Favourite PTA Movie

Started by children with angels, March 07, 2003, 03:51:03 PM

sickfins

flagpole special was pretty bitchin

Pedro

Magnolia.  A perfect beautiful film, and probably my all time favorite.  Boogie Nights is great...but it I didn't think so originally.  It grew on me though.  Each one of PTA's movies are just so great though....Hard Eight is perfect because of PBH's performance...BN is great for it's style and dialogue...Magnolia has amazing emotional impact, and some of the greatest shots I've ever seen...PDL is just awesome, but I'm not exactly sure why yet...I'm thinking because of Sandler's performance...

But my vote is for Magnolia...in fact, I think I'm gonna go watch it right now.

fulty

Quote from: aclockworkjjCurious as to how so?:
PDL changed my life simply because it was the first PTA movie I saw.  
I didn't really understand it...it was not at all what I expected, but I was so intrigued, and felt so good leaving the theatre...not knowing why..and had to find out why.  My daughter suggested I try the PTA website.  
Wow, this is so much fun.  I learned a few things that helped me understand what the movie meant.  Went to see it again ( my 1st time ever wanting to see the same movie twice )  Everyone on the message board was so excited about PTA and all his movies.  So now I own all the DVDs and soundtracks available and can't wait for more.  My wifes favorite is Hard Eight.  
Thank you Tina.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Girlonthemoon

It's currently Magnolia at the moment, cause I could relate to it in so many ways, but PDL is coming a close second. However, BN is cool and funny and Hard Eight was superb... Damn, this is confusing - they're all excellent in their own way.

Nope, it really doesn't feel right to rank them!
Hud at ya blades...

snaporaz

i wouldn't want to say what anderson's "best" film is, but my favourite is definately boogie nights, just because it's flat-out fun. plus, i have an attraction towards epic period-pieces with a bursting soundtrack of the era, like goodfellas.

BonBon85

My favorite is Magnolia. After I watch it, my mother's kind words come to mind: you're never going to be able to make a movie that good...

Except when my mom says it she's usually referring to Mrs. Doubtfire...

thanks, Mom.

Recce

I think Boogie Nights for me. It was more entertaining then Magnolia, which was also a great film, but I still say Boogie Nights.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Dendy

Quoteflagpole special was pretty bitchin

Where/How did you see it?
"The Dude Abides"

sickfins

not only did i see it at retinevitable but the creates denied me a copy of it, deeming it unworthy of my prying eyes (we discussed it over brunch and he politely denied)

Julke

My favorite would be Magnolia.  I remember going to see at the theater, not knowing what was in stores for me.  I was blown away.  Plus it has excellent music by Aimme Mann and Supertramp.

I wanna insist that it is only my fav, that doesn'T mean the best because they're equally good for very different reasons.

oakmanc234

My favs in order:

1. Punch-Drunk Love
2. Boogie Nights
3. Magnolia
4. Hard Eight
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

tpfkabi

my fav is PDL after seeing it for the 5th time. i think its his best film with no extra fluff. i like magnolia a lot too, but it and b.n. are maybe a bit long. everything in pdl is geniously cinematic. there are so many moments......heck think of the brothers beat down for one(just one):
he gets punched out, we see the utah license plate sideways,
he runs and the light is so that we see his black shadow across a white wall ahead of him, then he runs into an alleyway, where we get an above head shot that makes him look like a rat in a cage, then he runs out and we get scared seeing the light on his back knowing something is coming.....and then utter frustration when "they know where he lives" anyway.....no way to get away.......this is just one sequence of scenes.......the entire film is that way

the other films are great too and i think he gets better a little bit each time
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

manhattanize

my favorite would be magnolia...when i first saw it i fell in love with his work all over again, and again with PDL, so damn i can't decide what is my favorite.

PTA is so talented and dreamy, oh, paul...   :oops:

i say magnolia is my favorite today, but tomorrow who knows...they all are just so good, i have to share the love, so i don't make any of his films jealous...
"we are the dreamers of the dreams"-wonka

Henry Krinkle

1. Punch-Drunk Love
2. Magnolia
3. Hard Eight
4. Boogie Nights

I didn't think PTA could top Magnolia but PDL is the best IMO.  

With BOOGIE being at number 4, by no means i'm i saying it's a bad film or his worst - i love Boogie, it's epic, it's awesome - its probally PTA's most entertaining film of the 4 IMO.  However, i saw Hard Eight when it first came out and was blown away by it - the movie itself obviously- but also the fact it was this guy's first film and it's a masterpeice IMO for a first film.

Henry Krinkle

©brad

any of you brits on here catch Magnolia on BBC last night? well i did. I don't have any dvds here, and these kids in the dorms here have shite movies (knotting hill and 10 Things I hate about You are the favorites here) So when I found out that Magnolia was on at 9:15 I nearly creamed my pants. One of the british chicks wuz out of town and let me use the tv in her room, I got to watch it all by myself thank god. It was good, despite the pan and scan (gross). Got drunk. Watching it made me want to come home.  :(