Harry Potter And The Prizoner Of Azkaban

Started by modage, July 31, 2003, 09:57:31 AM

Sleepless

This is going to be the best HP film of the lot isn't it. Having read the books it was always my favourite, but I think this film is going to be more than just a blockbuster (which is what the other two were), it looks like it's gonna be really dark, and Cuaron seems to be using his low-budget experience to good use. Seriously can't fucking wait.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

Newell Says Goblet of Fire Will be One Film
Source: Empire Online Friday, January 30, 2004

Rumors have been circulating that Warner Bros. may split up Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire into two films, due to the size of the book. Not so, Mike Newell tells Empire magazine. "As far as I'm concerned it's absolutely possible to do it in one. I think it would be slightly embarrassing to do it in two."

The director said he'll also be taking the franchise in yet another new direction. "It's a classic paranoid thriller in a way. I've spent Christmas watching things like The Parallax View and The Insider and Three Days of the Condor. What you have is a story at the beginning of which the powers of evil have a plan, which is absolutely not revealed to your hero. The kid just wonders into another year at school, then this huge notion of the competition surprises him. But there is, of course, a malign intelligence which is manipulating things. And so he gets more and more suspicious until there is a shoot-out between him and the bad guy. That's a really good, strong thriller shape."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

This franchise could get really interesting if WB give the directors their way. A gritty coming-of-age movie, then a paranoid thriller.... Far more excited about these next two than the CC ones...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pubrick

Quote from: SleeplessThis franchise could get really interesting if WB give the directors their way. A gritty coming-of-age movie, then a paranoid thriller....
then a hardcore teen sex romp. am i right people??
under the paving stones.

Chest Rockwell

I really can't wait for this to come out. I read the first three in fifth/sixth grade, and then for the longest time I hated the books due to their sudden popularity. I decided to reread them recently, including the fourth and fifth ones, and the third was definitely one of my favorites (I have yet to finish the fifth, though). This'll be good, I bet.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Chest RockwellI read the first three in fifth/sixth grade

Holy shit, I'm old.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: hacksparrow

Holy shit, I'm old.
It's really nice when you guys ignore the entire point of my posts to comment on my age.

xerxes

here's a link to the web chat with jk rowling if anyone is interested.

Chest Rockwell

Man that was the stupidest interview I've ever read. All I learned is that Malfoy and Hermione won't date and that there'll be a new Minister of Magic. But besides that, these kids are stupid. I don't know how JKR can stand them, though it seemed at parts that someone was answering for her.

Ghostboy

Heh, that reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where they got to England and meet Rowling, and she tells Lisa "Harry grows up, and he marries you. Is that what you want to hear?" Lisa nods enthusiastically.

BTW, Chest, I'm TOTALLY with you on the books. I love them. The day I spent reading the last one last year is a cherished memory.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Chest Rockwell

Holy shit, I'm old.
It's really nice when you guys ignore the entire point of my posts to comment on my age.

Don't bust out the "numchucks," Reed-o.  Relax.

Prisoner of Azkaban is the first GREAT Potter book.  This one is probably going to make the best film (of the 5 books so far).  I think the books have gotten better with each one, but 4 and 5 may be TOO big to effectively make great movies (time will tell) so Azkaban could be it, I think.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Chest Rockwell

Holy shit, I'm old.

Don't bust out the "numchucks," Reed-o.  Relax.

Prisoner of Azkaban is the first GREAT Potter book.  This one is probably going to make the best film (of the 5 books so far).  I think the books have gotten better with each one, but 4 and 5 may be TOO big to effectively make great movies (time will tell) so Azkaban could be it, I think.
Sorry for the comment. I was just egging you on into giving me a real response like your last post.

That said, I agree. It all starts with PoA, really. I have a really good feeling for this movie, and heck, it has Gary Oldman. I dunno if his (I'm assuming) little screentime can beat Kenneth Branagh's Gilderoy Lockhart, though. The main thing that excites me about this one is Alfonso Cuaron and, well, I've always thought Emma Watson was kinda cute. Of the three main characters I think she does the best (though I have nothing against the others). Either way, it looks to be good.

And thanks, Ghostboy! It's nice some Harry Potter fans in this world of cynics.

MacGuffin

UK's The Snitch fansite posted this scan of a poster that appeared in Nickelodeon Magazine:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Chest Rockwell