Babel

Started by MacGuffin, March 03, 2005, 01:35:30 AM

MacGuffin

Blanchett, Pitt climbing Par's 'Babel'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett are in negotiations to team up for "Babel," a drama that Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is directing. Anonymous Content's Steve Golin and John Kilik are producing the project, which Paramount Pictures is the final stages of acquiring. The drama will reteam Inarritu with screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga. The two also collaborated on "21 Grams" and "Amores Perros."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

fuck yeah, language.
under the paving stones.

kotte

Yes!!

A new film! I'm excited. Know nothing about it but yahoo!!

So Pitt and Blanchett exchanged an Aronofsky for a Gonzalez

Weak2ndAct

From scriptsales.com

Title:        Babel
Log Line:  Four interweaving stories set in Morocco, Tunisia, Mexico and Japan, with the story beginning with a tragedy striking a married couple on vacation.
Writer:      Guillermo Arriaga
Agent:      Shana Eddy of UTA
Buyer:      Paramount Pictures
Price:       $20 million (rights package)
Genre:      Drama
Logged:    3/3/05
More:       Endeavor conducted an auction for this project, with the rights being sold for close to $20 million.  Jon Kilik and Anonymous Content's Steve Golin will produce.  Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu will direct.  Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett and Gael Garcia Bernal will star.

That tragedy better not be a car accident.  I don't want to see a car anywhere near that scene.

kotte

Quote from: Weak2ndActThat tragedy better not be a car accident.  I don't want to see a car anywhere near that scene.

Well, it's possible.

Arriaga has been talking quite a bit about wanting to do a "car accident trilogy" with Gonzalez.

We'll see, either way I don't think I'll be disappointed.

NEON MERCURY

good shit :bravo:

but yeah, leave the cars out this time

Quote from: kotteSo Pitt and Blanchett exchanged an Aronofsky for a Gonzalez

i thougth pitt left darren for wolfgang for that shitty, cheesy troy movie.
i couldnt care less whose in this film.. i just excited b/c of AGI..and its cool to see bernal back..which brings me to another point.  this film will undoubtly give bernal the starpower/crossover sucess he desreves b/c he could ride it off of pitts top billing.  but the best part is that bernal is more of a talent and daring actor then pitt will ever be.  this guy fucking awesome..

Pubrick

car crashes are awesome. deal with it. if ur ok with Von Trier doing the same thing 3 times then this shouldn't be an issue.

anyway, LANGUAGE! he's totally on the ball this guy. right now he IS the ball.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

P, you've said "language" twice right now, and I totally don't see what that is about. Help a brotha out.

I hope it's a car crash. It's no secret that car crashes are probably one of the most disturbing things to ever witness or be involved in, so having three great movies surrounding these, I dunno it would be awesome. Sucks, I still haven't seen Crash by Cronenberg, but that's another forum.
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarP, you've said "language" twice right now, and I totally don't see what that is about.

Quote from: MacGuffin 'Babel'

Quote from: Pubrickfuck yeah, language.

Gamblour.

:oops:

Can we delete like the past couple of posts?

Ah, it's like babelfish. I get it.
WWPTAD?

Ghostboy

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollar:oops:

Can we delete like the past couple of posts?

Ah, it's like babelfish. I get it.

Are you sure you're looking back far enough?

kotte

"It's this theory about the butterfly that leaves Tokyo and there's a storm in New York. It's the last of the triptych of crossing stories that starts with Amores Perros, the 21 Grams. This one [takes place] on a global scale, in Morocco, Mexico, the United States, and Japan, and will be like a cultural prism that shows how we are all connected."

- Alejandro González Iñárritu on Babel

I Don't Believe in Beatles

http://www.emanuellevy.com/article.php?articleID=980

Preview 2006: Babel

"Babel," the new film of the gifted Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, who has helmed "Amores Perros" and "21 Grams," promises to be just as controversial and intense as his previous ones.

Written by frequent collaborator Guillermo Arriago (who wrote Tommy Lee Jones' current "Three Burials"), Babel stars Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Gael Garcia Bernal (who was also in "Amores Perros"), Koji Yakusho, and Elle Fanning.

At once intimate and epic, "Babel," was shot in four countries with the above movie stars as well as non-professional actors, concludes Inarritu's trilogy that began with "Amores Perros" and "21 Grams." Boasting a more ambitious scope, the new film begins with two Moroccan boys, who set out to look after their family's herd of goats. Armed with a Winchester rifle, they decide to test it in the silent echoes of the desert, not realizing that the bullet fired would go farther than they had though with shocking consequences.

In an instant, the lives of four separate groups of strangers, on three different continents, collide. Caught up in the rising tide of an accident that escalates beyond anyone's control are a vacationing American couple (played by Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, paired for the first time), a rebellious deaf Japanese teenager and her father, and a Mexican nanny who, without permission, takes two American children across the border.

None of these strangers will ever meet. In spite of the sudden, unlikely connection between them, they will all remain isolated sue to their own inability to communicate meaningfully with anyone around them.

Thematically, one can see a direct link to "21 Grams," as both films are constructed as puzzle and based on an accident that brings various protagonists together (in "21 Grams," it was Naomi Watts and Sean Penn). And there me be a reference to Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much," which he directed twice (in 1934 and in 1956), in which a complacent married couple (Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day in the remake) are vacationing in Morocco and inadvertently get caught in an international espionage plot.

Produced by Jon Kilik and Steve Golin, "Babel" will be released by Paramount in fall 2006, after playing some of the major film festivals.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

squints

Wow, that sounds great. At least it doesn't have any car wrecks.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

kotte

Quote from: squints on April 12, 2006, 11:39:43 AM
At least it doesn't have any car wrecks.

We'll see...

QuoteArmed with a Winchester rifle, they decide to test it in the silent echoes of the desert, not realizing that the bullet fired would go farther than they had though with shocking consequences.

Anyway...This is the film of 2006...