Baby Mama

Started by MacGuffin, April 07, 2008, 04:32:58 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: April 25th, 2008 (wide)

Starring: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Sigourney Weaver, Dax Shepard, Greg Kinnear 

Directed by: Michael McCullers

Premise: Successful and single businesswoman Kate Holbrook has long put her career ahead of a personal life. Now 37, she's finally determined to have a kid on her own. But her plan is thrown a curve ball after she discovers she has only a million-to-one chance of getting pregnant.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

i'll see it for tina but damn, have we not had enough comedies about pregnancy for one decade?

john

You know, I knew this was going to be a piece of shit. In the bottom of my gut, I knew it. No matter how many credible people you lofted onto this turd, it wasn't going to make it any better.

The only thing that surprised me was how, staggeringly, shockingly, awful and unfunny it is. Tiny Fey, Amy Poehler, John Hodgeman, Steve Martin, Fred Armisen, Will Forte... this film takes everyone down with it.

Nobody can squeeze a memorable cameo, a worthwhile one-liner, or even the faintest glimmer of life into this dreck. You can actually see life being sucked out of everyone involved, frame by frame.  It not even worth expounding upon this much.

The only reason for this post is to tell anyone who might consider seeing this, even to humor their significant other, to STAY THE FUCK AWAY.

Just avoid it. At all costs.

Learn from my mistake.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

cinemanarchist

Quote from: john on April 25, 2008, 11:14:36 PM
Just avoid it. At all costs.

Learn from my mistake.

Too Late. It was free so it's just 100 minutes I'm not getting back. That movie really did depress me for the rest of the evening. I was supposed to go to a party and I blew it off and instead went home and sulked. Thanks Tina Fey.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

modage

This movie is the worst!  Tina Fey, don't do this to me again.  I need to watch last week's 30 Rock just to get the stink off.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Quote from: modage on November 01, 2008, 05:36:07 PM
the worst!

Fey'ism.

I thought the flick was cute. Tina was adorable. It wasn't pretending to be anything else. If it was trying to be more ambitious, It would have been horrible.

I hated Steve Martin in this movie. He's teh worst.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Yeah, there are some truly funny moments in this movie. 

You know it's going to suck, why expect anything else.  I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the better parts.

Amy's the only reason to see it.

matt35mm

How did this turn out to be so bad?  I know you all said it sucked, but I was still surprised by how uninspired it was.  While I was watching it, I was thinking how pretty much every single directorial decision was a bad one and completely stolen from other lousy movies.  From all the bad reviews, I was expecting something that was overall unsuccessful but with a few inspired gems in there, but nope.  Nary a laugh, with the possible exception of the wind in Sigourney Weaver's hair.

The only person who does anything mildly worth watching in the movie is Amy Poehler, because we know that she can be really funny (not with this screenplay though), and there are hints that she might do dramatic really well, so the only thing mildly interesting in this movie is the talent and range that Poehler might show in the future.

Oh well.  I only watched it because I couldn't sleep and I certainly didn't pay for it, so I'm not going to go around smashing windows for justice over this one.

Still, fuck you, Michael McCullers.  I don't know how you got anyone to say yes to anything you proposed.  In directing, at any point in time, there's an infinite possibility of interesting choices and a small handful of terribly boring choices and you chose the boring ones every time.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I could try to give this another chance, but I turned it off once the unbearable product placement of "I can't believe you're drinking RED BULL, DR. PEPPER and playing KARAOKE REVOLUTION!"

I was kind of tired anyway, but that was just the anvil that broke the camel's back.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

Yeah, brand product placement in a generic movie.

It's not worth giving it another chance though unless you're just interested in how talented people could go along with such boring ideas.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: matt35mm on May 04, 2009, 08:17:59 PM

It's not worth giving it another chance though unless you're just interested in how talented people could go along with such boring ideas.
If you want more of that watch 'obsessed' tonight at the theaters or 'heroes'...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gamblour.

I guess knowing this was a travesty coupled with the fact that I was on a plane made this bearable. Shit, I laughed quite a bit at this. I can't be too angry at it.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Yeah, it was lazy, sloppy, had a seriously inconsistent tone and it kicked you square in the nuts with the product placement, but I'm with Gamblour.  I laughed at a lot of it.  There are far worse movies out there than this.
My house, my rules, my coffee