I'm here visiting my friend at the Emerson film program.  this place is so lame.  getting checked out by old ladies at the pool is kinda fun though I guess.
hope you're off to better places doing better things right now.

Quote from: taz.haha. oakwood. that place is for divorcees who've moved out of their houses, struggling child actors, and kids who are doing the nyfa program. i was number three two summers ago. at one point, and i don't know how this happened, i was hanging out with kyle from moolah beach (survivor for teenagers) and a bunch of other actors comparing their resumes.

"well, i was in moolah beach. that was a great start for my acting career."
"i was in a kraft mac and cheese commercial. i had to eat SOOO much mac and cheese. it was crazy."
"i got a callback for a tang commercial. i hope i get it."

it was ridiculous. and that's all i have to say.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

I thought this movie was pretty great...pretty much everything I hoped for...except for the lame ending...it was a very very good teen romantic comedy...very good sountrack...didn't feel that they didn't deserve to use some of those great songs...Elish Cuthbert is wholesomely sexy...very nice.

ono

What the name of the song that's playing on the TV commercial?  Thanks.

I don't know about actually seeing this movie.  It looks like it'd be fun, and I like Elisha Cuthbert, but the problem with most Hollywood flicks these days is they lack even a modicum of subtlety.  Seems like a lot of 'em are ripe with decent premises, but they overplay them, and it seems like this movie is guilty of that.  This is probably because execs think the viewing audience is stupid, and they have to beat jokes to a pulp to get them to sink in.

modage

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaWhat the name of the song that's playing on the TV commercial?  Thanks.
if its in the same commercials i've been seeing (constantly) it's The Darkness "I Believe In A Thing Called Love".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

on All Movie Guide it said that she was on Are You Afraid of the Dark?
i wonder if she was the one i always thought was hot?

how does she do on 24?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Banky

"The film stars Emile Hirsch as Matthew Kidman. (Please tell me the "Kidman" is not an oblique reference to Nicole Kidman and therefore to Tom Cruise and therefore to "Risky Business," the film this one so desperately wants to resemble.)"
                                                               -Ebert

Man ebert gave it half a star which is very supprising seeing how well rt.com received it.

Ravi

Quote from: Banky"The film stars Emile Hirsch as Matthew Kidman. (Please tell me the "Kidman" is not an oblique reference to Nicole Kidman and therefore to Tom Cruise and therefore to "Risky Business," the film this one so desperately wants to resemble.)"
                                                               -Ebert

Man ebert gave it half a star which is very supprising seeing how well rt.com received it.

It got 61%, which isn't too great.  Ebert and Rotten Tomatoes aren't necessarily correlated.  He gave "Catch That Kid" 3 stars and it got 11% on RT.

Chest Rockwell

Saw this yesterday. I actually really liked it. I laughed wholesomely throughout the movie, and I personally think it's the best 'teeny-bopper' movie I've seen, though I can't really say it's a 'teeny-bopper'. Despite following some of the formulas (such as the classic 'straight-man accompanied by a few oddballs'), I thought for the most part it broke more than a few boundaries as far the genre goes. And the acting was pretty nice, too; Elisha Cuthbert was fantastic, but I probably say that mainly because she's quite hot.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellElisha Cuthbert was fantastic, but I probably say that mainly because she's quite hot.

Apparently that's all actresses are good for nowadays.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks