all things iPod (buying, using, breaking)

Started by cron, January 15, 2004, 11:48:12 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: cronopio on January 28, 2006, 01:14:16 AM
also, would it be too controversial if i started a 'what's on your ipod' thread? where should it go?

i merged your "ipod's dirty secret" thread, and squints "top of your ipod" with this one. you can now do that here.

i gave it a subtitle which u can alter depending on any new developments.
under the paving stones.

picolas

Slick Shoes

i am seeking advice, thoughts and opinions on something. the recent acquisition of a 60 gig ipod has got me thinking. recently, i heard of someone who sold all their cds, literally thousands. i am thinking of doing the same, though my collection is considerably smaller. would i be making a huge mistake? i always liked having a hard copy, and i casually enjoy reading liner notes, but lately collecting cds has started to feel pointless. it seems their main purpose is to line my shelves like a trophy case. if i get an adaptor for my car, and back everything up on some dvds or something, the only reason i can think for not doing this is for nostalgic purposes. i would like for someone to either push me over the edge or talk me out of it.

(i hope this isn't too much of a stretch for this thread. if it is i apologize...)

polkablues

Quote from: Slick Shoes on March 02, 2006, 02:02:44 AM
i would like for someone to either push me over the edge or talk me out of it.

Consider this a push.

Just make sure to back up everything.  iPods, like any hard drive, will die in time.  So you want to be sure you can get all that music back on your new one once it does.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: Slick Shoes on March 02, 2006, 02:02:44 AM
but lately collecting cds has started to feel pointless.
haha, only lately?

like polky said, backup your mp3s on dvd and be done with em (cds).
under the paving stones.

mogwai

i agree with pubsky and polsky on everything they said. back(it)up yo!

RegularKarate

I'm gonna say "only do it if you really need the money".

You just don't get enough money from used cds to make it worthwhile and it's nice to have the package.  Also, it's a pain in the ass to back up every single fucking CD you have and when people are over, they're not gonna browse your iTunes for conversational pieces.  They're going to look to your shelves and see cool covers and ask about them.

godardian

If sound quality is a concern, I think you need to keep your CDs. I find that MP3s are too variable and often inferior in retaining the fullest and most thorough possible sound. Either keep the CDs, or if you really need the money, make sure that when you import them it is at the highest possible sound quality.

The sleeve artwork, too, is something I would hate to lose. Although if you ask those who love album artwork based on when there were LPs, they'll tell you you've already lost it with cassettes or CDs (not to mention the "warmth" of hearing your music come from vinyl, those snobs).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

i have:

brasseye
extras
father ted
fawlty towers
i'm alan partridge
jaaaaaaam
nathan barley
sealab 2021
spaced
the mighty boosh
yes minister
yes prime minister

bbc and channel 4 are angry.
context, context, context.

Pubrick

Quote from: godardian on March 02, 2006, 12:44:59 PM
I find that MP3s are too variable and often inferior in retaining the fullest and most thorough possible sound. ... make sure that when you import them it is at the highest possible sound quality.
the same that you said for importing CDs goes for mp3s. sound quality can be monitored before you download an mp3, i don't think it's a factor if you're willing to look for it.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

I don't download MP3s unless they're at least 160 kpbs, preferably 192. iTunes and its AAC format can get away with 128 cause it's essentially a different technology.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 02, 2006, 08:57:59 PM
I don't download MP3s unless they're at least 160 kpbs, preferably 192.
i would never go below 192. variable bit rate files are also preferable.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

XIXAX:
"We never go below 192"

And anyway, if you've got the 60 gig iPod and you're ripping cds at 192, you'll run out of time and money long before you'll ever run out of space.  So there's no good reason to do anything less.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Weird. Oh

If you're worried about digital loss while encoding just use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and rip in a lossless format, but you're going to compromise space while saving sound quality.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

cbrad and his technology dilemma reminded me,
did you ipod video owners know that there's an upcoming touchscreen model?

it'll probably be good, but meh.
i'm pretty happy with mine except for a terrible scratch that occured THE DAY AFTER I GOT IT. i just got a file with about a hundred episodes of roger ramjet and their lenght is perfect for bus rides.
context, context, context.