Spy Kids 3-D - Once Upon A Time In Mexico

Started by MacGuffin, February 11, 2003, 11:46:44 AM

Gold Trumpet

Saw the trailer. Felt like a duplicate to the one for Desperado, besides the new faces.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

I thought it was a great trailer. It was cut a little too quickly for my taste at first, but once there's that quick push in on Banderas as he makes the sign of the cross with the pistol, and the guitar strumming starts up, I got really excited. I'll bet this was cut with the premonition that 'Pirates' would be a big hit, since Johnny Depp gets the most screen time in it.

Also, the HD photography looked real nice (I saw it on the big screen). One of these days, the technology will be commonplace enough to forget that it's being used, but for now it's always nice to see someone taking advantage of digital video.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Sept 12? That's the same day as Cabin Fever! What a glorious weekend (I hope) that'll be.

Pubrick

Quote from: GhostboySept 12? That's the same day as Cabin Fever!
i'm watching that on Aug 1st. ha, before u! wow i don't think this has ever happened. the end is nigh.  :shock:
under the paving stones.

phil marlowe

Quote from: Pthe end is nigh.  :shock:
one day tremolosloth wont be able to take anymore and you'll be standing with a law suit(sp?) in your hands, sir.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

From Entertainment Weekly:

Did anyone really ask for another ''Desperado'' -- a film too few saw the first time? Maybe not, but early word on ''Mexico'' is that Depp, fresh off his box office swashbuckling in ''Pirates of the Caribbean,'' steals the show.

It's hard to begrudge Robert Rodriguez's desire to crank out a trilogy of family flicks for his sons to enjoy. But now that the ''Spy Kids'' franchise has run its cuddly course, we're pleased to see the director back where he belongs: blowing stuff up for the grown-ups.

Ostensibly a sequel to 1995's cult bloodbath ''Desperado'' (which was itself a sequel to 1993's equally culty ''El Mariachi''), ''Once Upon a Time in Mexico'' owes its existence to the biggest cult drooler of all, Quentin Tarantino. "When we were doing 'From Dusk Till Dawn' back in '95, Quentin suggested I do a third 'El Mariachi'/'Desperado' movie and it could be like my 'Fistful of Dollars' trilogy," says Rodriguez, referring to Sergio Leone's '60s troika of spaghetti Westerns: ''A Fistful of Dollars,'' ''For a Few Dollars More,'' and ''The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.''

Rodriguez sparked to the idea, but it wasn't until years later when he was finishing ''Spy Kids'' that he turned to Antonio Banderas -- the Eastwood to his Leone -- and asked what he thought about picking up his explosives-packed guitar case again. Recalls Banderas, "I asked Robert if he had a script and he said, 'Give me three weeks, I'll come up with one!'" Rodriguez needed only one.

The south-of-the-border saga kicks off when a psychotic CIA agent (Johnny Depp) hires Banderas' shadowy Mariachi to whack a ruthless cartel lord during Mexico's Day of the Dead. But it's not as simple as it sounds. From there, Rodriguez jackknifes into more double and triple crosses than a bag full of pretzels. And even Banderas admits, "I'm in the movie and I don't even know who's a good guy and who's a bad guy."

The Killer Moment: Depp's rogue CIA agent, after having his eyes gouged out, seeks payback in a blind pistol fight.

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

this movie will be badass. desperado is awesome, hence, this will be awesome. believe it or not, i still have not seen el mariachi. i know...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pozer

MacGuffin

If you missed the Bravo channel's airing of the Making of Once Upon A Time In Mexico over this past weekend:

http://www.themoviebox.net/trailers/mexico/making-of/mexico_makingof.html

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I saw OUATIM this evening, and it's a heck of a lot of fun. I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first: Rodriguez is not a good writer. I couldn't for the life of me tell you what the plot of the movie is, and it's not for lack of trying. It's convoluted beyond hope; it's hard to even figure out who the villain is. This means that there are passages of expository dialogue that, since they don't actually explain anything, are just boring.

But they're pretty infrequent, and the rest of the time, the movie is like the antithesis of Bad Boys 2. Lots of action, graphic violence, and a sense of grace and playfulness. Rodriguez still hasn't run out of imaginative ways to stage an action scene.

Other things worth mentioning: Johnny Depp's eyes, Johnny Depp's lunchboxes, Johnny Depp's tip at the cafe and most of the other stuff involving his character.

Also, I couldn't believe this was shot on HD. The trailer must have been from partially uncorrected footage -- there were a lot of giveaways there, but none in the movie itself. The movie looks a gazillion times more vibrant than many 35mm features (and way better than any other HD movie to date). ILM did the color correction and transfer, so I guess there's a reason for that.

EDIT: all of this is restated and added upon in my full review.