The 2004 Xixax DEKAPENTICON

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 07, 2004, 02:52:19 AM

Comte de Saint Germain

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobI apologize for posting those as well

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobI'm sure you'll understand it one day when you find out what sex is.

better apologize again.
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

Jeremy Blackman

It's finally time for the Xixax Awards nominations. There's not much time!

Alexandro

What a cool list, really.......very xixax

I have one complain though...I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone has brought this up but:

WHERE THE HELL IS THE BIG LEBOWSKI???

I could take out PDL or Fight Club for Lebowski...that's just me...

SHAFTR

So I'm a little late but I finally got to look at this list (since i'm back at school and away from Dialup!).

Some thoughts on it...

1.  Not a huge fan of Dr Strangelove being on it, I really don't think the film has aged well.

2. Extremely happy for the French New Wave Films.

3. Many complain about PDL, my prediction is in 5 years PDL will be liked more than Magnolia on this board.

4. Fight Club, not a top 15 movie.

If someone is interested in seeing the films I voted for, PM me and I'll message them to you.
5. Is it just me or is 8 1/2 the chic foreign film to love/
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Quote from: SHAFTR5. Is it just me or is 8 1/2 the chic foreign film to love/

Or it could be that it's just a really fucking great movie, and people who like movies can easily realize that.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Xixax

Jeremy Blackman is my hero.

He made up a totally new word.

Excellent!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Quote from: XaxixJeremy Blackman is my hero.

Excellent!

hahahahaha  yeah i searched for it too
context, context, context.

Fernando

Quote from: XaxixJeremy Blackman is my hero.

Excellent!

Funny thing is that it takes you to the total post by user, SNT is the first and I'm second from top to bottom.

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTR1.  Not a huge fan of Dr Strangelove being on it, I really don't think the film has aged well.
are u kidding? i saw it last week and couldn't believe how relevant and fresh it was.

Quote from: SHAFTR3. Many complain about PDL, my prediction is in 5 years PDL will be liked more than Magnolia on this board.
i seriously doubt that.

Quote from: SHAFTR5. Is it just me or is 8 1/2 the chic foreign film to love/
no actually it's been cool to love it since the day it was released.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

I agree with P on all three points. Especially Strangelove... I forced a few Strangelove avatars on myself a few months ago because of its stunning relevence.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI agree with P on all three points. Especially Strangelove... I forced a few Strangelove avatars on myself a few months ago because of its stunning relevence.

Well, any anti-war/war satire will seem relevant during wartime. Strangelove is more of two big heads colliding instead of our current big guy picking on the littler guy war situation. Do I have the right general idea?
WWPTAD?

Chest Rockwell

I think Dr. Strangelove should be on there. I seriously watched just two nights ago after having not seen it in a few years, and I thought it was hee-larious. I will say PDL probably should not be on there, in place of....I dunno....was there a Coen movie on there? I don't recall one. The only other thing I question is whether Vertigo should be the representative Hitchcock film in the list. Oh, and Fight Club really does not belong on the list at all, either. And for whoever said it shouldn't be on the list, I think Mulholland Dr. should be on, because it's the best Lynch I've seen, and God help us if Lynch isn't anywhere on the list. God help us.

i think the only thing that list lacks is a Corleone.
context, context, context.

ono

Man, I just saw Amelie again tonight on the big screen in a practically-full theatre.  Talk about a perfect film.  Got to me just as much as it did the first time.  The first 15-20 minutes of this film rival that of Magnolia's in its brilliance (narration used to great effect, the intros of characters, all the little things in life that people don't notice, great character development, etc.), and its score is just the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.  I'm posting this here just to reiterate my astonishment that, with the number of people who I know love this film, it (and The Big Lebowski) didn't place in the list.  So yeah.

Also, Ghostboy, you're one of the people I was anticipating reading their picks from, yet you didn't post a list.  Will you?  Anyone else, feel free.  I need all the recommendations I can get.

Ghostboy

I never participated in the first round of voting...I guess I was too busy counting everyone else's (I do know, though, that The Decalogue would have ranked very high on my ballot, along with Discreet Charm Of The Bourgoisie). Man, that seems like forever ago now. Anyway, I did cull my favorite ten from the list of fifty, and they are (predictably):

1. 2001
2. Do the Right Thing
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Citizen Kane
5. Singin' In The Rain
6. Taxi Driver
7. Apocalypse now
8. 8 1/2
9. Magnolia
10. The Empire Strikes Back

I remember that I made the last minute decision to remove Vertigo and add ESB.

Actually, I was rather shocked at how many of the fifty choices I had yet to see...nearly a third of them, if I remember correctly. I really need to get in the habit of watching more DVDs!