Noah

Started by MacGuffin, November 04, 2006, 01:13:15 AM

Sleepless

From Empire. Interesting bits highlighted:

"After a long time spent courting their number one choice, sending flowers and special boat-themed presents to Christian Bale, Darren Aronofsky and studio backers Paramount are heartbroken as he's decided to pass on the lead in Biblical epic Noah. But never fear! For there is a new possibility in the frame! Give us an "F"! Give us an "A"! Give us an "S"... Look, it'll take far too long to spell his name out that way: it's Michael Fassbender.

Bale has apparently had to give up the chance to play the boat-building bloke because of his busy schedule, largely dominated by two new Terrence Malick films, Lawless and Knight Of Cups, plus any press he'll need to do for The Dark Knight Rises.

And while you might think Fassbender would be even more in demand than Sir Good For You, he's actually only got one active project on his radar right now – another playdate with best pal Steve McQueen for 12 Years A Slave. He had been looking at real-life spy drama Londongrad, but that has come to a grinding halt now Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes director Rupert Wyatt has dropped the project.

So while there's not even a formal offer in place for Fassbender, he has apparently chatted to Aronofsky about taking on the film, which the director originally co-wrote with Ari Handel. With a freshly polished script in hand courtesy of Hugo's John Logan, Aronofsky hopes to sail the production seas this coming spring."
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Darren Aronofsky's 'Noah' Reportedly Has A Big Villain; Summer Shoot & Fall 2013 Release Being Eyed
Source: Playlist

It's been a while since we last heard anything about Darren Aronofsky's "Noah" which has been on a circuitous path to the big screen. A long-standing dream project for the director, it already has a graphic novel incarnation, but over the past year Fox and New Regency came aboard to finance the big budget spectacle that reportedly has a $130 million budget. The film got another boost when Christian Bale circled the lead role, but his commitments to Terrence Malick's back-to-back films shooting this year took him out, with Michael Fassbender now tipped to take over (though he's remained mum on his potential involvement as it seems too tenuous this early on). We haven't gotten wind of much else in a while but it appears that behind the scenes, the wheels are in motion.

During the latest Oscar Poker chat between Sasha Stone (Awards Daily) and Jeffrey Wells (Hollywood Elsewhere), the latter revealed some interesting tidibts he received while chatting with Aronofsky's regular collaborator, cinematographer Matthew Libatique. Yes, this is a bit of hearsay, but this isn't "Law & Order" or a courtroom and it's pretty fascinating stuff. "...And he was telling me about 'Noah' and what the script is like. They're going to start shooting in July in New York and Iceland and he says it's really a good script. They're really doing the story of Noah, a very unlikely subject you might think for a cutting edge fellow like Darren Aronofsky, but that's what they're doing. It's going to be more likely a Fall 2013 release," Wells shared.

As for who's gonna take the lead, that's still up in the air, but it's not the only part up for grabs, as "Noah" will feature of villain (of sorts). "That's the hangup right now, they haven't cast Noah yet. But it's got a guy in his 40s so it's not going to be young. It's going to be 40s. And there's a big villain part, gotta have a villain in the story of Noah," Wells added. "Someone who's saying 'Listen, don't listen to him. We're fine! We don't need to build any ark. Don't be so alarmist! Don't be so fundamentalist.' You know? One of those guys. So it sounded like a lot of fun, actually."

So yeah, less of a villain and more of a doubting Thomas perhaps, someone who will challenge Noah's faith that God is sending a flood, is our guess. And a summer shoot would likely conflict with Fassbender's commitment to "Twelve Years A Slave," so we presume he's out of the mix (though if 'Slave' shoots and wraps fast, we suppose it's still a possibility). It looks like Steven Spielberg isn't the only filmmaker dipping his toes in the Old Testament...and should it come together, Aronofsky will get there before him. Fascinating stuff, and here's hoping we hear more soon.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

The villain of the story isn't the one committing mass-scale genocide across the entire planet?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Just Withnail

Quote from: Jeffrey Wells
"...And he was telling me about 'Noah' and what the script is like. They're going to start shooting in July in New York and Iceland and he says it's really a good script. They're really doing the story of Noah, a very unlikely subject you might think for a cutting edge fellow like Darren Aronofsky, but that's what they're doing. It's going to be more likely a Fall 2013 release," Wells shared.

...and a boat. Big one. Religious stuff, but you know. Animals, two of a pair. And sex! Maybe.

Quote from: Jeffrey WellsBut it's got a guy in his 40s so it's not going to be young. It's going to be 40s.

Yes. Last I've heard - now don't tell no one - 40s, they still count. As young. 40s. Guy. Noah. News.

Quote from: Jeffrey WellsAnd there's a big villain part, gotta have a villain in the story of Noah

It might be liquid, but some sources hint at solid. Gas?

Quote from: Jeffrey Wells"Someone who's saying 'Listen, don't listen to him. We're fine! We don't need to build any ark. Don't be so alarmist! Don't be so fundamentalist.'

Gaseous atheists.

Quote from: Jeffrey WellsYou know? One of those guys.

