Secret Window

Started by MacGuffin, January 13, 2004, 03:22:15 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: April 23rd, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Johnny Depp (Mort Rainey), John Turturro (John Shooter), Maria Bello (Amy Dowd Rainey), Charles S. Dutton, Timothy Hutton.

Director: David Koepp (Stir of Echoes, The Trigger Effect)

Screenwriter: David Koepp (Spider-Man, Panic Room, Stir of Echoes, Snake Eyes, Carlito's Way)

Based Upon: This movie is based upon the novella 'Secret Window, Secret Garden' by Stephen King, which originally appeared as the second story in his anthology of four novellas appropriately titled 'Four Past Midnight.' The first novella in that book, The Langoliers, has already been adapted as a 1995 made-for-TV movie. The other two novellas are 'The Library Policeman' and 'The Sun Dog.' This story has also since been published separately as 'Two Past Midnight: Secret Window, Secret Garden.' None of this should be confused with 'Secret Windows,' an anthology of essays also written by Stephen King.

Premise: Mort Rainey (Depp), a writer just coming off of a troublesome divorce with his ex-wife, Amy (Bello), finds himself stalked at his remote lake house by a psychotic stranger (Turturro) who claims Mort stole his best story idea (changing just the ending)... (Hutton plays Bello's new boyfriend; Dutton plays a private investigator hired to make Turturro's character leave Mort alone.)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

I've heard Stir of Echoes is much better than it looks and worth giving a try. True? False?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianI've heard Stir of Echoes is much better than it looks and worth giving a try. True? False?

True. It came out at the wrong time and gathered comparisons to "Sixth Sense" which is why it was written off and poorly recieved, but it's a very effective thriller in it's own right.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: godardianI've heard Stir of Echoes is much better than it looks and worth giving a try. True? False?

I thought it was forgettable. Illeana Douglas's character and performance were the best part of the movie. I guess it was like a watered down Sixth Sense to me. I agree it came out at the wrong time, but I still found it so-so.

Secret Window looks like it could be promising, though.  I'll see it for Johnny Depp and John Turturro, if anything.

Jeremy Blackman

Stir of Echoes is a good thriller, though not extremely original (even putting The Sixth Sense aside). Kevin Bacon's paranoia is a little over-the-top.

Pedro

trailer has some pretty cool shots in it...that voice over made me laugh, though.

Pozer

looks good to me
yeah, that cheezy straight to video voice over guy. terrible.
when the hell does J Depp's NEVERLAND come out?

MacGuffin

Sony Opens Depp's Secret Window Early
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Sony Pictures is releasing the Johnny Depp thriller Secret Window six weeks earlier than originally planned. The film, based on a novella by Stephen King, is moving from an April 23 release date to March 12.

Jeff Blake, vice chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment and president of worldwide marketing and distribution, said "we just had our first screening of the film, and it went great; Johnny Depp is terrific in this film. 'Secret Window' should be finished and ready to go for a March 12 release date, which looks like a very good slot."

Written and directed by David Koepp, Secret Window is about a writer (Depp) going through a painful divorce, who is stalked by a psychotic stranger (John Turturro) who claims the writer stole his story. To force the writer to make amends, the stranger will go to any lengths, including murder. Maria Bello, Ving Rhames and Timothy Hutton also star.

Sony will kick-off the media campaign for the film on February 1 with a spot during Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Quote from: poserisms
when the hell does J Depp's NEVERLAND come out?

I was just thinking about that today. It's been finished for a while, but the distributor is holding off on it until sometime this year. I imagine it'll show up at Toronto come September.

cowboykurtis

this movie is laughable -- complete shit. end of story.
...your excuses are your own...

Pedro

Quote from: cowboykurtisthis movie is laughable -- complete shit. end of story.
have you seen it?

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

throw a cig in his mouth and you've got the cover for The Ninth Gate

Sanjuro

when i saw "Secret Window" in the topic... i thought Secret window, secret garden? you gotta be shittin me... turns out

i remember a few years back i wanted so much to make this a short film coz it was a story i knew and liked pretty well back then...
i even tried writing a script but  after a few lines, i was like, 'shit i cant write, ill just stick to watching films first'
now its a major motion picture... how weird is that?

ill be excited to see it just to see how it compares to how i pictured it in my mind heheh
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Henry Hill

I love Johnny Depp and John Turturro, but I don't know. I think I will wait until you guys see it and let me know if it's worth seeing. It just seems to me like it could hit or miss, as Stephen King adaptations usually do.  It wasn't on my list to see, but maybe I will if the consensus is positive.