Yes.

QuoteSo it sounded like a lot of fun, actually.

YES! like a lot of fun! Fun like Aronofsky. Conspiratorial-paranoiac fun, straight-to-hell-addict fun, cancer fun, has-been fun, or destructive-perfectionist fun. Fun fun fun!

Quoteis our guess.

Yes.

Quoteit's still a possibility

Perhaps.

QuoteIt looks like Steven Spielberg isn't the only filmmaker dipping his toes in the Old Testament...

It does indeed. Not look like that.

Quoteand should it come together, Aronofsky will get there before him.

MY GOD YES YOU...MIGHT BE CORRECT, MAYBE, PERCHANCE.

QuoteFascinating stuff, and here's hoping we hear more soon.

NO NOT REALLY.

MacGuffin

Does Russell Crowe Float Your Boat As Noah In Darren Aronofsky's Biblical Film?
Source: Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Darren Aronofsky is ready to set sail on Noah, the Biblical story of Noah's Ark. I'm hearing that the Black Swan director wants Russell Crowe to play the title role in the New Regency/Paramount film. I can't tell you that this is all going to lead to a deal but signs are pointing that way. I have also heard Aronofsky wants The Grey star Liam Neeson for another role. It all starts with Noah, though and it's nice to see Crowe, one of those larger than life actors, entertaining the prospect of taking on such an iconic role. From Gladiator, L.A. Confidential, The Insider and on down, few actors match his intensity and talent. Gladiator scribe John Logan rewrote the script by Aronofsky and Ari Handel and Aronofsky and Scott Franklin are producing with Mary Parent. Crowe is repped by WME.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 02, 2012, 03:38:36 PMFrom Gladiator, L.A. Confidential, The Insider and on down, few actors match his intensity and talent.

Did they just use "Gladiator" and "talent" in the same sentence?

At least they didn't cite A Beautiful Mind.

MacGuffin

Darren Aronofsky's 'Noah' Has Release Date
BY DOMINIC PATTEN | Deadline

Paramount Pictures and New Regency have announced a March 28, 2014 release date for Noah. The film is directed by Black Swan's Darren Aronofsky. Russell Crowe, as Deadline first reported, will star as the Biblical builder of the Great Ark. The film reunites the Oscar winning actor with New Regency, which made LA Confidential with Crowe back in 1997, and with writer John Logan, who penned 2000's Gladiator. After initial work by Aronofsky and Ari Handel, Logan rewrote the Noah script.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jennifer Connelly & Saoirse Ronan Board Russell Crowe's Ark In Darren Aronofsky's 'Noah'

Rumors of their involvement have been circulating for the last week or so, and it looks like things are now set in place with Paramount honcho Adam Goodman confirming the addition of Jennifer Connelly and Saoirse Ronan to Darren Aronofsky's "Noah" for what he describes as a "perfect combination of casting."

The two actresses join Russell Crowe who will star as a man who has become disillusioned with the way humans have treated the planet and its animals, and then builds one helluva boat. No word on exactly which roles Connelly and Ronan will be taking, but Noah was a married man with three wedded sons, so there's plenty of female roles to go around. We're presuming Connelly is in line to play Mrs. Noah for what will be a reunion with Aronofsky after their time together on "Requiem For A Dream."

There's also a villain role of some sort floating around, which was reportedly being eyed by Liam Neeson, however, his name hasn't been heard of regarding this project for a while. Either way, Aronoksky going biblical is something we can't wait to see.

"It will be a big, robust production and will have tremendous scale. It's the perfect combination of casting and a remarkable adventure," Goodman explained. "This isn't what you think of when you think of Darren, but it will be very true to him as a filmmaker. It will be PG-13 and will likely cost around $125 million."

Due to front cameras this summer, "Noah" will take its time and won't flood cinemas until March 28, 2014.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 26, 2012, 09:10:25 AM
Jennifer Connelly

Darren Aronofsky

PG-13

What a waste.
under the paving stones.

Reel

I think he's already taken it just about as far you could go with her, unless you were expecting beastiality.

polkablues

jerome

MacGuffin

Jennifer Connelly Officially In Talks For Darren Aronofsky's 'Noah'

Even though his has been brewing since April -- when Paramount honcho Adam Goodman himself dropped her name -- sometimes, the gears turn slowly in Hollywood, and so it's only now that Jennifer Connelly is becoming officially....official, for Darren Aronofksy's "Noah."

Variety reports that the actress -- who the trades have been cautioning the past few weeks wasn't 100% locked down, but has been in the mix since taking part in table reads a while back -- has finally entered negotiations to join the biblical tale. She'll board this cinematic ark as Russell Crowe's wife, with Douglas Booth, Logan Lerman and Emma Watson all starring, and Ray Winstone as the "bad guy" who makes God angry enough to send down the mother of all rainstorms to wipe out humanity. Either that or he'll block the ark when Crowe tries to back it out of the driveway.

Production will begin on the film this summer, but you're gonna have to pray if you want to see it before March 28, 2014.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Logan Lerman?  Ugh. 

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche